Superposition state and wavefunction collapse

In summary: Read moreIn summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an infinite well as an example of a linear superposition of an infinite number of energy eigenstates. The question poses whether all energy eigenvalues are equally likely when the energy is measured without knowing the exact wavefunction. The answer is that the Born Rule dictates the probability of obtaining a given energy eigenvalue. It is also mentioned that when the energy is measured, the wavefunction collapses to the associated eigenfunction and remains in that state forever.
dyn
Hi. My question is a general one but I will use an infinite well as an example.

Without knowing details of the exact wavefunction I presume it can exist as a linear superposition of an infinite number of energy eigenstates ? Without knowing the exact wavefunction ; does that mean that when the energy is measured all energy eigenvalues are equally likely ? Even the infinite energy value ?

When the energy is measured the wavefunction collapses to the associated eigenfunction. But then what happens ? Does it stay in that state forever ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
dyn said:
Without knowing the exact wavefunction ; does that mean that when the energy is measured all energy eigenvalues are equally likely ?

No.

Likes bhobba
dyn said:

Without knowing details of the exact wavefunction I presume it can exist as a linear superposition of an infinite number of energy eigenstates ? Without knowing the exact wavefunction ; does that mean that when the energy is measured all energy eigenvalues are equally likely ? Even the infinite energy value ?

When the energy is measured the wavefunction collapses to the associated eigenfunction. But then what happens ? Does it stay in that state forever ?
Thanks
There are two mathematical problems with your question. If you have an infinite number of states, then they cannot all be equally likely - unless that likelihood is zero. This is because the total probability must add up to at most 1.

There is no "infinite" energy state. All energy states represent a finite energy level

Finally, unless you have some information about how a particular state was prepared, you can't make any assumptions about the probability of any energy level being measured.

Likes QuantumQuest
dyn said:
I thought one of the aims of this forum was to help and educate not to insult or patronize. If any of my questions are beneath any members then maybe they would be better off not replying.

I am sorry for any insult etc you may have felt - it was not intended - I assure you. Not only would doing such be against forum rules it simply is not a decent thing to do. So for that I apologize.

However you will find a lot of responses here do not directly answer questions. This is for a number of reasons:
1. The answer would be long and if standard textbook stuff you would be better simply reading the book.
2. What you nut out for yourself you remember and understand better.

Plus I also pointed you to the direct answer as to why its not equal probability - the Born Rule.

I am sorry its like this in QM but unfortunately questions like you asked require actually studying QM. I did give the answer - the Born Rule - but until you understand QM its not likely to make sense which is why I directed you to some texts on basic QM first. If you already have that knowledge then the Born Rule answers all your queries.

Now the next question is likely why the Born Rule - that is tied up with something called Gleason's Theorem which is an advanced topic, but I will give a link to anyway - see post 137:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-born-rule-in-many-worlds.763139/page-7

Thanks
Bill

dyn said:

No. The probability of obtaining a given energy eigenvalue is given by the Born rule.
https://mcgreevy.physics.ucsd.edu/w15/130C-2015-chapter01.pdf (p1-19, Axiom 4)

dyn said:

Yes. This is true in general for systems whose time evolution is governed by a time-independent Hamiltonian. https://mcgreevy.physics.ucsd.edu/w15/130C-2015-chapter01.pdf (p1-18, Axiom 3)

Likes dyn
[Moderator's note: off topic comment deleted.]

PeroK said:
There are two mathematical problems with your question. If you have an infinite number of states, then they cannot all be equally likely - unless that likelihood is zero. This is because the total probability must add up to at most 1.

There is no "infinite" energy state. All energy states represent a finite energy level

Finally, unless you have some information about how a particular state was prepared, you can't make any assumptions about the probability of any energy level being measured.

As far as I know the energy levels in an infinite well are given by En = n2π2ħ2/(2mL2) and as quoted in University Physics by Young & Freedman " there are an infinite number of levels ; even a particle of infinitely great kinetic energy is confined within the box"

bhobba said:
I am sorry for any insult etc you may have felt - it was not intended - I assure you. Not only would doing such be against forum rules it simply is not a decent thing to do. So for that I apologize.

However you will find a lot of responses here do not directly answer questions. This is for a number of reasons:
1. The answer would be long and if standard textbook stuff you would be better simply reading the book.
2. What you nut out for yourself you remember and understand better.

Plus I also pointed you to the direct answer as to why its not equal probability - the Born Rule.

