Tally results not agreeing with MCNP6

• Thread starter khary23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mcnp6
In summary, it appears that the issue with the incorrect results from the TMESH tally is likely due to a difference in the material definition compared to the FMESH tally. Double-checking all input parameters and trying different dose conversion options may help resolve the problem. It may also be helpful to seek assistance from the software developers or experienced users.
khary23
I am modeling an Ir-192 source centered at the origin to find the dose to water in units of MeV/g. I have done the simulation using both the FMESH and TMESH tallies. The FMESH gives the correct results while the TMESH does not. The tally bins are of the same dimension, the SDEF cards, photon spectrum/probability, materials and dose conversions are all the same. I am assuming that the error is with the dose conversion when using the TMESH tally though I can't seem to be able to nail down exactly what I am doing wrong. I have attached the input decks and associated output. Thank you

Attachments

• TMESH_RDF_Ir2.txt
    3.8 KB · Views: 174
  • TMESH_TALLY_OUTPUT.txt
    534 bytes · Views: 152
  • FMESH_RDF.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 174
  • FMESH_TALLY_OUTPUT.txt
    972 bytes · Views: 172
Engineering news on Phys.org
It appears that the problem is with the material definition for the TMESH tally. In the FMESH tally, the material is defined as "water," but in the TMESH tally, the material is defined as "H2O." This is likely causing the difference in dose conversion between the two tallies. Try changing the material definition in the TMESH tally to "water" and re-running the simulation to see if it gives you the correct results.

Hi there,

I took a look at your input decks and output, and it seems like the problem may indeed be with the dose conversion when using the TMESH tally. It could be a small error in the input parameters or a difference in the way the FMESH and TMESH tallies calculate the dose.

I would suggest double-checking all your input parameters for the TMESH tally and comparing them to the FMESH tally. Make sure they are exactly the same and that there are no typos or errors.

You could also try running the simulations with different dose conversion options for the TMESH tally and see if that makes a difference.

If you are still unable to identify the issue, I would recommend reaching out to the software developers or other users who have experience with the software. They may be able to provide more insight and help you troubleshoot the problem.

Best of luck!

1. Why are my Tally results not matching with MCNP6?

There could be several reasons for this discrepancy. It could be due to input errors, differences in the models used, or limitations in the simulation software itself. It is important to carefully review the input parameters and make sure they are consistent between the two simulations.

2. How can I troubleshoot the differences between my Tally results and MCNP6?

One way to troubleshoot the differences is to compare the input parameters and models used in both simulations. It is also helpful to run sensitivity analyses to identify which parameters have the most impact on the results. Additionally, consulting with other experts in the field or seeking help from the software developers can provide valuable insights.

3. Are there any known limitations in MCNP6 that could cause discrepancies in Tally results?

Yes, like any software, MCNP6 has its own limitations. These can include approximations in the physics models used, numerical errors, and limitations in the computational algorithms. It is important to carefully review the documentation and known issues for MCNP6 to understand its limitations.

4. Can user errors lead to discrepancies in Tally results and MCNP6?

Yes, user errors can certainly contribute to discrepancies in Tally results and MCNP6. It is important to carefully review the input parameters and make sure they are consistent and accurate. Additionally, understanding the physics behind the simulation and how it relates to the input parameters can help identify potential user errors.

5. How can I improve the agreement between my Tally results and MCNP6?

Improving the agreement between Tally results and MCNP6 requires a thorough understanding of the simulation software and the underlying physics. It may also involve running sensitivity analyses and carefully adjusting input parameters to better match the desired results. Collaboration with other experts and seeking help from the software developers can also be beneficial.