Sun's Magnetic Field, Global Warming

In summary, the conversation discusses the solar cycle, which is the periodical change in the Sun's magnetic poles every 11 years. It also touches on the increase in sunspots during this cycle and the potential impact on Earth's atmosphere. The conversation also mentions the Maunder Minimum, a period of low sunspot activity, and how sunspots can affect the climate. However, there is still much unknown about the long-term patterns of sunspots and their impact on the climate.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
In the class our prof said, Sun changes its magnetic poles in every 11 year.And when changes the black spots on the sun increases Is this true ?
Also she said Sun's cosmic radiation waves destroyes the upper atmosphere of earth.It was something like this.I don't quite remember.Actually thata the reason why I am asking to these questions here.She also said for 60 years Earth was hot due to this reason.

Any different ideas ? Things that you want to change ?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
In the class our prof said, Sun changes its magnetic poles in every 11 year.And when changes the black spots on the sun increases Is this true ?

Yes, this is known as the solar cycle.

Arman777 said:
Also she said Sun's cosmic radiation waves destroyes the upper atmosphere of earth.It was something like this.I don't quite remember.Actually thata the reason why I am asking to these questions here.She also said for 60 years Earth was hot due to this reason.

The Sun's radiation isn't destroying the atmosphere. UV radiation is absorbed by the atmosphere, especially the ozone layer, but I've never heard of it being a major contributor to global warming. There are thousands upon thousands of different things that affect the global climate and just trying to identify them all is extremely complicated, let alone figuring out how they all interact with each other and how much effect each one has.

Drakkith said:
Yes, this is known as the solar cycle.
The Sun's radiation isn't destroying the atmosphere. UV radiation is absorbed by the atmosphere, especially the ozone layer, but I've never heard of it being a major contributor to global warming. There are thousands upon thousands of different things that affect the global climate and just trying to identify them all is extremely complicated, let alone figuring out how they all interact with each other and how much effect each one has.
I see, maybe she said something else but I don't quite remember it.Probably I said it wrong in here.Do we know why black spots on the sun increase due to magnetic field changes ?

I honestly don't know. Perhaps someone else here can answer that.

Arman777 said:
.It was something like this.I don't quite remember

With all due respect, shouldn't you pay more attention in class? "My teacher said something that I don't remember - please explain it to me" is a very difficult question to answer.

Vanadium 50 said:
With all due respect, shouldn't you pay more attention in class? "My teacher said something that I don't remember - please explain it to me" is a very difficult question to answer.
I was listening but it was near the end of class and class is like 100 people so I couldn't hear then I thought I could ask her but another people went her to ask things so I thought I can ask in here.

I looked also this and its interesting actually.As my prof said sunspots are increasing during these magnetic field changes

"Sunspots eventually decay, releasing magnetic flux in the photosphere. This flux is dispersed and churned by turbulent convection and solar large-scale flows. These transport mechanisms lead to the accumulation of magnetized decay products at high solar latitudes, eventually reversing the polarity of the polar fields (notice how the blue and yellow fields reverse in the Hathaway/NASA/MSFC graph above).The dipolar component of the solar magnetic field reverses polarity around the time of solar maximum and reaches peak strength at the solar minimum." (Wikipedia,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cycle)

So I think here explains why we observe more sunspots.But I didnt quite understand it.Also I looked how the solar cycle affects climate and it says it nearly doesn't affect.
500px-Sunspot_Numbers.png

In this graph Sunspots are increasing (in average) is that means something ?

Arman777 said:
In this graph Sunspots are increasing (in average) is that means something ?
Not as far as I know. Our Sun is more than 4 billion years old but we've only been keeping records of sunspots for a few hundred years. If we could look back over this long time period it's likely we would see averages far above what we see now and stretches of highs and lows that last for much longer than perhaps 50 years.

Drakkith said:
Not as far as I know. Our Sun is more than 4 billion years old but we've only been keeping records of sunspots for a few hundred years. If we could look back over this long time period it's likely we would see averages far above what we see now and stretches of highs and lows that last for much longer than perhaps 50 years.
Makes sense..

Related to Sun's Magnetic Field, Global Warming

What is the Sun's magnetic field and how does it affect global warming?

The Sun's magnetic field is a result of the flow of plasma and electric currents within the Sun's interior. It extends throughout the solar system and interacts with the Earth's magnetic field. The strength and orientation of the Sun's magnetic field can impact the Earth's climate by affecting the amount of solar radiation that reaches the Earth's surface.

Is there a relationship between the Sun's magnetic field and global warming?

There is ongoing research and debate about the potential link between the Sun's magnetic field and global warming. Some studies suggest that variations in the Sun's magnetic field can contribute to changes in Earth's climate, while others argue that human activities are the primary driver of global warming.

Can changes in the Sun's magnetic field explain the current trends in global temperature?

While the Sun's magnetic field can impact Earth's climate, it is not the sole contributor to global warming. Other factors such as greenhouse gas emissions from human activities and natural climate cycles also play a significant role in the Earth's temperature trends.

How can scientists study the Sun's magnetic field and its impact on global warming?

Scientists use a variety of tools and methods to study the Sun's magnetic field, including spacecraft observations, ground-based telescopes, and computer simulations. By studying the Sun's magnetic field and its interactions with the Earth's magnetic field, scientists can gain a better understanding of its possible effects on global warming.

What does current research suggest about the future of the Sun's magnetic field and its impact on global warming?

There is ongoing research and debate about the future of the Sun's magnetic field and its potential impact on global warming. Some studies suggest that the Sun's magnetic field may weaken in the coming decades, which could potentially slow down the rate of global warming. However, further research is needed to fully understand the relationship between the Sun's magnetic field and global warming.