Symbol in Alan Turing's On Computable Numbers

In summary, Alan Turing uses shorthand notation to refer to sections 9 and 10 of his book On Computable Numbers when discussing arguments related to computable numbers."
Bluskyz
In Alan Turing's On Computable Numbers, he explains in his second paragraph the general notion of computable numbers. In doing so, he writes "In [symbol][symbol] 9, 10 I give some arguments...". I will include a screenshot of these symbols in this post. Do any of you know what these symbols mean? I guessing they are just some way of citing his paper "9, 10" which I also have no idea of. He uses this notation throughout the paper so if you happen to know the papers he is referring to, please enlighten me. Thank you.

Attachments

• symbol.PNG
    symbol.PNG
    1.6 KB · Views: 569
Computer science news on Phys.org
He's just saying (in shorthand notation) "In sections 9 and 10 I give some arguments..." Presumably these are sections of the same book, unless he refers explicitly to a different book.

1. What is the symbol used in Alan Turing's On Computable Numbers?

The symbol used in Alan Turing's On Computable Numbers is the Turing machine.

2. What is the significance of the symbol in the context of the paper?

The Turing machine symbol is significant because it represents the theoretical model of a computing machine that can perform any computational task. It is used to demonstrate the limits of what is computable and laid the foundation for modern computing.

3. How does the symbol relate to the concept of computability?

The symbol is directly related to the concept of computability as it represents a theoretical machine that can perform any computation. Turing used this symbol to demonstrate that there are limits to what can be computed, and not all problems have a solution.

4. Was the symbol used in Alan Turing's On Computable Numbers original?

Yes, the symbol used in this paper was original and was proposed by Alan Turing himself. He used it as a conceptual tool to demonstrate the limits of computation and its relation to mathematical logic.

5. Is the symbol still relevant in modern computing?

Yes, the symbol is still relevant in modern computing as it serves as the foundation for the concept of a universal computing machine. It is also used in the development of algorithms and programming languages, demonstrating its ongoing significance in the field of computer science.