Sun powered by quantum tunneling - question

In summary, the temperature needed for nuclear fusion to occur is around 100 Million Kelvin, and the hottest part of the sun is only at 27 Million Kelvin. The reason nuclear fusion is occurring in the sun is because of quantum tunneling—allowing a very small fraction of the hydrogen to fuse to helium even below the 100MK requirement.
brajesh
I recently found out that for nuclear fusion to occur the temperature needs to be around 100 Million Kelvin and that the hottest part of the sun is only at 27 Million Kelvin. And that the reason nuclear fusion is occurring in the sun is because of quantum tunneling—allowing a very small fraction of the hydrogen to fuse to helium even below the 100MK requirement.

Is this correct?
If so, I have a question.

Q - Is this what prevents the sun from blowing up? In other words, if it was at 100MK then all the hydrogen would fuse to helium and the sun would be used up almost all at once right?

Physics news on Phys.org
brajesh said:
if it was at 100MK then all the hydrogen would fuse to helium and the sun would be used up almost all at once right?

Certainly a lot faster, yes.

Likes brajesh
brajesh said:
I recently found out

Where? Please give a specific reference.

brajesh said:
I recently found out that for nuclear fusion to occur the temperature needs to be around 100 Million Kelvin

First, there is not a hard cutoff between "occurs" and "doesn't occur", even without taking quantum effects into account. The temperature is only the average kinetic energy of the particles; the relevant quantity is not whether a particular reaction will occur (such as fusion), but how the rate at which it occurs depends on the temperature, which basically amounts to what fraction of the gas particles at a given temperature will be expected to have energies at or above the threshold energy for the reaction.

Second, the threshold energy, and therefore the rate as a function of temperature, depends on the particular fusion reaction; some reactions have lower thresholds than others. See, for example, the graph towards the end of the "Requirements" section in the Wikipedia article on nuclear fusion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_fusion#Requirements

brajesh said:
the reason nuclear fusion is occurring in the sun is because of quantum tunneling

"Quantum tunneling" might be too narrow a term. But it is true that reaction rates calculated with quantum effects taken into account are significantly different than reaction rates calculated without them, and that the former are more accurate.

Likes brajesh
@PeterDonis nice chart, thank you for the explanation.
I googled "what temperature is needed for fusion" and out popped the result "100M Celcius"

PeterDonis said:
Where? Please give a specific reference.

I think this is after the OP question.
Because I just watch this video and looking explanation in PF Forum.

1618797691350.png

brajesh said:
Google is many things, but a single authoritative source for scientific facts is not one of them. I have already explained in a previous post what is wrong with the claim shown in the quote above. The Wikipedia article I linked to earlier is a better starting point; also it gives good references to better sources.

Likes brajesh

1. How does quantum tunneling work?

Quantum tunneling is a phenomenon in which a particle can pass through a potential barrier even though it does not have enough energy to overcome the barrier. This is possible due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where a particle can exist in multiple states simultaneously.

2. What is the connection between quantum tunneling and the sun's power?

The sun's power is generated through nuclear fusion, where hydrogen atoms fuse together to form helium. This process involves quantum tunneling, as the particles need to overcome the repulsive force between them in order to fuse. Without quantum tunneling, the sun would not be able to produce the immense amount of energy that sustains life on Earth.

3. Is the sun powered solely by quantum tunneling?

No, quantum tunneling is just one aspect of the sun's power generation. The sun also relies on other processes such as nuclear fusion, gravitational contraction, and electromagnetic radiation to produce energy.

4. Can we harness quantum tunneling to create renewable energy?

While quantum tunneling plays a crucial role in the sun's power generation, it is not currently possible to harness it for renewable energy on Earth. The conditions required for quantum tunneling to occur are very specific and difficult to replicate on a large scale.

5. How does the study of quantum tunneling in the sun help us understand other phenomena in the universe?

Studying quantum tunneling in the sun can provide insights into other processes that occur in the universe, such as nuclear reactions in stars and the behavior of particles in extreme conditions. It also helps us better understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and how they govern the behavior of particles at a microscopic level.