Symbolic Logic Homework Questions

In summary, the conversation is about the use of symbolic logic symbols and rules to solve problems. The rules that have been learned so far are mentioned, along with the difficulty the person is having with applying them to specific problems. The conversation also mentions the use of conditional exchange and its potential misuse. Overall, the person is seeking help and clarification on how to correctly use these symbols and rules in their homework.
TheAlli
Hi! I was kind of struggling with a couple of the problems on my symbolic logic homework, and any help/hints/etc. would be very much appreciated!

The same symbolizations are used as in Klenk's "Understanding Symbolic Logic" book:

• = dot, meaning "and", as in p • q
v = wedge, meaning "either/or", as in p v q
≡ = triple bar, meaning "if and only if", as in p ≡ q
~ = tilde, meaning "not", as in ~p
⊃ = horseshoe, meaning "if ___, then ___", as in p ⊃ q
The inference rules (rules that must apply to an entire line in any proof created) we've learned so far are Modus Ponens, Modus Tollens, Hypothetical Syllogism, Simplification, Conjunction, Dilemma, Disjunctive Syllogism, and Addition. The replacement rules (rules that may apply to only part of a line in any proof created) we've learned are Double Negation, Duplication, Commutation, Association, Contrapostion, DeMorgan's, Biconditional Exchange, Conditional Exchange, Distribution, and Exportation. A summary of the rules is given here: http://www.yuksel.org/e/philosophy/logic/19rules.htm

The first problem I was having issues with presents this premise and conclusion (the Pr. indicating that I justify making that line by it being a premise of the given problem, with the conclusion following the slash):

1. (A ⊃ C) Pr. / ((A • B) ⊃ C)

Since I was told that working backward is a good tactic, I started with the conclusion and noted that, by the exportation rule, it is equivalent to ((A ⊃ (B ⊃ C)). Because B must be added on by the rule of addition, I must be able to prove that either A or C, or maybe ~A/~C is true. I tried using contraposition to get ((A ⊃ (~C ⊃ ~B)), then changing to ((A • ~C) ⊃ ~B), but I'm not sure how to use Modus Tollens and get (A • ~C) by itself since that would require getting ~~B, which can't happen as far as I know without getting one of the other variables anyway. So I'm stuck in a bit of a vicious cycle.

Another problem that's giving me issues is:

1. (A ⊃ ~A) Pr. / ~A

I thought using conditional exchange would be good here, since you could start from the premise and get (~A v ~~A) or get the same by working backward from the conclusion using Conditional Exchange, and this would be equivalent to (~A v A) due to Double Negation. From there I tried DeMorgan's and got ~(A • ~A), but it's sort of "trapped" within the tilde even though I know replacement rules can still apply to any individual part (for example, I could still change it to ~(~~A • ~A) by Double Negation). Basically, I need to get A/~A by itself and somehow that should work out a proof that contradicts itself.

One other thing, if I may; I completed this problem but am not sure if I'm misusing Conditional Exchange, and if I knew it could maybe help on the previous problem:

1. A Pr. / ~(A ⊃ ~B)
2. B Pr.
3. ~~A DN 1
4. ~~B DN 2
5. ~~A • ~~B Conj. 1, 2
6. ~(~A v ~B) DeM 5
7. B v ~A Add. 2
8. ~B DS 3, 7
7. ~(A ⊃ ~B) CE 6

Since Conditional Exchange allows going from (~p v q) to (p ⊃ q), I know usually ~(~A v ~B) would not translate into the conditional because the substitution doesn't fit the form without assuming that ~B stands for q while A substitutes for p. Is this fine as long as ~B has been proven?

Again, thanks so much in advance and sorry for making my first post a homework-related one. Symbolic logic is definitely not my strong suit!

EDIT: Sorry about the spacing issue on the proofs, for some reason I can't put more than one space between the line and the justification.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
TheAlli said:
1. (A ⊃ C) Pr. / ((A • B) ⊃ C)

It's a two-liner proof in my head. You need a "distributive" law of • over ⊃. That's about it.

It's just a lot of hard work getting the rules right in your head, like your first arithmetic courses. I am not going to comment on it too much, you need to rely on the didactical skills of your professors and your own skills here. Not a lot to do except for work your way through all of the exercises.

(The "distributive" law you need should be obvious to you, probably is a side lemma, and probably can be proven by rewriting ⊃ to another form.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Please post this in the proper homework section.

1. What is symbolic logic?

Symbolic logic is a system of reasoning that uses symbols to represent logical relationships and arguments. It is used to analyze and evaluate the validity of arguments and to determine the truth or falsity of statements.

2. Why is symbolic logic important?

Symbolic logic is important because it helps us to think critically and make rational decisions. It is also used in computer science, mathematics, and philosophy to develop and test theories and to solve complex problems.

3. How do I solve a symbolic logic homework question?

To solve a symbolic logic homework question, you need to first understand the symbols and logical operators used in the question. Then, use the rules of logic to manipulate the symbols and reach a conclusion. It is important to carefully follow the rules and be precise in your reasoning.

4. What are the common logical operators used in symbolic logic?

The common logical operators used in symbolic logic are conjunction (and), disjunction (or), negation (not), implication (if-then), and biconditional (if and only if). These operators are used to connect statements and form more complex arguments.

5. Can I use a truth table to solve symbolic logic homework questions?

Yes, truth tables can be a helpful tool in solving symbolic logic homework questions. They provide a systematic way of evaluating the truth or falsity of statements and can help you to determine the validity of arguments.