Surface Area of a Multivariable function

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in calculating the surface area for a given function and region. Various methods, such as using MAPLE 15 or parametrization, have been attempted but have not yielded a solution. It is suggested to use a numerical approach for finding the surface area.
mariya259
I don't know how to calculate the surface area after setting everything up. I have tried both MAPLE 15 program and wolfram alpha, but I can't find the answer.

I have the function:
f(x,y)= x*(y^2)*e^-((x^2+y^2)/4)

The form I found for surface are was the square root of (sum of squares of partials with respect to x and y).
The work I have so far
∫∫√(e^(-(x^2+y^2)/4))*(y^4-(3x^2*y^4)+(4y^2*x^2)+((x^4*y^4)/4)+((x^2*y^6)/4)+1 dx dy
I have to integrate from -3 to 3 for both x and y.
I have tried putting it into MAPLE 15, but it won't solve the function for a value.
What should I do? Is there any way to simplify this algebraically so that it is easier to solve? Is it even possible to solve it by hand?

Physics news on Phys.org
try spherical/cylindrical coordinates

What would the limits of integration be though? It is not shaped anything like a cylinder or sphere.

mariya259 said:
I don't know how to calculate the surface area after setting everything up. I have tried both MAPLE 15 program and wolfram alpha, but I can't find the answer.

I have the function:

The form I found for surface are was the square root of (sum of squares of partials with respect to x and y).
The work I have so far
∫∫√(e^(-(x^2+y^2)/4))*(y^4-(3x^2*y^4)+(4y^2*x^2)+((x^4*y^4)/4)+((x^2*y^6)/4)+1 dx dy
I have tried putting it into MAPLE 15, but it won't solve the function for a value.
What should I do? Is there any way to simplify this algebraically so that it is easier to solve? Is it even possible to solve it by hand?

I doubt that there is a closed-form formula for the area, so try a numerical approach. If you call dA your integrand, the following works for me in Maple 11:
Jx:=evalf(Int(dA,y=-3..3));
Area:=evalf(Int(Jx,x=-3..3));
Area := 44.43229369

RGV

[STRIKE]Isn't it an odd function in the appropriate sense? You do not have to do the integration, you can realize the value "by inspection".[/STRIKE]

Ray Vickson has pointed out below that I made a (large) oversight.

Last edited:
algebrat said:
Isn't it an odd function in the appropriate sense? You do not have to do the integration, you can realize the value "by inspection".

I think you have misunderstood the problem. For a graph of the form [itex] z = f(x,y)[/itex] the surface area S of the graph over a region [itex] A \subset R^2 [/itex] in (x,y)-space is
[tex] S = \int\int_{A} \sqrt{1 + f_x^2 + f_y^2} \: dx \, dy,[/tex]
where [itex] f_x = \partial f/\partial x,\; f_y = \partial f/\partial y.[/itex] For [tex]f = x y^2 \exp{\left(-\frac{x^2 + y^2}{4}\right)} [/tex] we have
[tex] f_x = \frac{1}{2}y^2 (x^2-2) \exp{\left(-\frac{x^2 + y^2}{4}\right)}\\
f_y = \frac{1}{2}x y (y^2-4) \exp{\left(-\frac{x^2 + y^2}{4}\right)}.[/tex]
Do you really think the double integral S can be evaluated by inspection?

RGV

Yes, that was my mistake, thank you Ray!

mariya259 said:

I have the function:

The work I have so far

Try parametrising it in some other way.

[STRIKE]So dimension10, are you thinking some thing like polar coords., r goes from 0 to 3 cos theta?[/STRIKE]

Oh yeah sorry, I'm not reading very carefully.

Last edited:
[Post cleared]

Last edited:
never mind, deleted

how would i parametrize this function?

mariya259 said:

I'm not sure but I would suggest a way through which you can use some algebraic/trigonometric identities OR reverse chain rule/reverse product rule.

mariya259 said:

No matter what you do the function will not have a closed-form double integral. The only reason to bother parametrizing is to make it easier to fit the shape of the region [itex] A \subset R^2[/itex] over which you want to take the surface area. So, if A is rectangular with sides parallel to the x and y axes, just use the original parametrization. If A is a circular disc, you could switch to polar coordinates. If A is an elliptical disc, re-scale x and y to make it a circle, then switch to polar coordinates. In every case you will be forced to get a numerical answer.

RGV

with your region, in wolfram alpha, I think you need to put the 1 outside the parenthesis in the square root

observe some of the symmetries, even along y, odd along x. so your surface area would basically be 4x (integral over region of [0,3]^2)

Related to Surface Area of a Multivariable function

1. What is the definition of surface area in a multivariable function?

The surface area of a multivariable function is the measure of the total area of the surface formed by the graph of the function in three-dimensional space.

2. How is the surface area of a multivariable function calculated?

The surface area of a multivariable function is calculated using a mathematical concept known as a double integral. This involves integrating the partial derivatives of the function with respect to the two variables that define the surface.

3. What is the significance of calculating the surface area of a multivariable function?

Calculating the surface area of a multivariable function is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It helps in understanding the physical properties of objects and surfaces, and can also be used to optimize and solve problems related to surface area in real-world applications.

4. Can the surface area of a multivariable function be negative?

No, the surface area of a multivariable function can never be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the measure of the total area of a surface, which cannot be negative.

5. Are there any specific techniques for calculating the surface area of a multivariable function?

Yes, there are specific techniques such as the use of parametric equations, cylindrical coordinates, and spherical coordinates that can make it easier to calculate the surface area of a multivariable function in certain cases. However, the general approach is to use double integrals.