Superpostioning of an inpendent voltage and current source with depend

In summary, the problem is that you're trying to use superpositioning and source transformation properties to reconfigure the rightmost branch to a voltage source, but you're stuck because you can't determine numerical values for the mesh currents for either source being active.
cybhunter

Homework Statement

3 branches, Indpendents are a 15 Volt source (left most branch) in series with a 2 ohm resistor (current that flows from left to right though this resistor is 'i delta'), Middle branch contains a 5 ohm resistor in series with a current controlled voltage source (3 ohms * i delta). The Right most branch has a 4 ohm resistor in series with a parallel configurtion of an 8 ampere source and a 8 ohm resistor (voltage across denoted as 'V0').

Find Vo, Find i delta

Homework Equations

using a superpostioning and source transformation properties I've been able to reconfigure the rightmost branch to a voltage source of 64 volts in series with a 12 ohm resistor

The Attempt at a Solution

Turning off the 64 volt source and leaving the 15 volt source on:

-15 volts+ 2ohms*(i delta) +5ohms* (i1-i2) +3ohm*(i delta)= 0 Volts (i1 and i2 are unknown currents the center branch, with the 3 ohm being the current controlled voltage source)

-3ohm*(i delta) -5ohms( i2-i1) -12ohms*(i2)=0 Volts

Turning off the 15 volt source and leaving the 64 volt source on:
-3ohm*(i delta) -5ohms(i2' -i1') -12 ohms*(i2')=0 Volts

-15 Volts +2ohms*(i delta)+ 5ohms(i1' -i2')+ 3ohm*(i delta)=0 Volts

I end up stuck at this point

Physics news on Phys.org

cybhunter said:

Homework Statement

3 branches, Indpendents are a 15 Volt source (left most branch) in series with a 2 ohm resistor (current that flows from left to right though this resistor is 'i delta'), Middle branch contains a 5 ohm resistor in series with a current controlled voltage source (3 ohms * i delta). The Right most branch has a 4 ohm resistor in series with a parallel configurtion of an 8 ampere source and a 8 ohm resistor (voltage across denoted as 'V0').

Find Vo, Find i delta

Homework Equations

using a superpostioning and source transformation properties I've been able to reconfigure the rightmost branch to a voltage source of 64 volts in series with a 12 ohm resistor

The Attempt at a Solution

Turning off the 64 volt source and leaving the 15 volt source on:

-15 volts+ 2ohms*(i delta) +5ohms* (i1-i2) +3ohm*(i delta)= 0 Volts (i1 and i2 are unknown currents the center branch, with the 3 ohm being the current controlled voltage source)

-3ohm*(i delta) -5ohms( i2-i1) -12ohms*(i2)=0 Volts

Turning off the 15 volt source and leaving the 64 volt source on:
-3ohm*(i delta) -5ohms(i2' -i1') -12 ohms*(i2')=0 Volts

-15 Volts +2ohms*(i delta)+ 5ohms(i1' -i2')+ 3ohm*(i delta)=0 Volts

I end up stuck at this point

It looks like you're doing mesh analysis with one source active at a time. That's fine.

Note that iΔ flowing through the 2Ω resistor is identical to the mesh current i1. So you can make that substitution for iΔ. You should be able to determine numerical values for the mesh currents (and thus determine iΔ and Vo) for either source being active.

If there was a thanks button, I just clicked it for you. Thanks for noting the correlation between the i delta and i1 currents

As a followup, I decided to upload the problem with my explanation to the problem. Hope it provides help to anybody needing some guidance (and thanks again gneill)

Attachments

• Problem_10.jpg
    Problem_10.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 433
, as I cannot solve for i delta without knowing the values of i1 and i2, and vice versa. I would need more information or equations to solve for these unknown currents. Additionally, I am unsure of how to incorporate the current controlled voltage source into the equations. More information or clarification is needed to fully solve this problem.

What is superpositioning of an independent voltage and current source with dependent?

Superpositioning is a method used in circuit analysis where the effects of multiple voltage and current sources are considered separately. This means that the contributions of each source are analyzed individually to determine the overall response of the circuit.

How is superpositioning applied in circuit analysis?

In circuit analysis, superpositioning is applied by considering the effects of one source at a time while keeping all other sources turned off. This allows for the determination of the individual contributions of each source to the overall circuit response.

What is the purpose of using superpositioning in circuit analysis?

The purpose of using superpositioning in circuit analysis is to simplify the analysis process and make it more manageable. By considering each source separately, the overall response of the circuit can be determined more easily.

Are there any limitations to using superpositioning in circuit analysis?

Yes, there are some limitations to using superpositioning in circuit analysis. This method can only be applied to linear circuits, and it assumes that the sources are independent of each other. Additionally, it cannot be used to analyze circuits with non-linear elements such as diodes or transistors.

Can superpositioning be used to analyze circuits with dependent sources?

Yes, superpositioning can be used to analyze circuits with dependent sources. However, it is important to note that the dependent sources must be considered separately and their effects cannot be superimposed on each other. This means that the analysis process may become more complex and time-consuming.