Switches - preset/clear features

• Thread starter charlies1902
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Switches
In summary, the conversation discusses three questions regarding a switch and the behavior of the clear feature. The first question involves a change from X=0 to R=1, which means "do not clear." The second question involves a change from X=1 to R=1, which also means "do not clear." The third question involves a falling edge on X, which causes Q to toggle but the previous state is unknown, resulting in an uncertain answer. The conversation also mentions the importance of understanding the initial conditions and the impact of the clear feature on the output values.
charlies1902
I have attached the switch. I thought I understood the 3 problems, until I got to question 35.
My textbook says that the clear feature overwrites any input and sets the output to 0. So that seems to be the case with 33 and 34. But why not question 35?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 356
Physics news on Phys.org
R is 1 (do not clear) all the time in 35. Why do you expect any reset?

In question 35 the correct answer is that Q/Y will toggle. However that's not one of the multiple choice answers. The state of Q isn't specified before T falls so it's state afterwards is also unspecified. So "uncertain" is the answer.

I think my thinking is wrong on these 3 questions. I'll start with the first question on the attached pic.
Here is what I'm thinking:
For question 33:
X=0 R=0, then R changes to 1. Basically, Clear changes from 1 to 0.Which means do NOT clear. Thus Q=1 (the inverse of X)?
This is obviously not the answer. Which part of my logic is erroneous?

charlies1902 said:
I think my thinking is wrong on these 3 questions. I'll start with the first question on the attached pic.
Here is what I'm thinking:
For question 33:
X=0 R=0, then R changes to 1. Basically, Clear changes from 1 to 0.Which means do NOT clear. Thus Q=1 (the inverse of X)?
This is obviously not the answer. Which part of my logic is erroneous?

"Do not clear" does not mean "Set" it means "do nothing".

In Q33 there are two steps..

Step 1, the initial conditions..

X=0, R=0. R is connected to the clear input which is "active low". In other words R=0 means the clear input is active, so Q goes to 0 and Qbar = 1. Therefore Y = 0.

Step 2

X= 0, R -> 1. R is connected to the clear input which is active low. In other words R=1 means the clear input is inactive (or "do nothing"). So Q stays a 0 and Qbar stays a 1. Therefore Y stays a 0.

Oh I see. Thanks for explaining this.

So for #34:
X=1 R=1
R=1 => Clear=0 (do nothing)
We don't know the previous Q value, so how would we know what Y or Z is?
I guess we don't?

then R changes to 0
so Clear=1, so Q=0=Y, thus Z=1.For #35:
X=1 R=1 => Clear=0 (does nothing for the whole time even if the input X changes).
Since we don't know what Q was before, it's uncertain.Am I understanding this correctly?

charlies1902 said:
Oh I see. Thanks for explaining this.

So for #34:
X=1 R=1
R=1 => Clear=0 (do nothing)
We don't know the previous Q value, so how would we know what Y or Z is?
I guess we don't?

Correct, we don't.

then R changes to 0
so Clear=1, so Q=0=Y, thus Z=1.

Correct. The clear input makes Q=0 whatever it was before.

For #35:
X=1 R=1 => Clear=0 (does nothing for the whole time even if the input X changes).
Since we don't know what Q was before, it's uncertain.
Am I understanding this correctly?

Correct. The falling edge on X makes Q toggle, but since we don't know what it was before we don't know what it will be next. So answer is uncertain.

Aside: Had they not said "Each question is independant" the answer to 35 would be different. In that case question 34 clears the latch (Q=Y=0) then question 35 toggles the latch (Q=Y=1).

1. What is the difference between preset and clear switches?

Preset switches are used to set a specific value or condition in a circuit, while clear switches are used to reset or clear the circuit to its default state.

2. How do preset switches work?

Preset switches typically have a fixed value that is set by the manufacturer. When the switch is turned on, it connects that value to the circuit. This allows for precise control of the circuit's parameters.

3. Can preset switches be reprogrammed?

No, preset switches cannot be reprogrammed as they are set by the manufacturer. However, some preset switches may have adjustable settings or values that can be manually changed.

4. What is the purpose of clear switches?

Clear switches are used to reset a circuit back to its default state. This can be useful for troubleshooting or preparing the circuit for a new set of instructions.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using preset and clear switches?

It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines when using preset and clear switches. These switches can control high voltages and currents, so proper precautions should be taken to avoid electric shock or damage to the circuit.