Surface Integral involving Paraboloid

In summary, a surface integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area of a three-dimensional surface by integrating a function over the surface. A paraboloid is a specific type of surface created by rotating a parabola around its axis. To set up a surface integral involving a paraboloid, one must determine the limits of integration and define a function to be integrated. Calculating a surface integral involving a paraboloid can be useful in fields such as science and engineering, and it often requires numerical methods. However, in some special cases, it can be solved analytically.
LunaFly

Homework Statement

Evaluate the surface integral:

∫∫s y dS

S is the part of the paraboloid y= x2 + z2 that lies inside the cylinder x2 + z2 =4.

Homework Equations

∫∫sf(x,y,z)dS = ∫∫Df(r(u,v))*|ru x rv|dA

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn the region D in the xz-plane as a circle with radius 2. My limits of integration are r between 0 and 2, and t between 0 and 2∏.

I've parametrized the surface as:
r(r,t)= <rcos(t), r2, rsin(t)>

I've gotten the vectors:
rr=<cos(t), 2r, sin(t)>
rt=<-rsin(t), 0, rcos(t)>

Trying to find dS, I did:
rr X rt = <2r2cos(t), -r, 2r2sin(t)>,
and the magnitude of that is r√(4r2 +1).

Overall, I end up with dS = r2*√(4r2+1)drdt.

The integral becomes:

∫∫r4*√(4r2+1)drdt, with limits as mentioned above.

However this is not the correct answer. I am having a difficult time with these surface integrals and I am not really sure why. I keep getting confused about whether or not I am parametrizing
the surfaces correctly, so that may be where my error is. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks
-Luna

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
LunaFly said:

The integral becomes:

How did the r2 become r4? Not saying it's wrong, ... this is not an area I'm expert on.

LunaFly said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the surface integral:

∫∫s y dS

S is the part of the paraboloid y= x2 + z2 that lies inside the cylinder x2 + z2 =4.

Homework Equations

∫∫sf(x,y,z)dS = ∫∫Df(r(u,v))*|ru x rv|dA

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn the region D in the xz-plane as a circle with radius 2. My limits of integration are r between 0 and 2, and t between 0 and 2∏.

I've parametrized the surface as:
r(r,t)= <rcos(t), r2, rsin(t)>

I've gotten the vectors:
rr=<cos(t), 2r, sin(t)>
rt=<-rsin(t), 0, rcos(t)>

Trying to find dS, I did:
rr X rt = <2r2cos(t), -r, 2r2sin(t)>,
and the magnitude of that is r√(4r2 +1).

Yes, this is what I get.

The integral becomes:

What? [itex]\int\int y dS= \int \int (r^2)dS= \int \int (r^2)(r\sqrt{4r^2+ 1})drd\theta[/itex]
You should have [itex]r^3[/itex] outside the square root, not [itex]r^4[/itex].

However this is not the correct answer. I am having a difficult time with these surface integrals and I am not really sure why. I keep getting confused about whether or not I am parametrizing
the surfaces correctly, so that may be where my error is. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks
-Luna

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, this is what I get.

What? [itex]\int\int y dS= \int \int (r^2)dS= \int \int (r^2)(r\sqrt{4r^2+ 1})drd\theta[/itex]
You should have [itex]r^3[/itex] outside the square root, not [itex]r^4[/itex].

I believe it is r4 because:

My paramatrization has y=r2, so f(r(r,t))=r2

dS = |rr X rt|dA = r√(4r2 + 1) * rdrdt

dA = r drdt (because of the relationship between polar and Cartesian coordinates) which is where the r4 comes from.

Altogether, ∫∫sf(r(r,t))dS = ∫∫Dr2*r√(4r2 + 1) * rdrdt= ∫∫Dr4√(4r2+1) drdt

This may be helpful: According to the book, the integral equals (∏/60)(391√(17) +1).

Last edited:
So I tried solving the integral that HallsofIvy thought was correct, and it was! Thanks for the response.

But that brings a new question to light: why does dA become drdt rather than r*drdt?

I had the impression that every time we switched from Cartesian to polar, dA became r*drdt, but it seems that in this problem, that's not the case.

Why?

LunaFly said:
So I tried solving the integral that HallsofIvy thought was correct, and it was! Thanks for the response.

But that brings a new question to light: why does dA become drdt rather than r*drdt?

I had the impression that every time we switched from Cartesian to polar, dA became r*drdt, but it seems that in this problem, that's not the case.

Why?

The formula for surface area element for a surface parameterized as ##\vec R = \vec R(u,v)## is ##dS = |\vec R_u \times \vec R_v|dudv##. There is no extra ##u## or ##v##, and in your case, no extra ##r##.

Suppose your surface had been a circle in the xy plane. You might parameterize it as ##\vec R(r,\theta) = \langle r\cos\theta,r\sin\theta,0\rangle##. If you calculate ##dS = |\vec R_r\times \vec R_\theta|drd\theta## you will find that that cross product is where the familiar ##r## in ##rdrd\theta## comes from. You don't add an extra ##r## when you parameterize it from the beginning.

What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical concept that allows us to calculate the area of a three-dimensional surface. It involves integrating a function over the surface to determine its total area.

What is a paraboloid?

A paraboloid is a three-dimensional surface that is created by rotating a parabola around its axis. It has a curved, bowl-like shape and can be described by a mathematical equation.

How do you set up a surface integral involving a paraboloid?

To set up a surface integral involving a paraboloid, you first need to determine the limits of integration for the two variables, typically represented as u and v. These limits will depend on the shape and orientation of the paraboloid. You will also need to define a function to be integrated over the surface.

What is the purpose of calculating a surface integral involving a paraboloid?

Calculating a surface integral involving a paraboloid can be useful in various fields of science and engineering. It can help determine the total area of a curved surface, which can be important in calculating things like heat transfer, surface tension, and fluid flow.

Can a surface integral involving a paraboloid be solved analytically?

In most cases, a surface integral involving a paraboloid cannot be solved analytically and requires numerical methods. However, there are some special cases where it can be solved analytically, such as when the paraboloid is symmetric or when the function being integrated is simple.