SUVAT equation question: When will the car collide with the lorry?

lukegxhycj
Homework Statement
A lorry travelling along a narrow road with speed u1

applies its brakes to give a uniform deceleration of magnitude a1

. At the same time a car, a distance d behind the lorry and travelling in the same direction with speed u2

, applies its brakes to give a uniform deceleration of a2

Part A
Show that the car collides with the now stationary lorry if a2≤ku2^2

, and find k in terms of u1 , d and a1
Relevant Equations
All SUVAT equations
s1=-u1^2/2a1
s2=-u2^2/2a2

s2>s1+d
(If distance the car stops is bigger than the distance the lorry stops plus the initial distance then they will crash)

(sub s1 and s2 in)
-u2^2/2a2 > -u1^2/2a1+d
Switch 2a2 with whole left side of equation.
-u2^2/(-u1^2/2a1)+d > 2a2
Make the (d)a fraction by multiplying denominator and numerator by 2a1
-u2^2*(2a1/-u1^2+2a1d) > 2a2
Cancel the minus time minus on the left side.
u2^2*(a1/u1^2+2a1d)>a2
K=a1/u1^2+2a1d
And it was wrong apparently

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 52
  • D6059984-B7B8-45FF-81E1-A7F50C3A671A.png
    D6059984-B7B8-45FF-81E1-A7F50C3A671A.png
    14.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 2A87B56F-0DDD-4375-BE26-6DAFFF4A6FE6.png
    2A87B56F-0DDD-4375-BE26-6DAFFF4A6FE6.png
    22 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
lukegxhycj said:
Homework Statement: A lorry travelling along a narrow road with speed u1

applies its brakes to give a uniform deceleration of magnitude a1

. At the same time a car, a distance d behind the lorry and travelling in the same direction with speed u2

, applies its brakes to give a uniform deceleration of magnitude a2

.Part A
Requirement on deceleration
All questions in this part are answered incorrectly
Show that the car collides with the now stationary lorry if a2≤ku2^2

, and find k in terms of u1 , d and a1
Relevant Equations: SUVAT equations of motion:
v
=u
+2as
s=ut+

at

s=
u+v

t
v=u+at

(a_1)/(u_1**(2) - d*a_1*2)
Welcome to PF.

Something is really messed up in your equations. Did you paste them in from somewhere? What device and browser are you using to log into PF?

Likes MatinSAR
Hello @lukegxhycj ,
:welcome: ##\qquad## !​

Please read the PF guidelines

WIth a bit of ##\LaTeX## your post might look like

lukegxhycj said:
Homework Statement: A lorry travelling along a narrow road with speed ##u_1## applies its brakes to give a uniform deceleration of magnitude ##a_1##.
At the same time a car, a distance ##d## behind the lorry and travelling in the same direction with speed ##u_2##, applies its brakes to give a uniform deceleration of magnitude ##a_2##.

Part A
Requirement on deceleration
Show that the car collides with the now stationary lorry if ##a_2 ≤ k u_2^2##, and find ##k## in terms of ##u_1##, ##d## and ##a_1##

Relevant Equations: SUVAT equations of motion:

I agree the SUVAT equations are what you need to solve this exercise.
Sort them out with ##\LaTeX## and post your best effort at solution (required per the PF homewok rules)And:

I don't understand how
All questions in this part are answered incorrectly
can be part of the problem statement. Can you explain :wink: ?

##\ ##

Likes MatinSAR
BvU said:
Hello @lukegxhycj ,
:welcome: ##\qquad## !​

Please read the PF guidelines

WIth a bit of ##\LaTeX## your post might look like
I agree the SUVAT equations are what you need to solve this exercise.
Sort them out with ##\LaTeX## and post your best effort at solution (required per the PF homewok rules)And:

I don't understand how can be part of the problem statement. Can you explain :wink: ?

