Sum to Infinity of a Geometric Series

In summary, the problem involves finding the value of t and the sum to infinity of a geometric sequence with the terms \frac{1}{t}, \frac{1}{t-1}, and \frac{1}{t+2}. The value of t is \frac{1}{4} and the sum to infinity is 3. Some users have suggested that the book's answer of 6 is incorrect.
odolwa99

Homework Statement

Q.: The numbers [itex]\frac{1}{t}[/itex], [itex]\frac{1}{t - 1}[/itex], [itex]\frac{1}{t + 2}[/itex] are the first, second and third terms of a geometric sequence.
Find (i) the value of t,
(ii) the sum to infinity of the series.

Homework Equations

S[itex]\infty[/itex] = [itex]\frac{a}{1 - r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already solved (i), the value of t = [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex].

Ans.: From textbook = 6

Attempt at (ii): S[itex]\infty[/itex] = [itex]\frac{a}{1 - r}[/itex]

a = [itex]\frac{1}{t}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{1/4}[/itex] = 4

r = [itex]\frac{U2}{U1}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{1}{t-1}[/itex]/ 4

[itex]\frac{1}{1/4 - 1}[/itex]/ 4

[itex]\frac{1}{-3/4}[/itex]/ 4

[itex]\frac{-4/3}{4}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{-4}{3}[/itex]([itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{-4}{12}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-1}{3}[/itex]

Lastly,
S[itex]\infty[/itex] = [itex]\frac{a}{1 - r}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{4}{1-(-1/3)}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{4}{1 + 1/3}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{4}{4/3}[/itex] = 4([itex]\frac{3}{4}[/itex]) = [itex]\frac{12}{4}[/itex] = 3

I have shown this problem on another site, and the other users seem to think that the book has the answer incorrect; with 3 being the correct value. I just wanted to post my attempt here too, to get a second opinion. Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, 3 seems to be correct here.

Great. Thanks for confirming that with me.

Related to Sum to Infinity of a Geometric Series

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a series in which each term is found by multiplying the previous term by a constant number, called the common ratio. It follows the form of an = a1r(n-1), where a1 is the first term and r is the common ratio.

2. What is the formula for finding the sum to infinity of a geometric series?

The formula for finding the sum to infinity of a geometric series is S = a1 / (1 - r), where a1 is the first term and r is the common ratio.

3. How can I determine if a geometric series converges or diverges?

A geometric series converges if the absolute value of the common ratio (|r|) is less than 1. If |r| is equal to or greater than 1, the series will diverge.

4. Can the sum to infinity of a geometric series be negative?

Yes, the sum to infinity of a geometric series can be negative. This occurs when the common ratio (r) is negative and the first term (a1) is also negative.

5. How can I use a geometric series in real-life applications?

Geometric series can be used in various real-life applications, such as compound interest calculations, population growth, and radioactive decay. They can also be used to model patterns in nature, such as the growth of a plant or the formation of snowflakes.