Superposition at absolute zero

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of decoherence in quantum systems, particularly at absolute zero temperature. It is mentioned that even at absolute zero, a coherent superposition of states can get destroyed by zero point fluctuations. The conversation also touches on the relationship between temperature and the ability to put atoms in a superposition state, and concludes with a discussion on the role of temperature in the canonical ensemble.
DirkMan
I googled a bit about this and managed to find this

http://arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0505056
http://physics.bu.edu/~mohanty/physica-decoherence.pdf

Since I can't make much out of them, maybe except this interesting phrase in the first one

"First
of all it is intriguing that even at
absolute zero a coherent superposition of states can get destroyed by zero point fluctuations
."

But this, I don't understand what they mean by this:

"At absolute zero the quantum system
can only lose energy to the
cold environment"

And another question : From what I know, the more atoms you try to put in superposition, you need to get them closer to absolute zero, so can one deduce that theoretically at absolute zero you could have the whole universe in a superposition state ?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a closed system, if you start in a pure state, you'll always stay in a pure state. In the Schrödinger picture, if ##|\psi_0 \rangle## is the vector, representing a pure state, at later times the vector is (I use natural units with ##\hbar=k_{\text{B}}=c=1##)
$$|\psi(t) \rangle=\exp(-\mathrm{i} \hat{H} t) |\psi_0 \rangle.$$
This has nothing to do with temperature, which makes only sense if you have a system in (maybe local) thermal equilibrium. In the canonical ensemble this state is described by the statistical operator
$$\hat{\rho}_{\text{can}}=\frac{1}{Z} \exp \left (-\frac{\hat{H}}{T} \right ), \quad Z=\mathrm{Tr}\exp \left (-\frac{\hat{H}}{T} \right ) .$$

1. What is superposition at absolute zero?

Superposition at absolute zero refers to the quantum mechanical principle that states that at a temperature of absolute zero (0 Kelvin or -273.15 degrees Celsius), particles are in their lowest energy state and can exist in multiple quantum states simultaneously.

2. How does superposition at absolute zero affect particles?

At absolute zero, particles will not exhibit any thermal vibrations or movement, and their position and momentum will be completely uncertain. This means that they can exist in multiple positions and states at the same time, with equal probability.

3. Can superposition at absolute zero be observed in real-life?

No, it is not possible to achieve a temperature of absolute zero in real-life as it would require the complete absence of all energy and movement, which is not achievable. However, scientists can observe and study superposition at temperatures very close to absolute zero.

4. What is the significance of superposition at absolute zero?

Superposition at absolute zero is significant because it allows scientists to study the fundamental properties of matter and the behavior of particles in their lowest energy state. It also plays a crucial role in technologies such as quantum computing and superconductivity.

5. How does superposition at absolute zero differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, particles are believed to have well-defined positions and states, whereas in quantum mechanics, superposition at absolute zero allows particles to exist in multiple states at once. This concept challenges our understanding of the behavior of matter and requires a different mathematical framework to describe it.