I am sorry its like this in QM but unfortunately questions like you asked require actually studying QM. I did give the answer - the Born Rule - but until you understand QM its not likely to make sense which is why I directed you to some texts on basic QM first. If you already have that knowledge then the Born Rule answers all your queries.

Now the next question is likely why the Born Rule - that is tied up with something called Gleason's Theorem which is an advanced topic, but I will give a link to anyway - see post 137:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/the-born-rule-in-many-worlds.763139/page-7

Thanks
Bill

Thanks for your reply. I have studied the Born Rule and as far as I understand it - it gives the probability of obtaining the measured eigenvalue for each eigenfunction as | < φn | ψ > |2 but to perform this calculation requires knowing the original wavefunction. My original question was concerned with if the original wavefunction was not known

Last edited by a moderator:
dyn said:
As far as I know the energy levels in an infinite well are given by En = n2π2ħ2/(2mL2) and as quoted in University Physics by Young & Freedman " there are an infinite number of levels ; even a particle of infinitely great kinetic energy is confined within the box"

All those energy levels have finite energy. There is no such thing as a particle of infinitely great kinetic energy. You could say "no matter how much energy a particle has, it stays within the box".

Likes Vanadium 50, entropy1 and vanhees71
[Moderator's note: off topic comment deleted.]

PeroK said:
All those energy levels have finite energy. There is no such thing as a particle of infinitely great kinetic energy. You could say "no matter how much energy a particle has, it stays within the box".

If the energy varies as n2 and n can go to infinity , how is that not infinite energy ?

Last edited by a moderator:
dyn said:
If the energy varies as n2 and n can go to infinity , how is that not infinite energy ?

For what value of ##n## is the energy infinite?

Thread closed for moderation.

Edit: Some off topic posts and portions of posts have been deleted. Please keep the discussion focused on the physics. If you feel someone else's post violates the rules or is disrespectful, please report it; do not respond to it.

Thread reopened.

dyn said:
there are an infinite number of levels

This is true, but it is not the same as saying that the energy eigenvalue of any level is infinite. All of the energy eigenvalues are finite.

dyn said:
n can go to infinity

This is sloppy phrasing which is leading you astray. Better phrasing would be: n can be any arbitrarily large finite positive integer. See the difference?

Likes entropy1
dyn said:
even a particle of infinitely great kinetic energy is confined within the box

If this is a quote from the actual textbook, it makes me like that textbook less. This is sloppy phrasing as well, and it means the textbook itself has led you astray. Unfortunately that does happen.

Likes vanhees71 and PeroK
dyn said:
My original question was concerned with if the original wavefunction was not known

If it isn't known, then of course you can't compute probabilities. But you do know that any such wave function can be expressed as a properly normalized linear combination of energy eigenfunctions, which are known. And there are an infinite number of them, one for each finite positive integer. Can you construct such a properly normalized linear combination that has equal coefficients for each term? If you can't, then that shows that there is no possible wave function that has equal probabilities for every energy. And @PeroK has already given you a reason why you can't.

1. What is the superposition state in quantum mechanics?

The superposition state is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics where a quantum system can exist in multiple states simultaneously. This means that the system can be in a combination of all possible states at the same time until it is observed or measured.

2. How does superposition state relate to wavefunction collapse?

The superposition state is closely related to wavefunction collapse, which is the sudden transition of a quantum system from a state of superposition to a single definite state upon observation. The act of measurement causes the wavefunction to collapse into one of the possible states, and the other states become inaccessible.

3. Can we predict the outcome of wavefunction collapse?

According to the principles of quantum mechanics, the outcome of wavefunction collapse is fundamentally unpredictable. The probability of a particular state collapsing is determined by the wavefunction, which is a mathematical representation of all the possible states of a quantum system. Therefore, we can only predict the probabilities of different outcomes, not the exact outcome itself.

4. How does wavefunction collapse affect the behavior of particles?

The wavefunction collapse has a significant impact on the behavior of particles. Before measurement, particles can exist in multiple states and exhibit wave-like properties. However, upon measurement, the wavefunction collapses, and the particles behave like classical particles with definite positions and properties. This duality of behavior is one of the most intriguing aspects of quantum mechanics.

5. Can the superposition state and wavefunction collapse be observed in real life?

Yes, the superposition state and wavefunction collapse have been observed in numerous experiments in quantum physics. For example, the famous double-slit experiment demonstrates the wave-like behavior of particles in superposition and their collapse into a definite state upon measurement. These phenomena have also been observed in other experiments, such as the Stern-Gerlach experiment and the quantum eraser experiment.