Synchronous Machine Transent parameters from sudden 3phase Short Circuit

In summary: Usually there are manufacturer data. But in some standards are approximate formulae, for instance:From IEC 61363-1 ch.6.2.6 Time constants“If the a.c. and d.c. time constants are unavailable, they can be calculated from the machineopen-circuit time constants and impedance as follows:Subtransient time constant (usually of the order of 1 ms to 30 ms):T"d = (X"d / X'd) T"do (32)Transient time constant (usually of the order of 20 ms to 1200 ms):T'd = (X'd / Xd) T'do (33
tim9000
Hi, So we're doing this Lab on Transient reactance of a synch generator and I'm reading Sarma's classic: Electric Machines Steady-state theory and Dynamic performance p. 474-479

But I can't see how to get the actual exponential time constants for the sub-transient and transient reactances?
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does the constant 0.368 have any significance? It's almost like he's saying to progress 36.8% from the initial transient peak, then that time is the time constant for the transient?
Also how do you plot the envolope around a waveform?

Lastly, how to you work out the asymmetrical DC component? Fourier or something?

http://www.nerc.com/comm/PC/System%20Analysis%20and%20Modeling%20Subcommittee%20SAMS%20DL/Stability%20and%20Modeling%20Workshops/03_Gen_Testing_Related_Topics.pdf

That link shows an overview. There is an IEEE standard for how to perform those tests. I looked for a link to the standard, but failed to find it.

Search for power plant model validation.

There are some standards in order to calculate the short-circuit currents.
The most importants ,I think, are IEEE 551/2006 –this is the last edition I know- and IEC 60909.
In IEEE 551/2006 Calculating Short-Circuit Currents in Industrial and Commercial Power Stations the synchronous machine reactance is treated in CH.5 and the short circuit current
at the terminals of this machine [formula 5.1]:
Isc=(E/X”dv-E/X’dv)e^(-t/T”do)+ (E/X’dv-E/Xdv)e^(-t/T’do)+E/xd
Where :
X’’dv=Direct-axis saturated subtransient reactance
X’dv= Direct-axis saturated transient reactance
Xd =synchronous reactance
T’’do=subtransient time constant
T’do= transient time constant
In IEC 60909-2 ch. 2.3 there are Data on typical synchronous machines [Table 2]

Babadag said:
There are some standards in order to calculate the short-circuit currents.
The most importants ,I think, are IEEE 551/2006 –this is the last edition I know- and IEC 60909.
In IEEE 551/2006 Calculating Short-Circuit Currents in Industrial and Commercial Power Stations the synchronous machine reactance is treated in CH.5 and the short circuit current
at the terminals of this machine [formula 5.1]:
Isc=(E/X”dv-E/X’dv)e^(-t/T”do)+ (E/X’dv-E/Xdv)e^(-t/T’do)+E/xd
Where :
X’’dv=Direct-axis saturated subtransient reactance
X’dv= Direct-axis saturated transient reactance
Xd =synchronous reactance
T’’do=subtransient time constant
T’do= transient time constant
In IEC 60909-2 ch. 2.3 there are Data on typical synchronous machines [Table 2]
Hi, thanks.
Right, but how do I work out the Direct-axis saturated subtransient reactance, Direct-axis saturated transient reactance, synchronous reactance or the sub or transient, timeconstants?

Thanks

Usually there are manufacturer data. Never-the-less in some standards are approximate formulae as for instance:
From IEC 61363-1 ch.6.2.6 Time constants
“If the a.c. and d.c. time constants are unavailable, they can be calculated from the machine
open-circuit time constants and impedance as follows:
Subtransient time constant (usually of the order of 1 ms to 30 ms):
  1. T"d = (X"d / X'd) T"do (32)
  2. Transient time constant (usually of the order of 20 ms to 1200 ms):
    T'd = (X'd / Xd) T'do (33)
    c) d.c. time constant (usually of the order of 15 ms to 300 ms):
    Tdc = X"d /(2.pi.fr.Ra)

Babadag said:
Usually there are manufacturer data. Never-the-less in some standards are approximate formulae as for instance:
From IEC 61363-1 ch.6.2.6 Time constants
“If the a.c. and d.c. time constants are unavailable, they can be calculated from the machine
open-circuit time constants and impedance as follows:
Subtransient time constant (usually of the order of 1 ms to 30 ms):
  1. T"d = (X"d / X'd) T"do (32)
  2. Transient time constant (usually of the order of 20 ms to 1200 ms):
    T'd = (X'd / Xd) T'do (33)
    c) d.c. time constant (usually of the order of 15 ms to 300 ms):
    Tdc = X"d /(2.pi.fr.Ra)
Hmm, because I took the current waveform for the field and phases on the CRO using a solid state switch on the zero crossing. So I have the transient oscillations of the current, but no manufacturer data.

What is a synchronous machine?

A synchronous machine is an electrical machine that operates using a rotating magnetic field and has a constant speed of rotation. It is commonly used in power systems to generate and distribute electrical energy.

What are transient parameters?

Transient parameters refer to the electrical characteristics of a synchronous machine during a sudden change in its operating conditions, such as a 3-phase short circuit. These parameters include the machine's reactance, resistance, and time constants.

Why is it important to study synchronous machine transient parameters?

Studying synchronous machine transient parameters is crucial in understanding the behavior and performance of the machine in different operating conditions. It helps in designing and maintaining reliable and efficient power systems.

How are synchronous machine transient parameters determined from a sudden 3-phase short circuit?

Synchronous machine transient parameters can be determined through various methods, such as simulation studies, laboratory tests, and analytical calculations. In the case of a sudden 3-phase short circuit, simulation studies and laboratory tests are commonly used to obtain accurate and reliable results.

What factors can affect synchronous machine transient parameters in a sudden 3-phase short circuit?

The main factors that can affect synchronous machine transient parameters in a sudden 3-phase short circuit are the fault location, fault duration, and fault severity. Other factors such as the machine's design, insulation, and operating conditions can also have an impact.