Synchronus Machine Characteristics (AFNL & AFSC)

• Thread starter cpscdave
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Machine
In summary, there is confusion regarding the table in the textbook that shows the open circuit and short circuit characteristics of a synchronous machine. It is stated that for a generator, the short circuit field current is larger than the no load field current, resulting in a short circuit ratio less than 1. However, for a motor, the short circuit field current is smaller, resulting in a SCR greater than 1. It is confirmed that this is not correct and both motors and generators have a short circuit current larger than the no load current. Additionally, there are examples in the textbook where the SCR is calculated to be greater than 1, causing further confusion. It is noted that synchronous generators and motors are essentially the same, with only the direction of
cpscdave
Hi everyone,
I'm a little confused what is going on in our textbook. There are a number of questions that state the table below has the Open Circuit (No Load) and Short Circuit Characteristics of some synchronous machine.
But then the columns don't seem to match that wording (I'd think that open circuit would be first)

I'm wondering if someone can confirm this thought process is right.

If you are looking at a GENERATOR the short circuit filed current (AFSC) will be larger than the no load field current (AFNL) resulting in a short circuit ratio (SCR) less than 1

If you are looking at a MOTOR the AFSC will be SMALLER than the AFNL resulting in a SCR greater than 1?

Does this seem correct?? Or am I way off base here??
Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
No, it isn't correct. Short circuit currents are larger than no load currents for motors too

So then you can never have an SCR > 1?

This textbook is borked it has a couple examples where they calculate the SCR to be > 1

Sync generator and sync motor are in principle same things. Only the direction of the flow of energy is reversed. Therefore, I don't know what they are talking about (or I misinterpreted )

for bringing up this confusion with the textbook, it's important to clarify any discrepancies in order to fully understand the material. From my understanding, the table is showing the characteristics of a synchronous machine under two different conditions: open circuit (no load) and short circuit. However, the columns may be labeled in a way that is not intuitive.

To answer your question, you are correct in your thought process. In a generator, the short circuit field current (AFSC) will be larger than the no load field current (AFNL), resulting in a short circuit ratio (SCR) less than 1. This is because when the machine is short circuited, there is a higher amount of current flowing through the field winding, compared to when there is no load.

On the other hand, in a motor, the AFSC will be smaller than the AFNL, resulting in a SCR greater than 1. This is because in a motor, the machine is consuming power, so the field current is not as high as in a generator.

I hope this clarifies any confusion and helps you better understand the characteristics of synchronous machines. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

1. What is a synchronous machine?

A synchronous machine is an electrical machine that operates at a constant speed that is synchronized with the frequency of the power system. It converts electrical energy to mechanical energy and vice versa.

2. What are the main characteristics of a synchronous machine?

The main characteristics of a synchronous machine are its steady-state characteristics, which include the open-circuit characteristic, short-circuit characteristic, and saturation curve. It also has dynamic characteristics, such as the transient response and the synchronization process.

3. What is the meaning of AFNL in synchronous machine characteristics?

AFNL stands for the Air Gap Flux Linkage, which is a measure of the magnetic flux in the air gap between the stator and rotor of a synchronous machine. It is an important parameter in determining the performance of the machine.

4. What is the significance of AFSC in synchronous machine characteristics?

AFSC refers to the Air Gap Flux per Pole per Phase, which is a measure of the magnetic flux density in the air gap of a synchronous machine. It is used to calculate the torque and power output of the machine, making it a crucial factor in its design and operation.

5. How do AFNL and AFSC affect the performance of a synchronous machine?

The values of AFNL and AFSC determine the magnetic field strength and flux density in the machine, which directly affect its torque and power output. An increase in these values can lead to an increase in the machine's efficiency and power factor, while a decrease can lead to lower performance and potential overheating.