Synchronous Machine Voltage Curves & Torque Relation to Armature Current

In summary, the person is trying to figure out how to solve a problem that they are having. They have basic knowledge of electricity and machines, but they are not able to solve the problem. They are looking for help from other members of the forum.
Alesa
Hello everyone

Im new on the forum and I just discovered what are sync machines...

I have really basic question what I still cannot figure out.. I did some experiments with motor for different field currents and torques. In the result I measured armature currents and did V curves. But next question asks to do find theoretical solution for same problem. As I guess, torque related to the power through sync speed and power related to I armature as I=P/(Va*cos(theta)). However it doesn't work for me and I am pretty lost.

Maybe someone can give me at least direction where and what I should read about.. I have air gap voltages, open and short circuit charachteristics and different input torques and calculated different sync inductance values for open loop voltages. Machine is 400v 0.8kW cos=0.75 50Hz 4 poles 1500rpm.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Get a good book on electrical machine theory. I recommend the ones authored by Krause (Purdue U).

Likes Alesa
Alesa said:
However it doesn't work for me and I am pretty lost.
The way to think about synchronous motors is an electromagnet in motion being dragged along by the magnetic field of stator ..
A generator is identical except torque is reversed, rotor is held back by stator.

From that mental picture it's a small step to phasor representation of what's going on. Brush up your grade school geometry and dust off your old drafting compass...

We've had a lot of threads on synchronous machines
see if this one is any help.
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/voltage-and-reactive-power-relationship.876346/#post-5503690

The one thing that I would add to Jim's answer is that the magnetic pole on the rotor is always locked to the corresponding pole on the stator; it is not allowed to slip. If the torque is so great that it does slip, the machine falls out of synchronism.

Likes jim hardy

1. What is a synchronous machine voltage curve?

A synchronous machine voltage curve is a graphical representation of the relationship between the machine's voltage and its armature current. It shows how the voltage of the machine changes as the armature current is varied.

2. How is the synchronous machine voltage curve obtained?

The synchronous machine voltage curve is obtained by plotting the voltage and armature current values at different operating points of the machine. To obtain accurate results, these values are measured under load conditions.

3. What is the significance of the synchronous machine voltage curve?

The synchronous machine voltage curve is significant because it helps in determining the operating characteristics of the machine. It can also be used to calculate the machine's power factor and efficiency.

4. How does the torque relate to the armature current in a synchronous machine?

The torque of a synchronous machine is directly proportional to the armature current. This means that as the armature current increases, the torque also increases, and vice versa.

5. How can the synchronous machine voltage curve be used to control the machine's output?

The synchronous machine voltage curve can be used to control the machine's output by adjusting the field current. By changing the field current, the machine's voltage and armature current can be altered, thereby controlling the machine's output power.