Supercell Tight Binding: Understanding and Troubleshooting

In summary, my problem is that I don't know what I'm doing wrong and I don't know how to get band structures/DOS from supercell hamiltonians.
StangeLoop
Hello all,

I have been having trouble getting my tight binding code to work. For those interested, I am using an spds* orbital basis set on silicon and coding in matlab.

My largest problem is that I simply cannot find out what is wrong with my code so I am inclined to think that I have some conceptual misunderstanding about getting band structures/DOS from supercell hamiltonians. I say this because my bulk silicon hamiltonian works beautifully, yet my supercell hamiltonian is absolute trash. Unfortunately, while there are tons of papers using the supercell approach, there are no example hamiltonians I can bench mark my own to.

The basic supercell I am using is an 8-atom cell that is tiled in a simple cubic fashion. As I understand it, the lattice Fourier transform of a many-atom cell looks something like:

[tex]E(k) = \sum_{R, \tau} E(r) e^{i k \cdot R} e^{i k \cdot \tau}[/tex]
where [tex]\tau[/tex] is the distance between atoms and a sum over all atoms in the cell is implied, of course R being the lattice vectors. So then, assuming only nearest-neighbour interactions my Hamiltonian ought to look something like this (the following being in block form, with each index being an atomic site):

[tex]
\[
H =
\left[ {\begin{array}{cccccccc}
D & T(u) & 0 & T(x) & 0 & T(v) & 0 & T(w) \\
T(-u) & D & T(-x) & 0 & T(-v) & 0 & T(-w) & 0 \\
0 & T(x) & D & T(u) & 0 & T(w) & 0 & T(v) \\
T(-x) & 0 & T(-u) & D & T(-w) & 0 & T(-v) & 0 \\
0 & T(v) & 0 & T(w) & D & T(u) & 0 & T(x) \\
T(-v) & 0 & T(-w) & 0 & T(-u) & D & T(-x) & 0 \\
0 & T(w) & 0 & T(v) & 0 & T(x) & D & T(u) \\
T(-w) & 0 & T(-v) & 0 & T(-x) & 0 & T(-u) & D \\
\end{array} } \right]
\]
[/tex]
Where D is a diagonal, on-site term and T(X) are the inter-atom hopping terms in some bond direction [u = (1, 1, 1), v = (-1, 1, -1), w = (-1, -1, 1), x = (1, -1, -1)]. In my code this vector is used to determine the coefficients for the orbital interactions via the Slater-Koster relations and also to multiply the term by [tex]\exp(i \cdot X)[/tex], where X is again one of those vectors. So according to me, for the periodic boundary conditions to be satisfied all that is required is that I 'pretend' that the crystal is translated and just use the appropriate bond vector to connect i. e. an atom on the left edge to an atom on the right edge. However, doesn't this imply that my lattice Fourier transform and real space Hamiltonian are the same? Is this my error or is it the case that the lattice Fourier transforms of SC lattices are themselves?

For clarity, here are the indices of my atoms:
----4------8
3------7----
----2----- 6
1------5----

If someone could provide me with an example of a supercell hamiltonian that is correct, I think that would be most helpful because then I could spot the error on my own without debugging via proxy. Sorry if I have failed to explain myself enough I will be happy to clarify.

Physics news on Phys.org
StangeLoop said:
If someone could provide me with an example of a supercell hamiltonian that is correct, I think that would be most helpful because then I could spot the error on my own without debugging via proxy. Sorry if I have failed to explain myself enough I will be happy to clarify.

Hi,

I just tried to work this out, but I chose a different basis labeling... but perhaps this will be useful to you all the same.

Also, in the Hamiltonian you wrote down there seems to be no "k" (wave vector) dependence... was this just a typo? I.e., did you mean e^(ik.X) for T(X)?

Anyways, with reference to the cubic cell of side 'a' I chose the basis atom locations:
1) (0,0,0); 2) (0,a/2,a/2); 3) (a/2,0,a/2); 4) (a/2,a/2,0);
5) (a/4,a/4,a/4); 6) (a/4,3a/4,3a/4); 7) (3a/4,a/4,3a/4); 8) (3a/4, 3a/4,a/4).

