Taylor Approximation (I think) on Transmission Coefficient

In summary, when αL is much larger than 1, the equation T=(1+\frac{U_{0}^{2}}{4E(U_{0}-E)}sinh^{2}(2 \alpha L))^{-1} can be approximated by T≈\frac{16E(U_{0}-E)}{U_{0}^{2}}e^{(-4 \alpha L)}. This can be shown by using the properties of hyperbolic sine and considering the limit of αL approaching infinity. The first term in the series expansion of 1/(1+x) is kept to obtain the final result.
erok81

Homework Statement

I have this equation:

[tex]T=(1+\frac{U_{0}^{2}}{4E(U_{0}-E)}sinh^{2}(2 \alpha L))^{-1}[/tex]

Where α is given by:

[tex]\alpha = \sqrt{ \frac{2m(U_{0}-E)}{\hbar^{2}}}[/tex]

I have to show that in the limit αL>>1 my equation is approximately given by:

[tex]T=\frac{16E(U_{0}-E)}{U_{0}^{2}}e^{(-4 \alpha L)}[/tex]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I am horrible with taylor approximations and sometimes am not even sure when to use them (hence the "I think" in the subject).

I would assume that we are approximating due to the question. I would also assume that because of that, we want to taylor expand. I didn't try this by hand, but I did put it into Maple and it said that there wasn't a taylor expansion for this particular item.

Am I approaching it correctly? Taylor expansions and when to use them are my goal between spring and summer semester, that's for sure. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay I lied. I tried the expansion again from 1 to 1 instead of 0 to 1. This got me closer, assuming I am doing it right. Except my α term is gone now.

[tex] T=\frac{16(e^{2L})^{2}E(U_{0}-E)}{(1+U_{0}^{2})((e^{2L})^{2}-1)^{2}}[/tex]

With a term involving what looks like the letter O. I've never used Maple to do these, so I'm not familiar with that term.

It looks like if I multiply that all out, I might have something. With the exception of my missing α terms.EDIT: I mistyped this into maple so the solution isn't right. I corrected it, but now I'm not even close. So I have to be doing something drastically long.

Last edited:
Oh...I also expanded over α.

I tried simplifying it and got close but can't quite get there. Not to mention I am missing the α term I need.

You don't need to Taylor expand, nor do you need to substitute in the expression for alpha. Think about it this way: sinh(aL)=1/2(eaL - e-aL). What happens when aL approaches infinity? No calculation required!

Now, what happens to sinh(aL)^2 when aL approaches infinity?

Well...when e-aL has -aL goes to infinity it goes to zero. When eaL goes to inifinity, it diverges to infinity...right?

Then trying the next part, the infinity throws me off again. So I think I am missing something. :confused:

Plus if I try it that way, I can't get my 16 out front. At least I don't think I can.

Last edited:
Ok. I've tried and tried approximate this thing, but I am still not getting anywhere. I've attached my latest attempt in Maple. It's close, but not quite there.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

• taylor expand.PNG
    taylor expand.PNG
    2.7 KB · Views: 394
Start with sinh(x) = (ex - e-x)/2

so sinh2(x) = (ex - e-x)2/4 = ?

That gives me (e2x+e-2x-2)/4

Do the same for sinh2(2αL).

Presumably, e2(2αL) >> 2 >> e-2(2αL),

Now, justify getting rid of the 1

Hmm...can I just get rid of the one because it really has no impact on the final values since it's such a small number. Especially when dealing with infinities on exponents.

So now I have a 4 in the numerator and two exponentials. I have no idea how I can get what I need from that. :confused:

Last edited:
SammyS said:
Do the same for sinh2(2αL).

Presumably, e2(2αL) >> 2 >> e-2(2αL),
What the above implies is that for αL >> 1,
sinh2(2αL)(e2(2αL))/4

So, if you drop the "1 +", you should have your result.

Ok. I'm getting close to understanding this. :shy:

You get sinh2(2αL) → (e2(2αL))/4 because as αL >> 1 the negative exponent drops off to zero?

Assuming that is correct. Do you have any suggestions on what to look up, topics/subjects, in order to get more practice identifying and approximating stuff? Doesn't have to be this type of physics, just anything.

Very often the Taylor series approach works fine. This was just an unusual situation. It helped to have a result to match. Sometimes you must simply "play around" with the functions. Graphing can also help.

Here's a little more straight forward way to show this.

Starting with sinh(x) = (ex - e-x)/2 = (ex/2)(1-e-2x) → (ex/2) for x >> 1 .

So, sinh2(x) → e2x/4 for x >> 1 .

Put that result into T.

As x → ∞, 1/(1+x) → 1/x-(1/x)^2+(1/x)^3-(1/x)^4+…

Keeping the first term should give you the result.

Related to Taylor Approximation (I think) on Transmission Coefficient

What is Taylor approximation and how is it used in the context of transmission coefficient?

Taylor approximation is a mathematical technique used to approximate the value of a function at a particular point by using the values of the function and its derivatives at nearby points. In the context of transmission coefficient, Taylor approximation can be used to approximate the value of the transmission coefficient at a certain energy level by using the values of the transmission coefficient and its derivatives at nearby energy levels.

Why is Taylor approximation useful in the study of transmission coefficient?

Taylor approximation allows us to approximate the value of the transmission coefficient at a specific energy level without having to explicitly calculate the entire function or use complex mathematical techniques. This makes it a useful tool for studying and analyzing the behavior of the transmission coefficient at different energy levels.

What is the relationship between Taylor approximation and the concept of local linearity?

Taylor approximation relies on the assumption of local linearity, which means that the behavior of a function at a particular point can be approximated by a linear function using the values of the function and its derivatives at that point. In the context of transmission coefficient, this means that the behavior of the transmission coefficient at a specific energy level can be approximated by a linear function using the values of the transmission coefficient and its derivatives at that energy level.

Can Taylor approximation accurately predict the behavior of the transmission coefficient at all energy levels?

No, Taylor approximation is only accurate within a certain range of values. As the distance from the point of approximation increases, the accuracy of the approximation decreases. Therefore, Taylor approximation can only provide an estimate of the behavior of the transmission coefficient at nearby energy levels and may not accurately predict its behavior at distant energy levels.

Are there any limitations to using Taylor approximation in the study of transmission coefficient?

Yes, Taylor approximation is limited by the assumption of local linearity and the accuracy of the approximation decreases as the distance from the point of approximation increases. Additionally, it may not be suitable for functions with highly nonlinear behavior or for predicting the behavior of the transmission coefficient at distant energy levels.