T type thermocouple for Delta T measurement

In summary, The conversation discusses the challenges of measuring small delta T values in a heat exchanger experiment using thermocouples and an Agilent data logger. The speaker suggests using a differential thermocouple arrangement and converting the voltage measurements to delta T using different methods such as an eight order polynomial, seeback coefficient, or standard tables. They also inquire about the calibration process for thermocouples in a lab environment and provide a resource for further information.
mkamalakkannan
I am working on an experiment where I need to measure the Delta T across a heat ex-changer. I have two independent T Type thermo couple, one at the inlet and the other at the outlet. Both tied to an Agilent data logger. I normally put the data into an excel sheet and generate Delta T = T1 - T2.

The problem is, I am dealing with delta T values as low as 0.2 C. Since a general T Type thermo couple has an uncertainty of 0.5, my results may not be accepted

I decided to make a differential thermo couple, [like "M" shape] one junction at T1 and other at T2. The wire coming out now is the two copper wires, I believe that I can no longer use the two Cu wires in the data logger and select T type thermocouple. Thus I have selected the channel as a voltage measure.

My question is will this arrangement improve the accuracy? How can I determine that there is an improvement or what is the reason for the improvement if it does improve.

Second question is how to convert the voltage measured to Delta T? Should I use the eight order polynomial or should I use the seeback coefficient(41 microV/C) or should I use the standard tables? What is the difference in each of these method?

Last question, how are these thermocouples calibrated in the lab environment? what is the general and easy procedure to calibrate thermocouple?

Engineering news on Phys.org
This "www.omega.com/temperature/Z/pdf/z021-032.pdf" should answer most of your questions. This pdf file is compliments of http://www.omega.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a T type thermocouple?

A T type thermocouple is a type of temperature sensor that is used for measuring the temperature difference (delta T) between two points. It is made up of two dissimilar metal wires, typically copper and constantan, that are joined together to form a thermocouple junction. The temperature difference between the two junctions generates a small voltage, which can then be converted into a temperature reading.

2. How does a T type thermocouple work?

A T type thermocouple works on the principle of the Seebeck effect, which states that when two dissimilar metals are joined together, a small voltage is generated at the junctions when there is a temperature difference between them. This voltage is directly proportional to the temperature difference and can be measured and converted into a temperature reading.

3. What is the temperature range for a T type thermocouple?

The temperature range for a T type thermocouple is typically between -200°C to 350°C (-328°F to 662°F). However, with special calibration and materials, it can be used in temperatures up to 400°C (752°F).

4. How accurate is a T type thermocouple for Delta T measurement?

T type thermocouples have a high accuracy of up to ±0.5°C or ±0.4% of the temperature reading, whichever is greater. However, the accuracy can be affected by factors such as the quality of the materials used, the calibration process, and the temperature range being measured.

5. What are the applications of T type thermocouples for Delta T measurement?

T type thermocouples are commonly used in a variety of industries for measuring temperature differences, such as in HVAC systems, industrial processes, and scientific research. They are also used in medical equipment, food processing, and in automotive and aerospace applications where high accuracy and reliability are important.