Summing a Series of Cubic Roots

In summary, the formula for summing a series of cubic roots is ∑(n=1 to k)∛(an), where n represents the index and k represents the number of terms in the series. The purpose of this is to find the total value of a sequence of numbers raised to the third power, which can be useful in various mathematical and scientific calculations. The main difference between summing a series of cubic roots and summing a series of square roots is the power they are raised to, with cubic roots generally resulting in a larger sum. Some real-life applications of this include engineering, physics, and finance. To avoid common mistakes, it is important to include all terms in the series, use the correct order of operations
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Sum the series below:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^{999}\dfrac{1}{a_n}\) where $a_n=\sqrt[3]{n^2-2n+1}+\sqrt[3]{n^2+2n+1}+\sqrt[3]{n^2-1}$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here is my solution.

Note

$$a_n = (n-1)^{2/3} + (n + 1)^{2/3} + (n-1)^{1/3}(n+1)^{1/3} = \frac{(n+1) - (n-1)}{\sqrt[3]{n+1} - \sqrt[3]{n-1}} = \frac{2}{\sqrt[3]{n+1} - \sqrt[3]{n-1}}.$$

Therefore

$$\sum_{n = 1}^{999} \frac{1}{a_n} = \frac{1}{2}\sum_{n = 1}^{999} (\sqrt[3]{n+1} - \sqrt[3]{n-1}) = \frac{1}{2}\sum_{n = 1}^{999} [(\sqrt[3]{n+1} - \sqrt[3]{n}) + (\sqrt[3]{n} - \sqrt[3]{n-1})]$$
$$ = \frac{1}{2}[(\sqrt[3]{1000} - \sqrt[3]{1}) + (\sqrt[3]{999} - \sqrt[3]{0})] = \frac{9 + 3\sqrt[3]{37}}{2}.$$

Euge said:
Here is my solution.

Note

$$a_n = (n-1)^{2/3} + (n + 1)^{2/3} + (n-1)^{1/3}(n+1)^{1/3} = \frac{(n+1) - (n-1)}{\sqrt[3]{n+1} - \sqrt[3]{n-1}} = \frac{2}{\sqrt[3]{n+1} - \sqrt[3]{n-1}}.$$

Therefore

$$\sum_{n = 1}^{999} \frac{1}{a_n} = \frac{1}{2}\sum_{n = 1}^{999} (\sqrt[3]{n+1} - \sqrt[3]{n-1}) = \frac{1}{2}\sum_{n = 1}^{999} [(\sqrt[3]{n+1} - \sqrt[3]{n}) + (\sqrt[3]{n} - \sqrt[3]{n-1})]$$
$$ = \frac{1}{2}[(\sqrt[3]{1000} - \sqrt[3]{1}) + (\sqrt[3]{999} - \sqrt[3]{0})] = \frac{9 + 3\sqrt[3]{37}}{2}.$$

Thanks Euge for participating in this IMO Problem from China!

For me, it took me a fraction of time to realize $a_n$ is a geometric series that consists of the first three terms. :)

Hi anemone,

What do you mean when you say that $a_n$ is a geometric series? There isn't a common ratio between consecutive terms.

Euge said:
Hi anemone,

What do you mean when you say that $a_n$ is a geometric series? There isn't a common ratio between consecutive terms.

Hi Euge,
If I rewrite $a_n$ in such a way that it now becomes $a_n=\sqrt[3]{n^2+2n+1}+\sqrt[3]{n^2-1}+\sqrt[3]{n^2-2n+1}$, then I noticed that

$\dfrac{\sqrt[3]{n^2-1}}{\sqrt[3]{n^2+2n+1}}=\dfrac{\sqrt[3]{n^2-2n+1}}{\sqrt[3]{n^2-1}}$

Therefore, $\sqrt[3]{n^2+2n+1}+\sqrt[3]{n^2-1}+\sqrt[3]{n^2-2n+1}$ is a geometric series with:
  • the first term $\sqrt[3]{n^2+2n+1}=(n+1)^{\frac{2}{3}}$ and
  • the common ratio of $\left(\dfrac{n-1}{n+1}\right)^{\frac{1}{3}}$.

Therefore, $a_n=\dfrac{((n+1)^{\frac{2}{3}})\left(1-\left(\left(\dfrac{n-1}{n+1}\right)^{\frac{1}{3}}\right)^3\right)}{1-\left(\dfrac{n-1}{n+1}\right)^{\frac{1}{3}}}=\dfrac{2}{(n+1)^{\frac{1}{3}}-(n-1)^{\frac{1}{3}}}$

Hi anemone,

Thanks for clarifying. Now I understand what you mean. (Nod)

Related to Summing a Series of Cubic Roots

What is the formula for summing a series of cubic roots?

The formula for summing a series of cubic roots is ∑(n=1 to k)∛(an), where n represents the index and k represents the number of terms in the series.

What is the purpose of summing a series of cubic roots?

The purpose of summing a series of cubic roots is to find the total value of a sequence of numbers raised to the third power, or cubic roots. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific calculations.

What is the difference between summing a series of cubic roots and summing a series of square roots?

The main difference between summing a series of cubic roots and summing a series of square roots is that cubic roots are raised to the third power, while square roots are raised to the second power. This means that cubic roots are generally larger numbers and will result in a larger sum.

What are some real-life applications of summing a series of cubic roots?

Summing a series of cubic roots can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and finance. For example, it can be used to calculate the total force exerted on an object in a mechanical system or to find the total amount of energy required for a chemical reaction.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when summing a series of cubic roots?

One common mistake to avoid when summing a series of cubic roots is to forget to include all the terms in the series. Another mistake is to mix up the order of operations, such as adding before taking the cubic root. It is also important to double-check calculations and use a calculator if necessary to avoid any errors.