Taylor and Wheeler's Spacetime Physics (1st Edition)

In summary, the person is looking for a copy of the first edition of "Spacetime Physics" by Taylor and Wheeler, but has been unable to find one in their country. They were able to download chapter 1 in a good format from Edwin Taylor's website and are now looking for resources for chapters 2 and 3. They mention ABE Books as a possible option for shipping worldwide, but note that importing textbooks can be expensive due to customs tariffs. They also mention that the book is available for $5 USD on Google books, but express concern about additional costs. They are open to other suggestions for obtaining the book.
Junaid Aftab
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to buy a copy of the first edition of the textbook "Spacetime Physics" by Taylor and Wheeler in my country, but I haven't been able to get my hands on a copy of it. Moreover, the e-books available online are poorly scanned with a bad font.

I was able to download chapter 1, along with its solutions, in a reasonably good format from Edwin Taylor's website.

I'd appreiciate if someone can help me locate a resource that has chapter 2 and 3 of the textbook, with hopefully good output.

Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
How about ABE Books? It seems they can ship world-wide.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=spacetime+physics

With the heavy custom duties and import tariffs, directly importing textbooks from abroad costs a fortune here. :/ Unfortunately, none of the online bookstores here seem to have a copy of the book.

But its $5 USD how much can it cost with shipping and customs tarriffs added? The book retailed for $60 to $80 USD new.

I did see that you can view portions of it online at Google books.

jedishrfu said:
But its $5 USD how much can it cost with shipping and customs tarriffs added? The book retailed for $60 to $80 USD new.

I did see that you can view portions of it online at Google books.

The website doesn't list that but I'll definitely try looking more in to. Some imported textbooks from online book stores are available for up to 150-250 dollars, which is too much.

It'd be great if you have any other resource in mind. I'll try Google books as well.

Related to Taylor and Wheeler's Spacetime Physics (1st Edition)

1. What is the main concept of Taylor and Wheeler's Spacetime Physics (1st Edition)?

The main concept of Taylor and Wheeler's Spacetime Physics is the understanding of the relationship between space and time in the context of Einstein's theory of relativity. The book explores the concept of spacetime and how it affects the laws of physics and our understanding of the universe.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in physics?

While this book is written for a general audience, it may be challenging for beginners in physics. It assumes some prior knowledge of classical mechanics and special relativity. However, the authors have included helpful illustrations and explanations throughout the book to make the concepts more accessible.

3. What sets this edition apart from other books on the same topic?

The first edition of Taylor and Wheeler's Spacetime Physics was one of the first books to introduce the concept of spacetime without the use of advanced mathematics. It presents the ideas in a clear and concise manner, making it accessible to a wider audience. It also includes thought-provoking exercises and discussions to help readers deepen their understanding of the subject.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the concepts discussed in this book?

Yes, the concepts of spacetime and relativity have real-world applications in modern physics and technology. For example, GPS systems rely on the principles of relativity to accurately measure time and distance. Understanding these concepts also helps scientists in fields such as astrophysics and quantum mechanics.

5. Can this book be used as a reference for more advanced studies in physics?

While this book provides a solid foundation for understanding the concepts of spacetime and relativity, it may not be sufficient for more advanced studies in physics. However, it can serve as a helpful reference for those looking to refresh their understanding or explore the concepts in more depth.