Supervoid/Cold Spot evidence of Hawking radiation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of the inside of a black hole resembling our Universe and the implications of this theory. However, the conversation also highlights the lack of evidence for such a theory and the importance of sticking to mainstream science. It is suggested that investigating the peculiar properties of the supervoid/cold spot could potentially shed light on the true nature of our universe.
pittsburghjoe

Could this possibly be what the inside of a black hole looks like? aka our Universe resides in a black hole and this area is the event horizon slowly becoming more desolate as Hawking radiation occurs on the opposite side.

Space news on Phys.org
pittsburghjoe said:
Could this possibly be what the inside of a black hole looks like?

No, not at all. While we can't be certain what the inside of a black hole looks like, we can be fairly certain of what it doesn't look like. More importantly, this cold spot fits the predictions of the big bang theory pretty well and there is no need to invoke speculative hypotheses to explain it.

I'm saying the big bang was the birth of super duper massive black hole in which we live

reality is stranger than fiction!

pittsburghjoe said:
I'm saying the big bang was the birth of super duper massive black hole in which we live

That's not really a good way to understand our universe.

There might be a way of interpreting our universe in such a way that it is true (it would require, for one, that the interior of black holes to be nothing like that described by General Relativity), but it has precisely zero observational effects. It certainly has nothing to do with the void you posted in the OP. Furthermore, Hawking radiation is, for all known sources, far too low in temperature for us to possibly detect at the current time (there is the unlikely possibility of primordial black holes of the right mass producing measurable Hawking radiation, but this has yet to be observed).

Could this possibly be what the inside of a black hole looks like?
"we are all inside a black hole" is not an uncommon speculation ... what sort of thing to expect of being inside a black hole would be more like this:
http://www.jimhaldenwang.com/black_hole.htm
... much of that is at A level, however, most people can skip the maths at the start and read the conclusions without getting too confused.
I'm saying the big bang was the birth of super duper massive black hole in which we live...
You can say that - but does that make it true?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitchens's_razor

I am not clear on what @pittsburghjoe means by "inside a black hole" though - within the event horizon of a black hole or something?
Other threads suggest an understanding at pop-science level if that so I don't think we can take this sort of thing for granted.

... I dunno, I read some pretty strange fiction.
The thing about reality is that it can be demonstrated.
The tldr B-level answer is that the supervoid mystery goes nowhere as far as demonstrating that we are currently "inside a black hole".

I'm saying it's worth investigating.

Did I, at least, make you smile with super "duper" massive black hole?

pittsburghjoe said:
I'm saying it's worth investigating.
what is worth investigating and how did you evaluate this?
Please be specific. This "pronoun game" thing is a waste of time.

Did I, at least, make you smile ...?
Seriously? What would make me smile is if you showed some sign of taking advice on board.

Did you at least check out the links?
If you will not take advice, there is no point anybody trying to help you.

Last edited:
It's cute that haldenwang thinks he knows what the inside of a black hole is like.

The supervoid/cold spot is worth investigating because it is out-of-place and exhibits peculiar properties that could end up being the center to the universe.

I know what you are going to say, "there is no center to the universe" ..well, I don't believe that either.

I'm imagining you flipping a table over right now. :mad:

You can believe what you'd like, but on this forum we only discuss mainstream science, not personal opinions that go contrary to established theories.

Thread locked.

Simon Bridge said:
what sort of thing to expect of being inside a black hole would be more like this:

A caution: I'm not sure all of this article is correct, and some of it is certainly prone to misinterpretation. The key point for this discussion, which seems valid to me, is that there is tidal gravity inside a black hole which is not present in our standard models of cosmology; so testing for effects due to such tidal gravity on cosmological scales would be a way of experimentally distinguishing the "universe inside a black hole" model from our standard models of cosmology. (No such tidal effects have been detected in our actual universe on cosmological scales.)

1. What is the supervoid/cold spot evidence of Hawking radiation?

The supervoid/cold spot evidence of Hawking radiation refers to a large, unusually cold region in the cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation that was discovered in 2004. This cold spot is believed to be caused by the existence of a supervoid, an extremely empty and cold region of space, which is thought to be a result of Hawking radiation from a black hole.

2. How does Hawking radiation relate to the supervoid/cold spot?

Hawking radiation is a theoretical concept proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking in 1974. It suggests that black holes emit radiation due to quantum effects, and over time, this radiation can cause the black hole to evaporate. The supervoid/cold spot is believed to be evidence of this process, as the radiation escaping from the black hole would create a noticeable cold spot in the CMB radiation.

3. How was the supervoid/cold spot discovered?

The supervoid/cold spot was first discovered in 2004 by a team of scientists using data from the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP). They noticed a large, unusually cold region in the CMB radiation, which was unexpected given the uniformity of the CMB. Further analysis revealed that this cold spot was located in a region of space that also happened to be a supervoid.

4. Is the supervoid/cold spot evidence of Hawking radiation confirmed?

While the supervoid/cold spot is a compelling piece of evidence for Hawking radiation, it is not definitive proof. There are still other possible explanations for the cold spot, such as a statistical fluke or a primordial density fluctuation. However, many scientists believe that the supervoid/cold spot is the most likely explanation and further research is being done to confirm this.

5. What are the implications of the supervoid/cold spot evidence of Hawking radiation?

If the supervoid/cold spot is indeed evidence of Hawking radiation, it would confirm a major prediction of Hawking's theory and provide insight into the behavior of black holes. It would also have implications for our understanding of the early universe and the processes that shape its structure. Additionally, it could open up new avenues for studying Hawking radiation and its effects on the universe.