Sum of Two Subspaces: Exploring the Definition

In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of the sum of two subspaces U and W, which is the set of all possible sums of the elements of the two subspaces. It is shown that for the first case, the sum is equal to the set of all vectors of the form (x,y,0), while for the second case, the sum is equal to the set of all vectors of the form (x'+y',y',0) which is a subset of the first case. Therefore, it is concluded that the sum of two subspaces is the same as the set of all possible sums of the elements of the two subspaces.
Saladsamurai
This is an example that I am a little confused by:

[tex]U={(x,0,0)\in\mathbf{F}^3:x\in\mathbf{F}}\text{ and }W={(0,y,0)\in\mathbf{F}^3:y\in\mathbf{F}}[/tex]

Then
[tex]U+W={(x,y,0):x,y\in\mathbf{F}[/tex]

Okay, I get that. Now it says that U is defined the same as above but now let
[tex]W={(y,y,0)\in\mathbf{F}^3:y\in\mathbf{F}}[/tex]

Then the sum of U and W is the same as given above. Why is that? What is happening to that y that is in the "x" position?Perhaps I am confusing the definition of the sum of two lists with the sum of two subspaces.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If (a,b,0) is any point there is an x and y that solve it in the first case and there is also an x and y that solve it in the second case. Isn't this so? x and y are ANYTHING, right? Who cares what happened to the y?

Sorry. I guess I am getting lost in all of these definitions.

I guess I don't really understand what it means to 'Add' two subspaces...

See I have it in my head that I should be getting something like (x+y,y,0) ...but I know that is not right.

It says in my book that the "sum of two subspaces is the set of all possible sums of the elements of the two subspaces."

I guess I really don't understand what that means.:confused:

So if you have W in the first case:

U+W is the set of all vectors of the form u+w where u is in U and w in W. SO u+w = (x,0,0) + (0,y,0) = (x,y,0) where x and y are arbitrary.

For the second case, u=(x',0,0) for any x', and w = (y',y',0) for any y'. Then u+w = (x'+y',y',0). Now, we want to show that (x,y,0) is in U+W for arbitrary x and y. Given y, set y'=y and now we need that x'+y' =x i.e. x' = x-y. Hence we see we can find x' and y' such that u+w = (x,y,0) as required.

Basically, the point is that the set of all vectors of the form (x+y,y,0) is
1) two dimensional
2) contained in the set of all vectors of the form (x,y,0)

So they must be the same subspace

Office_Shredder: That is starting to sink in a little. Thanks for the explanation. I am finally at the end of this gruesome 1st chapter and can move onto the exercises. I think I will get a better understanding of these concepts by doing them.

Related to Sum of Two Subspaces: Exploring the Definition

1. What is the definition of the sum of two subspaces?

The sum of two subspaces is defined as the set of all vectors that can be expressed as the sum of one vector from the first subspace and one vector from the second subspace. It is denoted as V + W, where V and W are the two subspaces.

2. How is the sum of two subspaces different from the intersection of two subspaces?

The sum of two subspaces contains all possible combinations of vectors from the two subspaces, while the intersection only contains the vectors that are common to both subspaces. In other words, the sum of two subspaces is a larger set compared to the intersection.

3. Can the sum of two subspaces be a subspace itself?

Yes, the sum of two subspaces is always a subspace. This is because it satisfies all the properties of a subspace, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication.

4. How can we determine if a vector belongs to the sum of two subspaces?

A vector belongs to the sum of two subspaces if and only if it can be expressed as the sum of one vector from the first subspace and one vector from the second subspace. In other words, the vector is a linear combination of vectors from both subspaces.

5. Can the sum of two subspaces be equal to one of the subspaces?

Yes, the sum of two subspaces can be equal to one of the subspaces. This happens when one of the subspaces is a subset of the other, and their sum is equal to the larger subspace.