Sumobot Competition: Torque vs RPM?

In summary, for a sumo robot competition with a weight limitation of 1kg and dimensions of 150mm*150mm, torque is more important than rpm. It is recommended to choose a motor with higher torque, even if it has lower rpm, as long as it can be geared down to increase torque. The peak power of electrical motors is usually at 1/2 the maximum no load rpm, but more torque can be generated at lower rpms. Therefore, it is important to consider the trade off between speed and torque when selecting a motor and gearing for the robot.
sarathyplkr5
hi .. ...
i am entering a sumobot competition..weight limitation 1kg..dimensions 150mm*150mm...what is more important
torque or rpm...say i have 10 rpm motors with 38kg torque ...and ..60 rpm motors with 20 kg torque...which should i go for...due to the size limitation ..i can go only for 2 motors...any comment is appreciated... Wink

Physics news on Phys.org
Every single things are not perfect. They will come with pros and cons. With this kind of competition, I would go for TORQUE.

Put it this way, just imagine a big truck can carry a load that heavier than its weight. Even it move at low rpm but still can pull its load with high torque.

In your case, you are about to build a sumo robot, I suggest you go for a motor that has a higher torque than rpm itself.

Just my humble opinions.

thanks a lot...

sarathyplkr5 said:
hi .. ...
i am entering a sumobot competition..weight limitation 1kg..dimensions 150mm*150mm...what is more important
torque or rpm...say i have 10 rpm motors with 38kg torque ...and ..60 rpm motors with 20 kg torque...which should i go for...due to the size limitation ..i can go only for 2 motors...any comment is appreciated... Wink

If you gear down the 60 rpm motor to 10rpm, it will give you 6 times the torque it had at 60 rpm. What matters is power = torque x angular velocity. In your example the 60 rpm motor has much more power, so it can potentially create more torque at the same angular velocity.

Assuming you can gear the motors, then you're looking for power that is geared down so that the geared down and multiplied torque is at a maximum. See if you can get the specific motor performance curves for the two motors you're considering.

Note that electrical motors usually produce peak power at 1/2 the maximum no load rpm, but will generate more torque at lower rpms than higher rpms. Link to article that explains this:

dc_motors.html

You'll need to decide on a trade off of speed versus the torque after gearing reduction of your bot when choosing the motor and the gearing.

1. What is the difference between torque and RPM in a sumobot competition?

Torque and RPM are two important factors in a sumobot competition that determine the performance and speed of the robot. Torque refers to the rotational force or strength of the motor, while RPM (revolutions per minute) is a measure of how fast the motor can rotate. In simpler terms, torque affects the pushing and lifting power of the robot, while RPM affects its speed and agility.

2. Which is more important for winning a sumobot competition - torque or RPM?

Both torque and RPM are equally important in a sumobot competition, as they each contribute to different aspects of the robot's performance. A high torque motor can help a robot push and lift opponents, while a high RPM motor can help it move quickly and dodge attacks. The key is to find a balance between the two to create a well-rounded and competitive robot.

3. How can I increase the torque and RPM of my sumobot?

In order to increase the torque and RPM of a sumobot, you can use a more powerful motor or add gears to the motor to increase its output. Additionally, you can optimize the design and weight distribution of the robot to maximize the motor's performance. It's also important to regularly maintain and replace worn out parts to ensure the motor is functioning at its full potential.

4. Can torque and RPM be adjusted during a sumobot competition?

No, torque and RPM cannot be adjusted during a sumobot competition. Once the robot is built and the motor is chosen, the torque and RPM are fixed and cannot be changed. This is why it's important to carefully choose the right motor and design the robot accordingly to optimize its performance.

5. Are there any other factors besides torque and RPM that can affect a sumobot's performance?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect a sumobot's performance, such as the design and weight distribution of the robot, the type and condition of the surface it's competing on, and the opponent's strategy and abilities. It's important to consider all these factors when designing and building a competitive sumobot.