T/F Question of linear independence

In summary, the conversation discussed the statement that if a linear transformation T maps a linearly independent set to another set, then the resulting set is also linearly independent. It was noted that this statement is true only if T is injective, otherwise the resulting set may or may not be linearly independent. The conversation also highlighted the importance of considering the properties of T restricted to the span of the original set in determining the validity of the statement.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

T/F: Let ##T: V \rightarrow W##. If ##\{v_1,v_2,...,v_k \}## is a linearly independent set, then ##\{T(v_1), T(v_2),..., T(v_k) \}## is linearly independent.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This seems to be true, because we know that ##a_1v_1 + a_2v_2 + \cdots + a_k v_k = 0## has only the trivial solution, since they are linearly independent. Then if we apply ##T## to both sides, we get that ##a_1T(v_1) + a_2T(v_2) + \cdots + a_kT(v_k) = 0##, which should mean that this only has the trivial solution as well, right? Meaning that they are linearly independent?

Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
What if ##T=0##?
So does a problem arise only when ##\{v_1,v_2,...,v_k \} \in \text{Ker}(T)##?

Mr Davis 97 said:
So does a problem arise only when ##\{v_1,v_2,...,v_k \} \in \text{Ker}(T)##?
No. Think about this in terms of simple examples, such as T(x, y) = <x, 0>; i.e. T is the projection onto the x-axis. The vectors <1, 0> and <0, 1> form a basis for R2. Do the vectors T(<1, 0>) and T(<0, 1>) also form a basis for the same space?

Mr Davis 97 said:
Then if we apply ##T## to both sides, we get that ##a_1T(v_1) + a_2T(v_2) + \cdots + a_kT(v_k) = 0##, which should mean that this only has the trivial solution as well, right?
The point is: ##a_1=\ldots =a_k=0## is always a solution, but to be linearly independent, it has to be - as you correctly pointed out - the only possible solution. So every summand ##a_i T(v_i) = 0## allows two possibilities to become zero. And even worse, what if they are all unequal to zero, but add up to zero? Do you have an idea which property of ##T## would be needed, to conclude, that all ##a_i=0##?

Your mistake was to start with ##a_1v_1+\ldots+a_kv_k=0##. But you want to find out, what ##x_1T(v_1)+\ldots+x_kT(v_k)=0## means for the ##x_i##, so better proceed the other way around.

fresh_42 said:
The point is: ##a_1=\ldots =a_k=0## is always a solution, but to be linearly independent, it has to be - as you correctly pointed out - the only possible solution. So every summand ##a_i T(v_i) = 0## allows two possibilities to become zero. And even worse, what if they are all unequal to zero, but add up to zero? Do you have an idea which property of ##T## would be needed, to conclude, that all ##a_i=0##?

Your mistake was to start with ##a_1v_1+\ldots+a_kv_k=0##. But you want to find out, what ##x_1T(v_1)+\ldots+x_kT(v_k)=0## means for the ##x_i##, so better proceed the other way around.
So, taking your advice, we start with ##a_1T(v_1)+\ldots+a_kT(v_k)=0##, which means that ##T(a_1v_1 + \cdots + a_nv_n) = 0##. We can only then conclude ##a_1v_1 + \cdots + a_nv_n = 0## from this if ##T## is injective, right?

So is it true that you need ##T## to be injective to preserve linear independence?

Mr Davis 97 said:
So, taking your advice, we start with ##a_1T(v_1)+\ldots+a_kT(v_k)=0##, which means that ##T(a_1v_1 + \cdots + a_nv_n) = 0##. We can only then conclude ##a_1v_1 + \cdots + a_nv_n = ## from this if ##T## is injective, right?

So is it true that you need ##T## to be injective to preserve linear independence?
That's right. Beside the missing ##0##. And if you have ##a_1v_1 + \cdots + a_nv_n = 0##, then you can apply the given fact, that the ##v_i## are linearly independent.

Edit: One more important remark. If ##T## is not injective, the ##\{T(v_1),\ldots,T(v_k)\}## could still be linear independent, e.g. if ##k=1## and ##T(v_1) \neq 0##. But in general, we just don't know, if ##T## isn't injective. The statement, however, could still be true - or wrong. It all depends on what ##\left. T\right|_{span\{v_i\}}## does.

Last edited:

What is the definition of linear independence?

Linear independence refers to a set of vectors in a vector space that cannot be expressed as a linear combination of other vectors in that space.

How do you determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent?

To determine if a set of vectors is linearly independent, you can use the linear independence test. This involves setting up a system of equations with the vectors as coefficients and solving for the variables. If the only solution is the trivial solution (where all variables equal 0), then the vectors are linearly independent.

What is the difference between linear independence and linear dependence?

Linear independence refers to a set of vectors that cannot be expressed as a linear combination of other vectors, while linear dependence refers to a set of vectors that can be expressed as a linear combination of other vectors.

Why is linear independence important in mathematics?

Linear independence is important in mathematics because it allows us to determine if a set of vectors is a basis for a vector space. It also helps us understand the relationships between vectors and allows us to solve systems of equations efficiently.

How does linear independence relate to linear transformations?

Linear independence is important in linear transformations because it helps us determine if a transformation is one-to-one and/or onto. If the vectors in the domain of the transformation are linearly independent, then the transformation will be one-to-one. If the vectors in the range of the transformation are linearly independent, then the transformation will be onto.