How do supernovae and hypernovae form and what is the corpse left behind?

• Thread starter Narkotix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Supernovae
In summary, the individual is a 16-year-old who is interested in astrophysics and has a general understanding of supernovae and pulsars. They are seeking a detailed explanation of these concepts in simpler terms and are also looking for resources to learn more about astrophysics. They are open to both a detailed explanation or a link to a website or online course for further learning.
Narkotix
Okay, I am somewhat young (16) and i currently can't study anything at this level.
But, I've always been intrigued about anything in outer space.
And a thought came into my head today. I have a general idea on how supernovae and hypernovae are formed, but if you could, give a detailed answer, but in something a newbie could understand. And secondly, when a supernovae happens, sometimes there is a "corpse" leftbehind. These, if i remember correctly are pulsars? One rotates very rapidly, and shoots beams of gamma out. The other is incredibly magnetic and could rip the iron out of your blood from 1000's of miles away. Could you give details on these aswell, like the name, how dense they are, ect ect.
It'd be helping me out quite a lot, although this isn't needed for me, i find it incredibly interesting.
Kind Regards.
Dan.

(Edit: Ermm, turns out as there's lots of factors in everything, could you either link a site that answers this or explain everything in lots of detail? I'd really appreciate it, thanks)

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/hframe.html" is a great online resource. I also recommend the two semester Astronomy course given by a professor from Ohio State, these are what helped me get along before entering school.

http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast161/Audio/"

http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Audio/"

Joe

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a supernova?

A supernova is a powerful and catastrophic explosion that occurs at the end of a massive star's life. It releases an immense amount of energy, often outshining an entire galaxy for a brief period of time.

2. How are supernovae and hypernovae different?

Supernovae and hypernovae are both types of stellar explosions, but hypernovae are much more powerful and energetic. They are caused by the collapse of extremely massive stars, while supernovae can occur in both massive and smaller stars.

3. What causes a supernova or hypernova?

Supernovae and hypernovae are caused by the collapse of a star's core. This can happen in a few different ways, such as when a star runs out of nuclear fuel to sustain its core or when it can no longer support its own weight due to gravity.

4. Can a supernova or hypernova affect Earth?

Yes, a supernova or hypernova could potentially affect Earth if it occurs close enough to our planet. The radiation and shock waves from the explosion could have serious consequences for our atmosphere and biosphere.

5. What can we learn from studying supernovae and hypernovae?

Studying supernovae and hypernovae can provide valuable insights into the life cycles of stars, the formation of elements, and the evolution of the universe. They can also help us understand the properties and effects of high-energy events in space.