Tabulation of physical and chemical data

In summary, the conversation revolved around a search for a large tabulation of physical and chemical data for various fluids, specifically alcohols and acids. The mentioned sources included NIST-REFPROP and a Google search for thermodynamic data. The conversation also touched upon the limitations of the available data and a program that was purchased for this purpose. The conclusion was a request for additional sources of thermodynamic information.
maistral
Hi!

I would like to crowdsource where can I find a large tabulation of physical and chemical data (ie. density, enthalpy and entropy; for both single-phase and saturated phases) for different fluids; preferrably for alcohols and acids.

What I'm trying to look for is something similar to Perry's physical and chemical data tabulations.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I would go poking around NIST.

Frabjous said:
I would go poking around NIST.
Thanks for replying.

Actually I managed to have access to NIST-REFPROP. Is there any other possible sources of data?

Bystander said:
Um... I did this already :oldfrown:

In my end, I found (and purchased) this program from doing what you mentioned:
1690438418793.png

My fundamental issue is that it seems to lack information regarding most alcohols (other than methanol and ethanol), and most acids as well (not even acetic acid). That's why I was asking if someone knows other possible sources of thermodynamic information other than this and the Perry Handbook.

Likes berkeman

1. What is the purpose of tabulating physical and chemical data?

The purpose of tabulating physical and chemical data is to organize and present information about the physical and chemical properties of substances in a structured and easily accessible format. This allows scientists to quickly and accurately compare and analyze data for various substances.

2. What types of data are typically included in a tabulation?

A tabulation of physical and chemical data usually includes information such as melting and boiling points, density, solubility, molecular weight, and chemical reactivity. It may also include information about the appearance, odor, and other characteristics of a substance.

3. How is the data collected and verified for accuracy?

The data included in a tabulation is collected through experiments and observations conducted by scientists. This data is then verified for accuracy through repeated experiments and comparisons with existing data from reputable sources.

4. How is the tabulated data used in scientific research?

The tabulated data is used in various ways in scientific research. It can be used to identify and classify substances, predict their behavior in different conditions, and aid in the development of new materials and technologies. It also serves as a reference for scientists in their experiments and analyses.

5. Are there any limitations to using tabulated data?

While tabulated data is a valuable tool in scientific research, there are some limitations to its use. The data may not be applicable to all conditions and may not accurately represent the behavior of a substance in certain environments. It is also important for scientists to critically evaluate the sources and methods used to collect the data to ensure its reliability.