Synthesis of DF (Deuterium FLuoride)

• Thread starter jman1990
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Synthesis
In summary, the conversation is about finding a good synthesis for DF (deuterated crystal) for neutron diffraction studies. The individual mentions using D2O for the synthesis but is having difficulty finding DF in D2O. They also mention working with HF regularly and being aware of its hazards. One suggestion is to use BaF2+D2O+CrO3 to create DF, while another option is to use D2SO4 to react with CaF2 to form DF + CaSO4. They plan on trying both methods to see which gives better results.
jman1990
Hello All,

I am wondering if anyone knows a good synthesis for DF. I am trying to create a deuterated crystal for neutron diffraction studies (it is a hydrated crystal). The synthesis involves water and HF. I can buy D2O for the synthesis, but DF in D2O is a problem.

If anyone can enlighten me on good precursors for DF I would appreciate it.
FYI I work with HF regularly and am aware of it's hazards and safe handling practices.

P.S. I know the standard synthesis for HF involves reaction of fluorite with sulfuric acid, however I obviously don't have D2SO4 either.

Thanks,

Chemistry news on Phys.org
How about BaF2+D2O+CrO3 -> BaCrO4 +2HF?

This could work, thanks.

I found that D2SO4 isn't much more expensive than D2O so I probably will end up buying some and using that to react CaF2 to form DF + CaSO4. I am going to try this method as well and see which gives me better results.

What is Deuterium Fluoride (DF) and why is it important in synthesis?

Deuterium Fluoride (DF) is a chemical compound consisting of deuterium (a heavy isotope of hydrogen) and fluorine. It is important in synthesis because it is a versatile reagent that can be used in a wide range of reactions, such as hydrogenation, fluorination, and deuterium labeling.

How is DF synthesized in the laboratory?

DF can be synthesized in the laboratory through the reaction of deuterium gas with fluorine gas at high temperatures. This reaction can be carried out in a sealed vessel or in a flow reactor, and the resulting DF gas can then be condensed and purified for use in various reactions.

What are the potential hazards associated with working with DF?

DF is a highly toxic and corrosive gas, and should only be handled by trained professionals in a well-ventilated laboratory with proper safety equipment. It can also react violently with certain materials, such as water or metals, so caution should be taken when handling it.

What are the main applications of DF in synthesis?

DF has many applications in synthesis, including the production of pharmaceuticals, agrochemicals, and specialty chemicals. It is also used in the synthesis of fluorinated compounds, which have a wide range of industrial and medical applications.

Are there any alternative methods for synthesizing DF?

Yes, there are alternative methods for synthesizing DF, such as the reaction of deuterium gas with hydrogen fluoride, or the electrolysis of heavy water (D2O) in the presence of a fluoride source. However, these methods may be more expensive or less efficient compared to the direct reaction of deuterium with fluorine gas.