Surface Area of Solid: f(x)=1/x, [1,∞) about x-axis

In summary, Vela said that you have to include the "dx" in the integral in order to get the correct answer.
MrShickadance

Homework Statement

f(x) = 1/x
Interval [1, ∞) about the x-axis

Set-up the integral for the surface area of the solid

Then use the substitution u = x2 and integrate using the formula:

∫ sqrt(u2 + a2) / u2 du = ln(u + sqrt(u2 + a2) - sqrt(u2 + a2) / u + C
a is a constant

Homework Equations

S = 2pi * ∫ (f(x) * sqrt(1 + [f`(x)]2) dx from a to b

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I found the derivative of (1/x) which is -1/x2

I then plugged f(x) and f`(x) into the surface area equation

I squared f`(x) to get (1/x4)

My equation is 2pi ∫ (1/x) * sqrt(1 + (1/x4) from 1 to infinity of course, which I will change to the limit as b approaches infinity because it is an improper integral.

I simplified the fractions under the radical to get sqrt((x4 + 1) / x4)

I took the square root of the denominator to get x2

Lastly, I multiplied (1/x) by sqrt(x4 + 1) / x2 to get
sqrt(x4 + 1) / x3

If u = x2 then this is not in the correct form to use the formula that was given to me.

How can I get the denominator to equal x4?

I will figure out the rest of the problem from there.

Here is my written attempt:

HReK8ktl.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's what you get for being sloppy and leaving the dx out of the original integral.

Likes 1 person
Vela's point is that you have simply put the "x" integrand into terms of "u" and appended "du". In fact, if you had included "dx" in the original integral you would have realized that, since [itex]u= x^2[/itex], [itex]du= 2x dx[/itex].

Thanks Halls. I think I have arrived at the correct answer now. Unfortunately, Wolfram doesn't seem to want to load the answer. It's stuck loading and I've tried refreshing the page. Was it really that difficult? haha

Related to Surface Area of Solid: f(x)=1/x, [1,∞) about x-axis

1. What is the formula for finding the surface area of a solid with a function of f(x)=1/x along the x-axis?

The formula for finding the surface area of a solid with a function of f(x)=1/x along the x-axis is S = 2π∫(1/x)√(1+(f'(x))^2)dx, where f'(x) represents the derivative of f(x).

2. How do you find the limits of integration when calculating the surface area of a solid with a function of f(x)=1/x along the x-axis?

The limits of integration for calculating the surface area of a solid with a function of f(x)=1/x along the x-axis are determined by the interval [1, ∞). This means that the starting point is x=1 and the endpoint is infinity.

3. Can you explain the concept of surface area and how it relates to a solid with a function of f(x)=1/x along the x-axis?

Surface area is the measurement of the total area that the surface of a three-dimensional object occupies. In the case of a solid with a function of f(x)=1/x along the x-axis, the surface area is calculated by finding the area of all the infinitesimal slices along the x-axis and adding them together.

4. Are there any special cases or considerations when calculating the surface area of a solid with a function of f(x)=1/x along the x-axis?

One special case to consider is if the function f(x)=1/x has a vertical asymptote within the given interval of integration. In this case, the surface area calculation would need to be broken into multiple integrals to account for the discontinuity at the vertical asymptote. Additionally, if the function is negative within the interval, the absolute value of the function must be used in the surface area formula.

5. Can you provide an example of calculating the surface area of a solid with a function of f(x)=1/x along the x-axis?

For example, if we want to find the surface area of the solid formed by rotating the function f(x)=1/x along the x-axis over the interval [1, 3], we would first calculate the derivative of f(x) to be f'(x)=-1/x^2. Plugging this into the surface area formula, we get S = 2π∫(1/x)√(1+(-1/x^2)^2)dx. Simplifying, this becomes S = 2π∫(1/x)√(1+1/x^4)dx. After integrating, we get a final answer of S = 2π(ln(3)-ln(1)) = 2πln(3) units squared.