Supplied complex power from source vs consumed by load

In summary: If the load impedance is R+jX, what would its power factor?If the load impedance is R+jX, the power factor would beReactive power = j*PfActive power = 144*Pf
eehelp150

Homework Statement

upload_2016-10-27_0-28-37.png

upload_2016-10-27_0-28-49.png

Homework Equations

S= 3VaIa*

The Attempt at a Solution

After transformation:
upload_2016-10-27_0-30-5.png

Ia = 120<0 / (6+8j) = 12<-53.13 A
Total complex power = 3 * Va * Ia* = 3*120<0 * 12<53.13 = 2592W + j3456 VAR
This is the power supplied from source. What would be the power consumed by load?

Attachments

• upload_2016-10-27_0-28-36.png
    upload_2016-10-27_0-28-36.png
    10.1 KB · Views: 501
Physics news on Phys.org
eehelp150 said:
What would be the power consumed by load?
You know the load impedance and load current. How will you determine the active and reactive power associated with the load?

cnh1995 said:
You know the load impedance and load current. How will you determine the active and reactive power associated with the load?
Load impedance = 5 + j6
Load current = 12<-53.13A
I*I*Z
?

eehelp150 said:
Load impedance = 5 + j6
Load current = 12<-53.13A
I*I*Z
?
Yes. Take magnitudes only.
S=I2Z.

Last edited:
cnh1995 said:
Yes. Take magnitudes only.
S=I2Z.
So 144 * (5+j6)
?

power of (1+j2)= 144 * (1+2j)
and
(load) = 144*(5+j6)
combined become 864W + j1152VAR

but the total complex power is 2592W + j3456VAR

Is it right for these values to not match?

Last edited:
eehelp150 said:
So 144 * (5+j6)
Yes.
eehelp150 said:
Is it right for these values to not match?
Yes. Can you say why?

cnh1995 said:
Yes.

Yes. Can you say why?
Is it because it's 1/3 of the "actual" circuit?
Do I need to multiply by 3 to get the total complex power consumed by load?

If no, does this look correct?
720W + j864VAR

Load power factor:
S = sqrt(Q^2+P^2) = 1124VA
PF = P/S = 720/1124 = 0.64 lagging (Q>0)
correct?

eehelp150 said:
Is it because it's 1/3 of the "actual" circuit?
Do I need to multiply by 3 to get the total complex power consumed by load?

If no, does this look correct?
720W + j864VAR

Load power factor:
S = sqrt(Q^2+P^2) = 1124VA
PF = P/S = 720/1124 = 0.64 lagging (Q>0)
correct?
Well, you calculated the total power for three phases. So, you should multiply the load power by 3. But they are not equal because out of total input power, some power is associated with the line impedance 1+j2 ohm. Remaining power is fed to the load.

cnh1995 said:
Well, you calculated the total power for three phases. So, you should multiply the load power by 3. But they are not equal because out of total input power, some power is associated with the line impedance 1+j2 ohm. Remaining power is fed to the load.
If the prompt is:
Calculate the total complex power consumed by the load and determine the load's power factor

Do I use what I calculated (720W + j864VAR) or do I need to multiply that by 3?

eehelp150 said:
If the prompt is:
Calculate the total complex power consumed by the load and determine the load's power factor

Do I use what I calculated (720W + j864VAR) or do I need to multiply that by 3?
You should multiply by 3. You have transformed the circuit into its per phase equivalent. Total power will be thrice the per phase power.
eehelp150 said:
power of (1+j2)= 144 * (1+2j)
and
(load) = 144*(5+j6)
combined become 864W + j1152VAR
Here, while applying S=I2Z, you should consider the magnitude only. If you want to use the phasor form, you should take the conjugate of the current i.e. (IZ)(I*).

cnh1995 said:
If the prompt is:

Do I use what I calculated or do I need to multiply that by 3?
cnh1995 said:
You should multiply by 3. You have transformed the circuit into its per phase equivalent. Total power will be thrice the per phase power.

Here, while applying S=I2Z, you should consider the magnitude only. If you want to use the phasor form, you should take the conjugate of the current i.e. (IZ)(I*).
So magnitude of (5+j6) = sqrt(61)?

eehelp150 said:
cnh1995 said:
For load power factor, you can use the single phase equivalent network since it is a balanced network.
eehelp150 said:
So magnitude of (5+j6) = sqrt(61)?
Yes.

cnh1995 said:
For load power factor, you can use the single phase equivalent network since it is a balanced network.

Yes.
so load would be 3 * 144*sqrt(61)?
How do i get power factor from this?

Last edited:
eehelp150 said:
so load would be 3 * 144*sqrt(61)?
How do i get power factor from this?
If the load impedance is R+jX, what would its power factor?

What is supplied complex power from source vs consumed by load?

Supplied complex power from source refers to the total power that is generated and delivered to a load, while consumed by load refers to the total power that is actually used by the load. In other words, supplied power is the total amount of power available, and consumed power is the amount of power that is actually used.

What is the difference between supplied complex power from source vs consumed by load?

The main difference between supplied complex power from source and consumed by load is that supplied power is the total amount of power available, while consumed power is the amount of power that is actually used. This means that there may be a difference between the two values, depending on the efficiency of the system and any losses that may occur during transmission.

How is supplied complex power from source vs consumed by load measured?

Supplied complex power from source and consumed by load are typically measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW). In some cases, they may also be measured in volt-amperes (VA) or kilovolt-amperes (kVA). These measurements can be obtained using specialized power meters or calculated using various electrical formulas.

What factors can affect the supplied complex power from source vs consumed by load?

The supplied complex power from source and consumed by load can be affected by a variety of factors, including the efficiency of the power source, the quality of the electrical components, the type of load being supplied, and any losses that occur during transmission. Additionally, the distance between the source and load, as well as the type of wiring and connections used, can also impact these values.

Why is it important to understand the difference between supplied complex power from source vs consumed by load?

Understanding the difference between supplied complex power from source and consumed by load is important for several reasons. Firstly, it allows for more accurate measurement and monitoring of power usage, which can help identify areas for improvement and potential cost savings. Additionally, it can help ensure that the load is receiving enough power to function properly and avoid overloading the system. Finally, it can also help identify any issues or losses in the electrical system that may need to be addressed.