Summation of a Finite Series: Seeking the Sum with MAPLE or Other Software

In summary, the conversation centers around a request for help with obtaining a finite series sum related to the Mittag-Leffler function, with the original formula provided. The poster has tried using MATHEMATICA and another software, but has encountered difficulties. They mention using a bound for the Beta function to simplify the calculation, but are hoping to find a solution without relying on this approximate bound. They also mention a generalized version of the Mittag-Leffler function with additional parameters.
sarrah1
Dear Colleagues

I hope this post belongs here in calculus. It concerns a finite series for which I am seeking the sum. I tried using MATHEMATICA which didn't accept it. Perhaps if someone has Maple or any other software who can do it.

Here it is attached.

I shall be most grateful

Attachments

• formula.pdf
    11.3 KB · Views: 121
Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to say that a,b,c,k are all constants

sarrah said:
Dear Colleagues

I hope this post belongs here in calculus. It concerns a finite series for which I am seeking the sum. I tried using MATHEMATICA which didn't accept it. Perhaps if someone has Maple or any other software who can do it.

Here it is attached.

I shall be most grateful
Perhaps it would help to know where this sum came from?

-Dan

Thank you very much Dan

(first of all, all constants a,b,c,k are positive).
I am trying to obtain bound (inequality) for Mittag-Leffler function E and I am about to reach this bound however except by imposing some restriction on the mittag leffler parameters. What I did is that I replaced the product of the two gamma functions in the denominator by gamma(their sum) x Beta( , ), because their sum is independent of the index j so it can be taken outside of the summation. But then MATHEMATICA didn't calculate it either; for it seems it is a combination of gamma and Beta function. So I used the bound Beta(x ,y ) < 1/xy so that the expression inside the two gamma functions are reverted to the numerator. MATHEMATICA was able in this case to calculate it. So I am trying not to use the bound on the Beta function which is approximate but I am however left with the original attached summation to calculate.

If you are aware of the generalized mittag leffler function it has two subscripts a and b and one superscript c all positive parameters. Now my bound is true provided that the condition 2a+b>1 is satisfied. But I know well through another reflection that the bound is true irrespective of any values of a,b or c, and my inequality become valid therefore all the time.

very grateful
Sarrah

What is the purpose of finding the sum of a finite series?

The purpose of finding the sum of a finite series is to simplify and condense a large amount of data into a single value. This can make the data easier to analyze and interpret, as well as save time and effort in calculations.

How is the sum of a finite series calculated?

The sum of a finite series is calculated by adding up all the terms in the series. This can be done manually, but it can be time-consuming and prone to errors. Using software programs like MAPLE can make the calculation more efficient and accurate.

Why is MAPLE or other software recommended for finding the sum of a finite series?

MAPLE and other software programs are recommended for finding the sum of a finite series because they have built-in functions and algorithms specifically designed for this purpose. They can handle complex series and large amounts of data, making the process quicker and more accurate.

Can MAPLE or other software handle all types of series?

Yes, MAPLE and other software can handle a wide range of series, including arithmetic, geometric, and power series. They can also handle more complex series, such as infinite series and series with variable coefficients.

What are the limitations of using MAPLE or other software for finding the sum of a finite series?

The limitations of using MAPLE or other software for finding the sum of a finite series depend on the specific program and the complexity of the series. Some programs may have difficulty handling very large or divergent series, and may also be limited by computational power and memory constraints.