Tangran, Inertial Mass and Gravitational Mass

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of mass and its relation to energy and gravity. The analogy of a tangran puzzle with an extra piece is used to explain the idea that mass may not be necessary if gravitational mass and inertial mass are identical. However, it is pointed out that this analogy is not accurate and mass in relativity is actually just rest energy. The conversation also briefly touches on the possibility of werewolves existing and whether they violate conservation of energy.
dom_quixote
Imagine a tangran puzzle, in which an extra piece "y", identical to piece 'x', is maliciously added.

tangran.JPG

No matter how hard the player tries, he will never be able to restore the game's original form, that is: a perfect square.

This illustration has a clear purpose:

If gravitational mass and inertial mass are in fact identical, isn't one of them unnecessary?
Will the mass puzzle be finally solved by discarding one of the masses?

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK and weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
But it's solved with general relativity. Both inertia's and gravity's sources are all kinds of energy, momentum, and stress of matter and radiation. Mass is only one contribution to energy and momentum.

Likes topsquark, dom_quixote and Dale
Your puzzle has two pairs of identical triangles, if we maliciously removed one then it couldn’t be solved.

Is mass a triangle or a square?

Of course, @vanhees71 is correct that this has already been solved. Mass is only inertial mass. Gravitational mass is no longer anything other than an approximation and hasn’t been for more than a century now. I just wanted to point out that the analogy is not very good.

Last edited:
  • Love
Likes topsquark and dom_quixote
Dale said:
I just wanted to point out that the analogy is not very good.

Local Hidden Quantic Variables also not?

You can prove that men and wolves exist. But you can't prove werewolves don't exist :smile: !

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Skeptical
Likes PeroK, weirdoguy, Dale and 1 other person
dom_quixote said:
Local Hidden Quantic Variables also not?

You can prove that men and wolves exist. But you can't prove werewolves don't exist :smile: !
All the werewolves in the movies I've seen (I've never seen one in real life) are significantly larger than in their wolf form than their human form. Therefore they violate conservation of energy and can't exist.

-Dan

• Haha
Likes dom_quixote and Dale
Dale said:
Mass is only inertial mass.
I’d say mass in relativity is only rest energy. The fact that this happens to equal the inertia in an object’s rest frame is a fundamental insight of SR and the conclusion regarding how this translates to gravitational mass in the Newtonian limit a fundamental insight of GR.

Likes topsquark and Dale
Mass in relativity is only invariant mass. Both the measure of inertia and gravitational interaction strength is energy (or the local version of it, i.e., the energy-momentum-stress tensor of matter and radiation in GR).

Likes dom_quixote, topsquark and Dale
topsquark said:
All the werewolves in the movies I've seen (I've never seen one in real life) are significantly larger than in their wolf form than their human form. Therefore they violate conservation of energy and can't exist.

-Dan
If philosophizing is allowed on this forum, I must say this is the breaking point between creationism and conservationism.

Likes topsquark
Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

Likes vanhees71 and Vanadium 50

1. What is Tangran?

Tangran is a term used in physics to describe the relationship between an object's inertial mass and its gravitational mass. It is also known as the "equivalence principle".

2. What is Inertial Mass?

Inertial mass is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its motion. It is determined by the amount of matter an object contains.

3. What is Gravitational Mass?

Gravitational mass is a measure of the strength of an object's gravitational pull. It is determined by the object's mass and distance from other objects.

4. What is the significance of the relationship between Tangran, Inertial Mass, and Gravitational Mass?

The equivalence principle states that an object's inertial mass is equal to its gravitational mass. This is significant because it allows us to use the same value for both types of mass in equations and calculations.

5. How does the concept of Tangran relate to Einstein's theory of general relativity?

Einstein's theory of general relativity is based on the idea that the laws of physics are the same for all observers, regardless of their motion. The equivalence principle, or Tangran, is a fundamental principle of this theory and is used to explain the effects of gravity on objects in space.