Then after Fourier transforming with respect to the cubic lattice the hopping part of the Hamiltonian (i.e., leaving off the diagonal bit) is given by
[tex]
H=(\vec c^\dagger_{\vec k})\cdot{\bf h}(k)\cdot{\vec c_{\vec k}}\;,
[/tex]
where
[tex]
\vec c^\dagger_{\vec k}=(c^\dagger_{\vec k,1},c^\dagger_{\vec k,2},\ldots,c^\dagger_{\vec k,8})
[/tex]
and where
[tex]
\[
{\bf h}(k) =
\left[ {\begin{array}{cccccccc}
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & t_k(-\hat y-\hat z) & t_k(-\hat x-\hat z) & t_k(-\hat x-\hat y) \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 1 & t_k(-\hat x) & t_k(-\hat x) \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & t_k(-\hat y) & 1 & t_k(-\hat y) \\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & t_k(-\hat z) & t_k(-\hat z) & 1 \\
1 & 1 & 1 & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
t_k(+\hat y+\hat z) & 1 & t_k(\hat y) & t_k(\hat z) & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
t_k(\hat x+\hat z) & t_k(\hat x) & 1 & t_k(\hat z) & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
t_k(\hat x+\hat y) & t_k(\hat x) & t_k(\hat y) & 1 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
\end{array} } \right]
\]
[/tex]
where
[tex]
t_k(\vec v)=e^{ia{\vec k}\cdot\vec v}\;.
[/tex]

Yes, that was a typo. Regardless, thanks for the excellent reply it helped greatly.

EDIT: Just one quick question to make sure I'm assuming right, does
[tex]
\vec c_{\vec k,n}= e^{i \vec k \cdot \vec R_n}
[/tex]
Where [tex] \vec R_n [/tex] is a vector pointing from some origin to the atom labeled n?

Lastly, is the product
[tex]
H=(\vec c^\dagger_{\vec k})\cdot{\bf h}(k)\cdot{\vec c_{\vec k}}
[/tex]
carried out component-wise? Because (Row Vector) * (Matrix) * (Column Vector) = (Scalar) so is it correct that row 1 of the matrix is multiplied by row 1 of the column vector etc.?

EDITEDIT:
Ignore the above. Is [tex] c_{\vec k,n}[/tex] a creation/annihilation operator? If so, should there be a phase factor between sites? I believe that otherwise my implementation is correct but I will look into it further. I don't think that [tex] c^\dagger_{\vec k,1}c_{\vec k,5}[/tex] introduces a phase factor in addition to the hopping term, but I've been wrong before. In fact, as I have it written the only time phase factors or wave vectors come into play is due to the translation vectors, or the h matrix as you have written it. This is incorrect?

Last edited:
For those interested this seems to have worked. Apparently there is something wrong with the way I generate supercells, but when I typed it out by hand it worked. Thanks.

1. What is "Supercell Tight Binding"?

"Supercell Tight Binding" is a computational method used in materials science to calculate the electronic structure and properties of materials at the atomic level. It combines the concepts of tight binding theory and the supercell approximation to model the electronic structure of materials with periodic structures.

2. How does Supercell Tight Binding differ from other computational methods?

Supercell Tight Binding is different from other methods such as density functional theory because it is more computationally efficient and can handle larger systems. It also takes into account the effects of electron-electron interactions and can provide more accurate results for materials with complex electronic structures.

3. What are the main advantages of using Supercell Tight Binding?

Some of the main advantages of Supercell Tight Binding include its ability to accurately model materials with periodic structures, its computational efficiency, and its ability to handle large systems. It can also provide insight into the electronic structure and properties of materials that are difficult to study experimentally.

4. What are the limitations of Supercell Tight Binding?

One limitation of Supercell Tight Binding is that it does not take into account the effects of temperature and cannot accurately model materials at high temperatures. It also cannot accurately model materials with strong electron correlations or systems with strong disorder.

5. How can one get started with using Supercell Tight Binding?

To get started with using Supercell Tight Binding, one should have a basic understanding of solid state physics and electronic structure calculations. It is also helpful to have some programming knowledge as the method requires the use of specialized software. There are also many online resources and tutorials available to help beginners get started with Supercell Tight Binding.