SULI Argonne Internship - Things It Can Lead To

In summary: I am good enough. In summary, if you go to SULI and do well, your chances of getting into a top-tier graduate school are greatly increased.
ModestyKing
Hi there PF,

Say I get into SULI at Argonne (a current researcher there wants me to be in their group next summer and says it'll be pretty likely I'll get in). The work I do will of course be important, but does the brand name mean anything (to grad schools, employers like Intel/IBM, etc)? It'll be the summer before my senior year.

I'm planning on going to grad school for computational solid state physics (emphasis on semiconductor and/or superconductor research), if that helps at all. One of my potential career paths is end up as a researcher at Argonne and I also would like to know if that affects hiring decisions more than usual.

Finally, general advice on how to handle it is welcome!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Modesty,

Go for it ! Argonne is high on any list.

My one SULI student at Argonne went on to do his PhD at MIT. He's still there.

Zz.

Did (s)he go many years ago ? :smile:

Last edited:
Internships at the national labs are a big deal. I did a couple at BNL and turned down one at Argonne. This (and the resulting publications and letter of recommendation) was essential to being admitted to MIT for grad school. I also met my wife there. (A fringe benefit of the best internship programs is they tend to put some of the highest quality geeks in the same place - love happens.)

I would absolutely go for it. I did a SULI at Fermilab and not only loved it, but I made some great connections there and got some great LoRs.

As a practical matter, are you saying if you got a vSULI, you would turn it down if the "brand name" were not ritzy enough? And what would you do instead? (If you turn down a SULI, you don't get another offer)

Vanadium 50 said:
As a practical matter, are you saying if you got a vSULI, you would turn it down if the "brand name" were not ritzy enough? And what would you do instead? (If you turn down a SULI, you don't get another offer)

No, of course I wouldn't turn it down! I am fully planning on doing this, I know I would make connections there and learn a whole lot. Brand name doesn't matter to me personally, it was just one example of something I thought could be an impact factor for my future based on my SULI experience.

I want to make the most of my time there when I do it, so I'm also using this thread to ask about that. Should I focus on my research project? Make time for socializing with my peers, other Argonne faculty? Does doing SULI increase my chances of being accepted into it next year (at another lab maybe?) provided I do well? (perhaps that's something I can ask when I get there).

Thanks to the feedback from others. To clarify, I AM going to do this if I get the chance, but if there are things I can work on now to optimize my time there, what are they?

Note: if I speak in terms of confidently being able to get in, that's because my current prof. works at Argonne and would happily have me on their team

1. What is the SULI Argonne Internship?

The SULI Argonne Internship is a highly competitive program that offers undergraduate and graduate students the opportunity to conduct research at the U.S. Department of Energy's Argonne National Laboratory. It is a paid internship that typically lasts for 10 weeks during the summer.

2. What types of research can I expect to do during the internship?

The research projects at Argonne National Laboratory cover a wide range of scientific disciplines, including physics, chemistry, biology, materials science, and engineering. Interns will have the opportunity to work on cutting-edge research projects under the guidance of experienced scientists and engineers.

3. What are the benefits of participating in the SULI Argonne Internship?

Participating in the SULI Argonne Internship can provide you with valuable research experience, the opportunity to work with top scientists and engineers, and exposure to state-of-the-art facilities and equipment. It can also help you develop important skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication.

4. Can the SULI Argonne Internship lead to a job or further research opportunities?

Yes, the SULI Argonne Internship can be a great stepping stone to a career in science or engineering. Many former interns have gone on to work at Argonne National Laboratory or other national labs, while others have pursued graduate studies in their field of interest. The internship can also help you build a strong professional network that can open doors to future opportunities.

5. How can I apply for the SULI Argonne Internship?

The SULI Argonne Internship application process is competitive and typically opens in the fall. Interested students can apply through the Department of Energy's Office of Science website. Applicants must meet certain eligibility requirements, including being a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and having a minimum GPA of 3.0. Letters of recommendation and a personal statement are also required as part of the application.