Sun observation (Gregor / Teneriffa)

In summary: I only took one photo from the article. Yes, I did not link it. It carried not much information and people are looking for the photos anyway.
fresh_42
Mentor
Insights Author
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
New images from the sun observed by Gregor on Teneriffa
Here is a nice example which shows how far popular science and actual science are apart. On one hand we have the eye catching photos of the sun's surface:
10ad-4d2c-b070-90fd6836c1d4_w948_r1.77_fpx47_fpy53.jpg

l2-2020-07-08T115241.524cut2.jpg

bdm-2020-09-01-mov.gif
whereas the corresponding scientific paper on the other hand is very different:

GREGOR: Optics redesign and updates from 2018–2020
https://www.aanda.org/articles/aa/pdf/2020/09/aa38208-20.pdf
The GREGOR telescope was inaugurated in 2012. In 2018, we began a complete upgrade, involving optics, alignment, instrumentation, mechanical upgrades for vibration reduction, updated control systems, and building enhancements, and in addition, adapted management and policies. This paper describes all major updates performed during this time. Since 2012, all powered mirrors except for M1 were exchanged. Since March 2020, GREGOR observes with diffraction-limited performance and a new optics and instrument layout.

• Love
Likes PAllen, Charles Link and etotheipi
Astronomy news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Summary:: New images from the sun observed by Gregor on Teneriffa

whereas the corresponding scientific paper on the other hand is very different:
I don't get what you think is very different ?
what specifically is your issue ?

Likes russ_watters
I just wanted to point out why we normally aren't happy with popular science sources, and give an example to future astronomers, at least for the experimental physicists among them, how a result of their work typically looks like.

And besides this, of course, I like the incredible details of the photos.

Likes davenn
fresh_42 said:
Summary:: New images from the sun observed by Gregor on Teneriffa

On one hand we have the eye catching photos of the sun's surface:

etc
However, it has to be true that, without a vast amount of engineering detail and enthusiasm for equipment, there would be no nice pictures. The equipment and the engineering has vast appeal, once you've been bitten by the bug.

The same sort of thing applies to Broadcasting, Communications and even creative arts and sport.

I think it is regrettable that the paper does not link to a source with sample images. Why not include:

http://www.leibniz-kis.de/en/institute/pictures-of-the-month/single-view/europes-largest-solar-telescope-gregor-unveils-magnetic-details-of-the-sun-1/

as a link for results of the improved optics in the paper? (Note, this link points to the paper, but not vice versa).

Likes russ_watters
PAllen said:
I think it is regrettable that the paper does not link to a source with sample images. Why not include:
Is it really regrettable? To me, it's perfectly understandable. The paper is full of appropriate images of equipment and of measurement results, which is what the readers want. Which solar images would they choose to link to which could actually demonstrate the difference in image quality (before and after)? There would be a fair bit of work to pick out suitable images - just for the punters.

Likes russ_watters
fresh_42 said:
Here is a nice example which shows how far popular science and actual science are apart. On one hand we have the eye catching photos of the sun's surface:
[separate post]
I just wanted to point out why we normally aren't happy with popular science sources...
davenn said:
I don't get what you think is very different ?
what specifically is your issue ?
@fresh_42 I'm not seeing any examples of "popular science" here. What am I missing? Are you saying the photos are "popular science"? Are they really?
PAllen said:
Part of my confusion about this thread is that the paper linked in the OP isn't really a scientific paper, it is a report describing the capabilities and construction of an instrument. I tend to agree that providing a sample image would be nice, but it isn't necessarily needed when discussing the technical details of the instrument. But of course when the telescope produces scientific output, at least samples of that output will often be included in the resulting papers. The pretty pictures are the source data and/or the output!

For example, the black hole photo from last year:
https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/2041-8213/ab0ec7/pdf

Last edited:
Likes davenn
sophiecentaur said:
Is it really regrettable? To me, it's perfectly understandable. The paper is full of appropriate images of equipment and of measurement results, which is what the readers want. Which solar images would they choose to link to which could actually demonstrate the difference in image quality (before and after)? There would be a fair bit of work to pick out suitable images - just for the punters.
I could go either way. When you go to a department store to buy a telescope you will often find sample images on the box. The choice of image would be arbitrary but representative. But I certainly agree the most important picture to include is a picture of the telescope!

russ_watters said:
@fresh_42 I'm not seeing any examples of "popular science" here. What am I missing? Are you saying the photos are "popular science"? Are they really?
I only took one photo from the article. Yes, I did not link it. It carried not much information and people are looking for the photos anyway. The original article had only one photo and was in german. I took the other two photos from the source @PAllen has linked above.

russ_watters said:
When you go to a department store to buy a telescope you will often find sample images on the box.
Very true. And, btw, those images are all lies. They never show you the subtle view you can see with your eyes through a scope. They are advertising material, using highly processed astrophotographs.
The advertising material in that German paper is the performance data and graphs.
I guess if there were a 'Piano Tuner's Weekly' magazine, all the articles and ads would be about equipment and techniques for tuning pianos and not about performances by concert pianists.

Likes russ_watters
Good collection of videos of our sun, start at 00:36,1:20, 2:09, ect.

1599328223295.png

After ten years of development, the new German solar telescope GREGOR will start operating at Observatorio del Teide of the Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias on Tenerife. It is the largest solar telescope in Europe and number three worldwide. It will provide the Spanish, German and international communities of solar physicists with new and better instrumentation which will enable them to investigate our home star in unprecedented detail. The GREGOR solar telescope has been built by a German consortium under the leadership of the Kiepenheuer-Institut für Sonnenphysik in Freiburg with the Leibniz-Institut für Astrophysik Potsdam and the Max-Planck-Institut für Sonnensystemforschung in Katlenburg/Lindau as partners, and with contributions by the Instituto de Astrofísica de Canarias, the Institut für Astrophysik Göttingen, and the Astronomical Institute of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic.

1. What is the Gregor solar telescope and where is it located?

The Gregor solar telescope is a state-of-the-art instrument for observing the Sun. It is located on the island of Tenerife in the Canary Islands, Spain.

2. What makes Tenerife an ideal location for solar observation?

Tenerife is located at a high altitude and has clear, stable skies, making it an ideal location for solar observation. It is also far from major sources of light pollution.

3. How does the Gregor solar telescope differ from other solar telescopes?

The Gregor solar telescope has a large 1.5-meter primary mirror and advanced adaptive optics, allowing for high-resolution imaging of the Sun's surface. It also has a spectrograph for studying the Sun's magnetic fields and a polarimeter for measuring the polarization of light.

4. What type of research is conducted using the Gregor solar telescope?

The Gregor solar telescope is used for a variety of research, including studying the Sun's magnetic fields, solar flares, and sunspots. It is also used to observe and track solar activity that could impact Earth's space weather.

5. Can anyone visit the Gregor solar telescope and observe the Sun?

The Gregor solar telescope is primarily used for scientific research, but there are occasional public viewing events and tours available. However, due to the sensitivity of the equipment and the potential danger of looking directly at the Sun, only trained professionals are allowed to operate the telescope.