Sum of the dot product of complex vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the summation of components in a complex vector. The equations and formulas used involve the dot product, summation, and complex numbers. The final line is questioned and alternative approaches are suggested, but it is not fully understood. The use of undefined symbols, such as e_p* and E_0, make it difficult to fully grasp the concept. The textbook being referenced is not specified.
happyparticle
Summary:: summation of the components of a complex vector

Hi,

In my textbook I have
##\widetilde{\vec{E_t}} = (\widetilde{\vec{E_i}} \cdot \hat{e_p}) \hat{e_p}##

##\widetilde{\vec{E_t}} = \sum_j( (\widetilde{\vec{E_{ij}}} \cdot {e_{p_j}}*) \hat{e_p}##

For ##\hat{e_p} = \hat{x}##
##\widetilde{\vec{E_{0i}}} = (E_{0x} \hat{x} \pm E_{0y} \hat{y} )e^{i\theta}##

Thus, ##\widetilde{\vec{E_0t}} = (\sum E_{0ij} e_{pj}*) \hat{e_p}##

and then
##\widetilde{\vec{E_0t}} = E_0 cos \theta \hat{x} + E_0 sin^* \theta (0) ##

I don't see how to get the last line. This is what I think.

##\widetilde{\vec{E_0t}} = [(E_{0x}e^{i \theta}] \hat{x}## where, ##e_{p}* = x - iy = 1## because ##\hat{e_p} = \hat{x}##

= ## E_{0x} (cos \theta + i sin \theta) \hat{x}##

I tried different way to get the same result, but I'm not sure to fully understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
EpselonZero said:
Summary:: summation of the components of a complex vector

Hi,

In my textbook I have
##\widetilde{\vec{E_t}} = (\widetilde{\vec{E_i}} \cdot \hat{e_p}) \hat{e_p}##

##\widetilde{\vec{E_t}} = \sum_j( (\widetilde{\vec{E_{ij}}} \cdot {e_{p_j}}*) \hat{e_p}##

For ##\hat{e_p} = \hat{x}##
##\widetilde{\vec{E_{0i}}} = (E_{0x} \hat{x} \pm E_{0y} \hat{y} )e^{i\theta}##

Thus, ##\widetilde{\vec{E_0t}} = (\sum E_{0ij} e_{pj}*) \hat{e_p}##

and then
##\widetilde{\vec{E_0t}} = E_0 cos \theta \hat{x} + E_0 sin^* \theta (0) ##

I don't see how to get the last line. This is what I think.

##\widetilde{\vec{E_0t}} = [(E_{0x}e^{i \theta}] \hat{x}## where, ##e_{p}* = x - iy = 1## because ##\hat{e_p} = \hat{x}##

= ## E_{0x} (cos \theta + i sin \theta) \hat{x}##

I tried different way to get the same result, but I'm not sure to fully understand.
Shouldn't ep* be a vector?
You write ep* = x -iy. That's a scalar.

Too many undefined notational symbols to guess at, which textbook are you using?

1. What is the dot product of complex vectors?

The dot product of two complex vectors is a mathematical operation that combines the magnitudes and directions of the vectors to produce a scalar value. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the vectors and then summing the results.

2. How is the dot product of complex vectors different from the dot product of real vectors?

The dot product of complex vectors is calculated in the same way as the dot product of real vectors, but it also takes into account the complex conjugate of one of the vectors. This means that the dot product of complex vectors can produce a complex number, whereas the dot product of real vectors always produces a real number.

3. What does the dot product of complex vectors tell us?

The dot product of complex vectors can tell us the angle between the two vectors, as well as the magnitude of one vector in the direction of the other. It can also be used to determine if two vectors are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other.

4. How is the dot product of complex vectors used in physics and engineering?

In physics and engineering, the dot product of complex vectors is used to calculate work done, power, and other physical quantities. It is also used in signal processing and electrical engineering to determine the correlation between two signals.

5. Can the dot product of complex vectors be negative?

Yes, the dot product of complex vectors can be negative. This occurs when the angle between the two vectors is greater than 90 degrees, indicating that the vectors are pointing in opposite directions.