Supersymmetry and the EM Force

In summary, the SUSY versions of the EM force are equivalent to the Jackson/Sakura versions of the EM force.
HeavyWater
(This is easy for you folks that know SUSY.) I know in SUSY the agent of the EM force is the photino (a spin 1/2 fermion). The EM force that we all learned about in JD Jackson (and the QED version in Sakurai) has the photon (a boson) as the agent of force. Is the SUSY version of E&M, and the QED version of E&M equivalent to the Jackson/SakuraI of E&M? Do I just write down the same Maxwell equations for "non-SUSY" and SUSY applications?

Physics news on Phys.org
In supersymmetric QED, the photon is still the quantum of electromagnetism. The photino, being a fermion, is essentially just an extra kind of matter.

Thank you for your very quick response.

A follow up question on the photino. I assume the photino travels at the speed of light. If that is true, why haven't we ever detected a photino? Could it be that only pure SUSY particles (not hybrids consisting of at least one quark and at least one square) produce photinos?

HeavyWater said:
A follow up question on the photino. I assume the photino travels at the speed of light. If that is true, why haven't we ever detected a photino? Could it be that only pure SUSY particles (not hybrids consisting of at least one quark and at least one square) produce photinos?

The photino would have been seen long ago if it was massless. Instead bc super symmetry must be broken it acquires a mass in some model dependant way depending on how Susy is broken. Bc it shares the same quantum numbers with other neutral Susy partners, it will also typically mix between the different species much like neutrinos do in the standard model, so it doesn’t quite have an independant existence.

As Mitchell says, it behaves like normal matter, and indeed it behaves very much like a heavy version of the neutrino. Indeed we typically call a photino part of a general class of Susy particles called neutralinos.

Likes Spinnor
Mitchell and Haelfax, thank you for your responses. Your comments have raised physics questions in my mind and I need to think about this subject some more. I sure wish I had studied SU-3 and the strong interactions harder when I was in grad school.

1. What is supersymmetry?

Supersymmetry is a theoretical framework in particle physics that proposes a symmetry between particles with different spin values. This symmetry predicts the existence of a partner particle for every known particle, with the same mass but opposite spin.

2. How does supersymmetry relate to the electromagnetic force?

Supersymmetry predicts that the electromagnetic force and the weak nuclear force are actually different manifestations of the same underlying force, known as the electroweak force. This means that the particles and interactions involved in the two forces are related through supersymmetry.

3. Why is supersymmetry important in understanding the universe?

Supersymmetry is important because it could potentially provide a solution to many unanswered questions in particle physics, such as the hierarchy problem and the nature of dark matter. It also helps to unify the fundamental forces of nature, giving a more comprehensive understanding of the universe.

4. Is there any evidence for supersymmetry?

So far, there has been no direct evidence for supersymmetry. However, many experiments, such as the Large Hadron Collider, are actively searching for signs of supersymmetric particles. Additionally, some theoretical predictions, such as the unification of forces at high energies, have been supported by experimental data.

5. What are the potential implications of discovering supersymmetry?

If supersymmetry is confirmed, it could have far-reaching implications for our understanding of the universe. It could help to explain the nature of dark matter, provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental forces, and potentially even lead to the unification of all forces in a single theory. It could also have practical applications in technology and energy production.