Taking Calculus 1 over the summer -- question?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of passing a class with a low grade through curving and the concerns about being prepared for the next course in the sequence. It also mentions the challenges of completing a condensed summer course and the importance of truly understanding the material.
Apple_Mango
I was talking to my friend and she told me how she was taking Calculus 1 over the summer in 5 weeks. Everyone else averaging a 30 percent as their overall grade. The teacher was planning to raise the grade. So if you get a 30%, you'll get a C.

However, my question is that is it okay to pass people with a low grade of 30%? I'm not used to the idea of curving grades so somebody explain it to me. Will having a 30% in Cal 1 make the person able to do Cal 2?

Physics news on Phys.org
This really depends on the professor. The short answer is, yes, there are some professors who make things difficult enough so that a substantial curve is required for most students. I've seen a QM course where a 37.5% was a C.

It's hard to say if the students are prepared for the next course. If the tests were intended to be standard difficulty, then it seems the students might struggle in calculus 2, but if the tests were intended to be overly difficult, that might not be the case. Again, there are a lot of factors to consider when seeing how someone will perform in a course. Ultimately, test scores can be fairly non-standardized between professors.

Of course, in my opinion, if even the best students are only getting, say, in the 60s, then I'd have to ask whether it's because of the length or difficulty of the test, and I'd also have to ask what exactly the professor is trying to test.

In short: who knows? If the professor decided that the people who get 30s on their exams should pass the course, then the presumption is that he believes they're more-or-less ready for the next course in the sequence. One of my favorite sayings in times like those is "if everyone fails, no one fails."

Apple_Mango said:
I was talking to my friend and she told me how she was taking Calculus 1 over the summer in 5 weeks. Everyone else averaging a 30 percent as their overall grade. The teacher was planning to raise the grade. So if you get a 30%, you'll get a C.

However, my question is that is it okay to pass people with a low grade of 30%? I'm not used to the idea of curving grades so somebody explain it to me. Will having a 30% in Cal 1 make the person able to do Cal 2?
I think the y should do over the course because if they don't understand what they are doing it's going to haunt them in the future so I think they should redue it.

Likes symbolipoint
Apple_Mango said:

This is not okay. One needs to LEARN Calculus 1 to enable next to learn Calculus 2.

It is very hard to really learn Calc 1 material in 5 weeks. Like drinking water from a firehose.

Likes symbolipoint
Dr. Courtney said:
It is very hard to really learn Calc 1 material in 5 weeks. Like drinking water from a firehose.
My community college offers courses in cal 1-4 in the summer. I am surprised how people were able to do it.

Apple_Mango said:
My community college offers courses in cal 1-4 in the summer. I am surprised how people were able to do it.
You only choose that way if you are really good at Math and know that you are. Think how much study time can you give to Calculus every day? Do YOU have the energy? Do YOU have the memory? Can YOU do enough work during the 5 or 6 weeks of the summer session? When the autumn session or term comes, then, are YOU ready for Calculus 2? Even if you did earn a grade of C or B or A in the Calc 1 summer session, the grade has no meaning if you do not bring with you all the necessary skills and concepts from Calculus 1 into your studying of Calculus 2.

Likes DS2C

What is Calculus 1?

Calculus 1 is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change. It is a fundamental course in higher mathematics and is usually taken in the first year of college.

Why would someone want to take Calculus 1 over the summer?

Taking Calculus 1 over the summer allows students to complete the course in a shorter amount of time, freeing up space in their schedule for other courses or activities during the regular school year.

Is taking Calculus 1 over the summer more challenging?

It depends on the individual's study habits and dedication. Since the course is condensed into a shorter period, it may require more time and effort to keep up with the material. However, the concepts and material covered are the same as a regular semester course.

Can I transfer credits from a summer Calculus 1 course to my university?

It depends on the policies of your university and the institution offering the summer course. It is important to check with your university's registrar or academic advisor to ensure that the credits will transfer.

What are the benefits of taking Calculus 1 over the summer?

Besides being able to complete the course in a shorter timeframe, taking Calculus 1 over the summer also allows students to focus solely on one subject and potentially improve their understanding of the material. It can also open up opportunities for advanced courses in the following semesters.