Is it possible to self study calculus 2?

In summary, the speaker is a high school student who is planning to take Calculus 1 in school and self-study Calculus 2 over the summer at a community college. They are also planning to take a linear algebra course in their senior year. They have good grades in previous math classes and a high SAT math score. The speaker is using Stewart's Calculus 5th edition and is seeking tips for self-studying.
Arandomhighschooler
I am a high school student entering 11th grade soon. I will be taking calculus ab (calc 1) in school, but I am wondering if it is possible to self study calculus 2 and take it over the summer at a cc?(and do well!) If everything goes right I want to do calculus 2 the summer after junior year and a linear algebra course (with a prereq of calc 2) first semester senior year. Is this realistic? I have had A's in all prior math classes (precalc and earlier) and a 770 SAT math.

The textbook I have to study is Stewarts calculus 5th edition, and calculus lifesaver. (are these good?)

Any tips on self studying would be appreciated! (I am also currently self studying calculus 1, but so far I'm not having problems)

(P.s If this question wasn't appropriate here due to lack of actual math I'm sorry! first time poster)
Thanks everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
Arandomhigh schooler said:
I am a high school student entering 11th grade soon. I will be taking calculus ab (calc 1) in school, but I am wondering if it is possible to self study calculus 2 and take it over the summer at a cc?(and do well!) If everything goes right I want to do calculus 2 the summer after junior year and a linear algebra course (with a prereq of calc 2) first semester senior year. Is this realistic? I have had A's in all prior math classes (precalc and earlier) and a 770 SAT math.

The textbook I have to study is Stewarts calculus 5th edition, and calculus lifesaver. (are these good?)

Any tips on self studying would be appreciated! (I am also currently self studying calculus 1, but so far I'm not having problems)

(P.s If this question wasn't appropriate here due to lack of actual math I'm sorry! first time poster)
Thanks everyone!
Your question is fine. We have some Insight articles on the subject which might give you a closer look than a brief answer I can give here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/self-study-analysis-part-intro-analysis/
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/self-study-algebra-part-ii-abstract-algebra/
https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/problems-self-studying/

I hope those will answer your question more detailed. But don't be afraid and ask if you have more questions about it. To ask questions and curiosity are the main keys to open up scientific worlds. Beside that you're always welcome here to post specific questions about exercises (our homework section; please use the template there) or on general conceptions (our technical forums).

Arandomhigh schooler said:

Thanks everyone!
I would recommend going through chapters 1 and 2 of Stewart's so you're well prepared for calculus 1. For calculus 2 go through chapters 5-9 and 12. Stewart's will be fine, I do not know the other book. You're getting much better grades and taking more advanced classes than I did in high school so I don't have any tips, but I'll tell you to keep something in mind when you self study. Keep in mind that nobody is going to test you to make sure you've learned anything so make sure you do plenty end-of-chapter problems or read through chapter examples then close the book and redo the problem. Good luck!

Thanks everyone!

1. Is it necessary to have a strong background in calculus 1 before attempting to self study calculus 2?

While having a strong understanding of calculus 1 can be helpful, it is not absolutely necessary to successfully self study calculus 2. It is important to have a solid foundation of algebra and trigonometry, as well as a willingness to put in the time and effort to learn the concepts.

2. Can self studying calculus 2 be as effective as taking a traditional course?

Yes, self studying calculus 2 can be just as effective as taking a traditional course. As long as you have access to quality resources and are motivated to learn, you can achieve the same level of understanding as someone who took a traditional course.

3. How long does it typically take to self study calculus 2?

The amount of time it takes to self study calculus 2 can vary depending on individual learning styles and the amount of time dedicated to studying. On average, it can take anywhere from 3-6 months to self study calculus 2.

4. What resources are available for self studying calculus 2?

There are many resources available for self studying calculus 2, including textbooks, online courses, video lectures, practice problems, and study guides. It is important to choose resources that align with your learning style and provide clear explanations and examples.

5. Is it possible to get credit for self studying calculus 2?

It is possible to receive credit for self studying calculus 2 through standardized exams such as the AP Calculus BC exam or the CLEP Calculus exam. However, it is important to check with your institution beforehand to ensure they accept these exams for credit.