AC circuit with a switch -- analysis

In summary, the problem involves finding the complex apparent power of \underline{I_{g2}} after the switch is closed in a sinusoidal current circuit. By using the current compensation theorem, the circuit can be simplified to only consider \underline{I_c} and other generators are removed. By using the superposition theorem, the circuit can be further analyzed by looking at \underline{I_c} and other generators are removed. The potential of nodes 1 and 2 can be found using the potential of nodes method. The complex apparent power of \underline{I_{g2}} can be found using the voltage across \underline{I_{g2}} when the switch is closed and the complex conjugate of \underline{I
gruba

Homework Statement

[itex][/itex]
Given the circuit of sinusoidal current (attachment1) with given data:
[itex]\underline{Z_3}=200(3-j4)\Omega,\underline{Z_4}=100(3+j20)\Omega,\underline{Z_5}=100(3+j4)\Omega,\underline{Z}=100(2+j5)\Omega,\underline{I_{g2}}=-10(2-j)mA.[/itex]
After the switch is closed, the increment of voltage 1-2 is given: [itex]\Delta \underline{U_{12}}=(4+j3)V[/itex].
Find the complex apparent power of [itex]\underline{I_{g2}}[/itex] after the switch is closed.

image1.png

2. The attempt at a solution

Attempt:
By using current compensation theorem (note: I don't have to use this theorem, anything can be used to solve the problem) on the branch with the switch and impedance [itex]\underline{Z}[/itex], we get the following circuit (attachment2 - switch and impedance [itex]\underline{Z}[/itex] are replaced by [itex]\underline{I_c}[/itex]):

image2.PNG

In the case when switch is open, compensation current [itex]\underline{I_c}[/itex] is equal to zero, and in the case when the switch is closed, it has some unknown value.

By using superposition theorem (note: I don't have to use this theorem, anything can be used to solve the problem), we can analyze the circuit from attachment2 by looking at [itex]\underline{I_c}[/itex] and other generators are removed. Now, we get the following circuit (attachment3):
image3.PNG

From this circuit, we know potentials of nodes 1 and 2 since [itex]\Delta \underline{U_{12}}=\underline{V_1}-\underline{V_2}[/itex], so we can use potential of nodes method to find the complex value of [itex]\underline{I_{c}}[/itex] and the voltage [itex]\underline{U_{23}}[/itex]. By setting the potential [itex]\underline{V_2}[/itex] to zero, and after solving the system of two linear complex equations with [itex]\underline{V_3}[/itex] and [itex]\underline{I_{c}}[/itex] as unknowns, we get:

[tex]\underline{V_2}=0,\underline{V_1}=(4+j3)V,\underline{V_3}=(12.48+j53.4)V,\underline{I_c}=(-6.44-j41.57)mA,\underline{U_{23}}=(-12.48-j53.4)V[/tex]

Complex apparent power of [itex]\underline{I_{g2}}[/itex] (attachment1) after the switch is closed can be found by the following equation:

[tex]\underline{S_{I_{g2}}}^{(c)}=\underline{U_{35}}^{(c)}\cdot \underline{I_{g2}}^{*}[/tex]

where [itex]\underline{U_{35}}^{(c)}[/itex] is the voltage across [itex]\underline{I_{g2}}[/itex] when the switch is closed, and [itex]\underline{I_{g2}}^{*}[/itex] is the complex conjugate of [itex]\underline{I_{g2}}[/itex].

We can find the voltage [itex]\underline{U_{35}}^{(c)}[/itex] from the following equation:
[tex]\underline{U_{35}}^{(c)}=\underline{U_{35}}^{(o)}+\Delta \underline{U_{35}}[/tex]

where [itex]\underline{U_{35}}^{(o)}[/itex] is the voltage across [itex]\underline{I_{g2}}[/itex] when the switch is opened, and [itex]\Delta \underline{U_{35}}[/itex] is the voltage across [itex]\underline{I_{c}}[/itex] from the attachment3 and is equal to [itex]\Delta \underline{U_{35}}=(-12.48-j53.4)V[/itex] (look at attachment3).

In order to find the voltage [itex]\underline{U_{35}}^{(o)}[/itex], we look at the circuit from attachment1, where only the generator [itex]\underline{I_c}[/itex] is removed.

Question: Since the following parameters are not given: [itex]\underline{I_{g1}},\underline{Z_1},\underline{E_2},\underline{E_6},\underline{Z_2}[/itex], how to find the voltage [itex]\underline{U_{35}}^{(o)}[/itex]?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I looked at this, but seemed to find too many unknowns.

I said that with fixed current through Z1 it follows that ∆V12 will be equal to ∆V13, so I concentrated on finding ∆V13. Also, the DC sources are zero impedance at AC, so Z2 is shorted out in any AC analysis and the switch effectively places Z in parallel with Z3.

No node is shown as ground, so perhaps consider node 3 as ground, and the problem then comes down to finding V5 with the switch closed.

I couldn't manage to solve it, though on glancing back over my working I do see an error...

@NascentOxygen ,

Here is the solution from by book:

The complex apparent power of [itex]\underline{I_{g2}}[/itex] after the switch is closed is [itex]\underline{{S_{I_{g2}}}^{(c)}}=(240+j20)mVA[/itex].
I don't know if this solution is correct.

1. What is an AC circuit with a switch?

An AC circuit with a switch is a type of electrical circuit that contains an alternating current (AC) source and a switch. The switch allows the circuit to be turned on or off, controlling the flow of electricity.

2. How does an AC circuit with a switch work?

When the switch is closed, the circuit is completed and electricity can flow from the AC source through the circuit. When the switch is open, the circuit is broken and electricity cannot flow. This allows for control of the electrical current in the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of analyzing an AC circuit with a switch?

Analyzing an AC circuit with a switch allows us to understand the behavior of the circuit and how it responds to changes in voltage, current, and resistance. This analysis can help in troubleshooting and designing efficient circuits.

4. What parameters are important to consider when analyzing an AC circuit with a switch?

The key parameters to consider when analyzing an AC circuit with a switch are voltage, current, and resistance. These values can be measured and calculated to determine the behavior of the circuit and how it will respond to different conditions.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when working with an AC circuit with a switch?

Yes, when working with an AC circuit with a switch, it is important to ensure that the circuit is properly grounded and that all connections are secure. It is also important to use appropriate safety equipment and follow proper procedures to prevent electric shock or other hazards.