Sum of transmitted EM waves

In summary: If the waves have a frequency that is too high, they will not enter. If the waves have a frequency that is too low, they will reflect off of the material.
carllacan

Homework Statement

We have an infinite plane of width 2b made of a magnetic, conducting material (μr >> 1, σ >> 1). Two monochromatic electromagnetic plane waves, with magnetic excitation vector amplitude Hs approach it, each one traveling towards one of its two faces. Find the current density J generated.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've taken the plane to be parallel to the XZ plane and centered on it, that is, it extends from y = -b to y = +b, for every z and x. The waves are traveling from y = -∞ and from y = ∞, respectively. I assumed that the frequencies and phases of both waves are equal.

Physically, here's what I think would happen: each wave will divide in a reflected and a transmitted wave upon reaching the interface. This transmitted wave will travel inside the material until it reaches the opposite interface, where it will again divide into a transmitted wave (into the air) and a reflected wave (into the material). This last reflected wave will repeat the process, infinitely.

Mathematically, what I've done so far is to set the equations for all the waves (only their H vector, since is what I'm given). For each region (y < -b; -b < y < b and y > b) I have a sum of two waves in opposite directions. I think it would suffice to use the boundary conditions for the H vector and find the six waves. The amplitudes of these waves will account for the "infinite" transmitted and reflected waves. Am I right?

Once I have the waves insides the material ##\vec J ## can be found just using ## \vec ∇ × \vec H = \vec J ##

Now, what if the frequencies were different? I think I would set, (a) on y < b, three waves, an incident wave from y = -∞ with frequency ω and two waves traveling from y = -b to y = -∞ with freqs ω and ω' (b) on -< < y < b four waves, one for each combination of directions and frequency, and (c) on y > b three waves similar to on y < -b, and then use the B. C. as before.

Physics news on Phys.org
How can an EM wave enter a conductive material? Would not the E-field be reduced to zero, and the wave not propagate?

Now that you mention it I have completely overlooked that detail. The exercise is redacted exactly as in my post, so... the field inside will just be 0?

Ok, the material is not a conductor to all frequencies, so if the waves have an appropriate ω they will enter the material.

What is the sum of transmitted EM waves?

The sum of transmitted electromagnetic (EM) waves is the total amount of energy that is passed through a medium, such as air or space, by EM waves.

How is the sum of transmitted EM waves calculated?

The sum of transmitted EM waves can be calculated by adding together the energy of all individual EM waves that are transmitted through a medium. This can be done by using mathematical formulas or through experimental measurements.

Why is the sum of transmitted EM waves important?

The sum of transmitted EM waves is important because it allows us to understand and measure the amount of energy that is being transferred from one location to another through EM waves. This is crucial in many fields, including telecommunications, remote sensing, and astronomy.

What factors can affect the sum of transmitted EM waves?

The sum of transmitted EM waves can be affected by various factors, such as the intensity and frequency of the waves, the distance they travel, and the properties of the medium they pass through. Other factors, such as interference and absorption, can also impact the total energy of the transmitted waves.

Can the sum of transmitted EM waves be manipulated?

Yes, the sum of transmitted EM waves can be manipulated through various methods, such as using antennas to amplify or focus the waves, or by using materials with different reflective or refractive properties. This manipulation allows for control over the amount and direction of energy transmitted through EM waves.