T Rex cousin of modern chicken

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, scientists have used tiny bits of protein extracted from a 68-million-year-old dinosaur bone to provide the first genetic evidence that Tyrannosaurus rex is related to modern chickens. This discovery has led to further research and discussions about the potential of soft tissue findings in paleontology. The research has also been featured on NPR's "Science Friday" and has sparked interest and curiosity among the scientific community.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
CHICAGO, Illinois (Reuters) -- Tiny bits of protein extracted from a 68-million-year-old dinosaur bone have given scientists the first genetic proof that the mighty Tyrannosaurus rex is a distant cousin to the modern chicken. [continued]
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/04/12/dinosaur.reut/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
I think this is a huge discovery! I was hoping others would post comments because I don't know enough about paleontology myself. I recall reading about the finding of T.Rex soft tissue a couple of years back and wondering what discoveries it would lead to. More on the way I hope.

Thanks for posting the link!

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a T Rex cousin of modern chicken?

A T Rex cousin of modern chicken refers to a dinosaur species called Tyrannosaurus Rex, which is believed to be closely related to modern-day chickens.

When did T Rex live?

T Rex lived during the Late Cretaceous period, approximately 68-66 million years ago.

What did T Rex eat?

T Rex was a carnivorous dinosaur and ate other animals, such as small and large herbivores like Triceratops and Edmontosaurus.

How big was T Rex?

T Rex was one of the largest land predators to ever exist, with an estimated length of 40 feet and a height of 12-13 feet at the hips.

Why are T Rex and modern chickens related?

T Rex and modern chickens are both classified as theropod dinosaurs, which share common characteristics such as bipedalism and similar bone structures. Additionally, recent research has shown a genetic link between T Rex and chickens, indicating a common ancestry.

Back