Sum of convergent and divergent series

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that if two infinite series, one convergent and one divergent, are added together, the resulting series must also diverge. The suggested solution involves using a proof by contradiction and applying the theorem that states that the sum of two convergent series must also be convergent. The conversation ends with a clarification on how to use this theorem in the proof.
tarheelborn

Homework Statement

Prove that if [tex]$\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n$[/tex] converges and [tex]$\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n$[/tex] diverges, then [tex]$\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^\infty (a_n+b_n)$[/tex] diverges.

Homework Equations

I know that the limit of {a_n} = 0 because it is convergent, but I can't say anything about how {b_n} diverges.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I need to show that sum of the partial sums of the two series diverge, but I am not sure how to show it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a proof by contradiction. If

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty (a_n + b_n)[/tex]

converges, and so does

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n[/tex]

then what does that imply about

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n[/tex]

OK, so something like
Suppose (a_n+b_n) converges. Then, by the converse of the theorem that says if two infinite series are convergent, then their sum is convergent, a_n converges and b_n converges. But this is a contradiction since, by hypothesis, b_n diverges. Hence (a_n+b_n) must diverge.

Will this work? I am trying to improve my proof technique; I have had a bad habit of assuming too much. Thanks so much for your help!

tarheelborn said:
OK, so something like
Suppose (a_n+b_n) converges. Then, by the converse of the theorem that says if two infinite series are convergent, then their sum is convergent, a_n converges and b_n converges. But this is a contradiction since, by hypothesis, b_n diverges. Hence (a_n+b_n) must diverge.

Will this work? I am trying to improve my proof technique; I have had a bad habit of assuming too much. Thanks so much for your help!

It's not "by the converse of the theorem that says if two infinite series are convergent, then their sum is convergent". It is by that theorem itself. Why is that? It is because

[tex]b_n = (a_n + b_n) + (-a_n)[/tex]

You are given that

[tex]\sum a_n[/tex]

converges. Therefore

[tex]\sum(-a_n)[/tex]

also converges.

Now, what would happen if

[tex]\sum(a_n + b_n)[/tex]

were convergent?

Thanks!

Related to Sum of convergent and divergent series

1. What is the difference between a convergent and divergent series?

A convergent series is a series in which the terms approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases, while a divergent series is a series in which the terms do not approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases.

2. How do you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series, such as the integral test, comparison test, and ratio test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and can help determine if the series will approach a finite limit or not.

3. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series can only be either convergent or divergent. If the terms in a series approach a finite limit, it is considered convergent, while if the terms do not approach a finite limit, it is considered divergent.

4. What is the significance of the sum of a convergent series?

The sum of a convergent series is the value that the series approaches as the number of terms increases. It is a useful concept in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as in calculus and physics.

5. Is there a way to calculate the sum of a divergent series?

No, the sum of a divergent series cannot be calculated because the terms do not approach a finite limit. However, there are some techniques that can be used to assign a value to a divergent series, such as Cesàro summation and analytic continuation, but these methods are not always applicable or reliable.