Understand Tight Binding Method: Coulomb Potential, 2D Case & More

In summary, the tight binding method is an approach used to calculate the band structure in solids. It involves using a mathematical formalism, specifically the Schrödinger equation, to determine the energy of an electron in a crystal lattice. This involves considering the Coulomb potential from other atoms in the lattice and using a Slater determinant type wave function to describe the many particle wave-function. The electron density at a specific position can be calculated using this wave function and multiplying by the number of electrons in the system.
says
I'm trying to understand the tight binding method but I'm struggling with a lot of the mathematical formalism. A lot of the mathematical formalism I read jumps into explaining it a few too many steps ahead of where my understanding is.

I understand it's an approach to calculating the band structure in solids.

[(-ħ2/2m)∇2 + V(r)]Ψ = EΨ

Coulomb potential for a hydrogen atom:

V(r) = -e2/4πϵr

Right now I'm imagining a 2D case where hydrogen atoms are lined up in a row. The electron in question experiences a coulomb potential from other atoms in the crystal.

i V(r - Ri)

This will tell us what all the other coulomb potentials are. When we expand it out we get V(r) [the coulomb potential the electron experiences from it's own nucleus] and V(Ri) - [the potential the electron experiences from the nucleus of nearby atoms]

[(-ħ2/2m)∇2 + ∑i V(r - Ri)] = EΨ

This only describes what the energy of 1 electron is. From here I get a bit confused with it all.

Physics news on Phys.org
With each tight-binding wave function, you can get a wave function with a given ## \vec{k} ##. You can combine a bunch of them with a Slater determinant type wave function so that the many particle wave-function is anti-symmetric w.r.t. the interchange of two particles. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slater_determinant
Perhaps this is helpful. ## \\ ## To calculate the electron density at position ## x ## using a multi-electron wave function, you take e.g. (for 3 electrons) ## \int \Psi^*(x,x_2,x_3)\Psi(x,x_2, x_3)\,dx_2\, dx_3 +\int \Psi^*(x_1,x,x_3)\Psi(x_1,x, x_3) \, dx_1 \, dx_3+\int \Psi^*(x_1,x_2,x)\Psi(x_1,x_2,x) \, dx_1 \, dx_2 ##, where ## \Psi(x_1,x_2, x_3) ## is the Slater determinant wave function. With the Slater determinant wave function, these 3 integrals are equal, so you only need to compute one of them, and then you multiply by ## N ##.

Last edited:

1. What is the Tight Binding Method?

The Tight Binding Method is a mathematical approach used in condensed matter physics to model the electronic structure of solids. It is a simplified version of the Schrödinger equation that takes into account the interactions between electrons and the atomic nuclei in a crystal lattice.

2. How does the Coulomb Potential affect the Tight Binding Method?

The Coulomb Potential, also known as the electrostatic potential, is a key component of the Tight Binding Method. It describes the interactions between electrons and the positively charged atomic nuclei in a crystal lattice. This potential is used to calculate the energy levels and wavefunctions of the electrons in the system.

3. How is the Tight Binding Method applied in 2D systems?

In 2D systems, the Tight Binding Method is used to model the electronic structure of materials that are confined to a two-dimensional plane, such as graphene or thin films. The method takes into account the interactions between electrons in the same plane, as well as the interactions with the adjacent planes.

4. What are some limitations of the Tight Binding Method?

While the Tight Binding Method is a powerful tool for studying the electronic structure of solids, it does have some limitations. It assumes a perfect crystal lattice and does not take into account the effects of temperature or external forces. It also becomes more computationally intensive for larger systems.

5. How is the Tight Binding Method used in materials science?

The Tight Binding Method is widely used in materials science to study the electronic properties of various materials, including semiconductors, metals, and insulators. It can provide valuable insights into the band structure, energy levels, and electronic properties of these materials, which are important for understanding their behavior and potential applications.