Superficial Degree of Divergence in Renormalization of Phi^3 Theory

• A
  • Thread starter The black vegetable
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the superficial degree of divergence is a measure of the potential for a diagram to be divergent, based on the number of loops and internal lines in the diagram. In the case of the toy model ##\phi^3## theory, the superficial degree of divergence is determined by the number of external lines and vertices, with a special case for ##d=4## where the theory is superficially super-renormalizable. This means that only a finite number of diagrams with ##E \leq 3## will be divergent, making it easier to handle in perturbation theory.
The black vegetable
TL;DR Summary
When calculating the superficial degree of divergence do you only do it for diagrams with closed loops?
Hi

When calculating the superficial degree of divergence do you only do it for diagrams with closed loops?

Many thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Since tree-level diagrams are finite, it doesn't make sense to think about their superficial degree of divergence.

The superficial degree of divergence rests on Weinberg's theorem about the asymptotic behavior of loop diagrams, and the nice thing is that it's entirely expressed in terms of topologies of diagrams. Take ##\phi^3## theory (which is a toy model only, because it has no stable ground state, but it's used in the famous book by Collins, Renormalization, to explain perturbative renormalization techniques, because of its simplicity).

In ##d## dimensions the any integral counts as ##d##, i.e., you have a term ##d L##, where ##L## is the number of loops of a diagram. Each propagator has dimension ##-2##, so you have a term ##-2 I## for ##I## internal lines in a diagram. So the superficial degree of divergence is
$$D_s=d L-2I.$$

To finally count the degree of divergence in terms of the number external lines ##E## and the number of vertices ##V##. In ##\phi^3## theory at each vertex 3 lines meet, which means you have ##3V## lines all together. Now an internal line belongs to two verices and and external line only to 1. Thus ##3V=2I+E##. Finally we have from momentum conservation at each vertex ##I-V## independent loop momenta, but one conservation law is trivial due to overall momentum conservation of the external momenta, i.e., ##L=I-(V-1)##. Thus we finally have
$$D_s=d(I-V+1)-2I = d+(d-2)I -d V = d+(d-2) (3V-E)/2 - d V=d+\left (1-\frac{d}{2} \right) E + \frac{d-6}{2} V.$$
This shows that for ##d=4## you have
$$D_s|_{d=4}=4-E-V.$$
This means that for ##d=4## the theory is superficially super-renormalizable. This means that first of all only diagrams with ##E \leq 3## can be divergent to begin with, i.e., only for those diagrams ##D_s \geq 0##, but it's even only a finite number of diagrams for each ##E## that is divergent, because there's the term ##-V## in ##D_s##. It's renormalizable even for ##d=6##, leading to
$$D_s|_{d=6}=2(3-E).$$
Again a diagram is only divergent for ##E \leq 3##, and ##D_s## doesn't depend on ##V##, i.e., there's to be expected divergences at any order of perturbation theory.

Likes The black vegetable
That's great thanks for this :)

1. What is renormalization in phi^3 theory?

Renormalization in phi^3 theory is a mathematical technique used in quantum field theory to remove infinities that arise in calculations. It involves redefining certain parameters in the theory to account for the effects of high energy interactions.

2. Why is renormalization necessary in phi^3 theory?

Renormalization is necessary in phi^3 theory because the theory predicts infinite values for certain physical quantities. These infinities arise due to the nature of quantum mechanics and the fact that the theory involves interactions at all energy scales. Renormalization allows us to obtain finite and meaningful predictions from the theory.

3. How does renormalization work in phi^3 theory?

Renormalization in phi^3 theory involves a series of mathematical steps that involve redefining certain parameters in the theory. This is done in a way that cancels out the infinities that arise in calculations, resulting in finite and physically meaningful predictions. The redefined parameters are known as renormalized parameters.

4. What are the implications of renormalization in phi^3 theory?

The implications of renormalization in phi^3 theory are significant. It allows us to make meaningful predictions and calculations in a theory that would otherwise produce infinite values. It also helps us to better understand the fundamental nature of quantum field theories and the effects of high energy interactions.

5. Are there any challenges associated with renormalization in phi^3 theory?

Yes, there are some challenges associated with renormalization in phi^3 theory. One of the main challenges is that the process can be quite complex and involves a lot of mathematical calculations. Additionally, there are different methods of renormalization that can be used, and choosing the most appropriate one can be a challenge. However, with advancements in technology and techniques, these challenges can be overcome.