##\ ##
It is an error let me fix it also I am on my phone so I can’t use latex

lukegxhycj said:
also I am on my phone so I can’t use latex
Are you sure? I don't remember if I've tried it from my phone, but it seems like it should work. Have you looked at the LaTeX Guide link below the Edit window?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

Something is really messed up in your equations. Did you paste them in from somewhere? What device and browser are you using to log into PF?
Yeah sorry I meant to paste all SUVAT equations I’ve fixed it now it doesn’t have them because it messes it up

lukegxhycj said:
(a_1)/(u_1**(2) - d*a_1*2)
That's an expression, not an equation. Can you try to show more work on this? I'm not sure why you're having issues typing math into the forum. What kind of phone is it?

berkeman said:
That's an expression, not an equation. Can you try to show more work on this? I'm not sure why you're having issues typing math into the forum. What kind of phone is it?
Yh this is the answer I got but it’s wrong

berkeman said:
K=

lukegxhycj said:
Yh this is the answer I got but it’s wrong
Then you need to post your working so that we can see where you went wrong.

haruspex said:
Then you need to post your working
haruspex said:

so that we can see where yowent wrong.
Ok
haruspex said:
I have added the working please could you take a look at it thanks for your time

lukegxhycj said:
I have added the working please could you take a look at it thanks for your time
Your photos of your work are almost completely illegible, due to poor lighting and mostly faint writing. We generally discourage members from posting photos of their work for these reasons.

lukegxhycj said:
I have added the working
And just an FYI for the future, in discussion forums we usually discourage altering your Original Post (OP) with more information that is asked for in subsequent replies, because it is very confusing for folks who read the thread later. It makes our requests for more information look strange, since the extra information is in your OP by the time they read it. It works much better if you add the extra information in a new reply instead. Thanks. :smile:

I will send you a Private Message (PM) with tips for using LaTeX to post your work.

lukegxhycj said:
(If distance the car stops is bigger than the distance the lorry stops plus the initial distance then they will crash)
This condition is not relevant. The car can crash into the lorry before the lorry stops.

Yes sir the the question says the lorry stops before the car

lukegxhycj said:
Ok

I think you have been inconsistent in the signs on the accelerations. I see "a=-a1” but "a=a2".

haruspex said:
I think you have been inconsistent in the signs on the accelerations. I see "a=-a1” but "a=a2".
Sorry can you please get an answer so I can reverse engineer what I’ve done wrong

lukegxhycj said:
Sorry can you please get an answer so I can reverse engineer what I’ve done wrong
We don’t give answers; we help you sus out errors. You fix the errors and hopefully you learn.

lukegxhycj said:
At top right of your first attachment I see ##a=a_2##.
##a_2## is given as a rate of deceleration, so the acceleration is ##-a_2##. You did it correctly for ##a_1##.

1. How do you use the SUVAT equation to calculate the time of collision between a car and a lorry?

To use the SUVAT equation, you need to know the initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and displacement of the car and lorry. Plug these values into the equation t = (v - u) / a, where t is the time of collision, v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, and a is the acceleration. This will give you the time in seconds when the two vehicles will collide.

2. What is the significance of the SUVAT equation in determining the time of collision?

The SUVAT equation is a kinematic equation that relates the motion of an object to its initial and final conditions. It is useful in determining the time of collision between two objects because it takes into account the initial and final velocities, as well as the acceleration, which can all affect the time of collision.

3. Can the SUVAT equation be used for any type of collision between a car and a lorry?

Yes, the SUVAT equation can be used for any type of collision between two objects, as long as the initial and final conditions are known. It is a general equation that applies to all types of motion, including collisions.

4. What other factors should be considered when using the SUVAT equation to calculate the time of collision?

In addition to the initial and final velocities, acceleration, and displacement, other factors that should be considered include the mass and size of the vehicles, as well as any external forces that may affect their motion. These factors can impact the accuracy of the calculated time of collision.

5. Are there any limitations to using the SUVAT equation for calculating the time of collision?

While the SUVAT equation is a useful tool for determining the time of collision, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the acceleration is constant and that there are no external forces acting on the objects. In reality, these factors may vary and can affect the accuracy of the calculated time of collision.