Surface Pressure Coefficient Distribution of a Doublet in a Uniform Flow

In summary, this person is trying to find the value of the stream function at the surface. They need to use the equation ##F=\phi+i\psi## and then decompose it into its real and imaginary parts. They also need to know what the pressure is at the stagnation points.
WhiteWolf98
Homework Statement
A flow is defined by the complex potential:

##F=U_{\infty}(z+ \frac {R^2} {z})##

Show that the surface pressure coefficient distribution is given by:

##{C_p}=1-4\sin^{2}\theta##
Relevant Equations
##z=x+iy=re^{i\theta}##
##F=\phi+i\psi##
##\frac {dF} {dz}=u-iv##
So, it's a long way to the solution, but I'm finding it difficult to find a starting point. I'm going to say that as a first step, I should find what the value of the stream function ##\psi## is, at the surface. In order to do this, I need to use the following equation:

##F=\phi+i\psi##

If I can decompose ##F## into its real and imaginary parts, then I can find what ##\psi## is (##\psi=Im(F)##). I would just like to add that for a solid body, ##\psi=0##. In the case of a doublet in a uniform flow, you end up getting a flow around a circle. As no fluid passes through into this boundary, nor out of it (and it's a closed streamline), it can be see as a solid body and thus ##\psi## must be ##0##. I want to prove it anyway as this might be the case here, but perhaps not in a different case. My problem with decomposing ##F(z)## is the ##z## in the denominator. So you'd end up with:

##F(z)=U_{\infty}(z)+\frac {U_{\infty}R^2} {z}=U_{\infty}(x+iy)+\frac {U_{\infty}R^2} {x+iy}##

It's quite easy to know what to do with the first part ##(U_{\infty}x+iU_{\infty}y##), we quite nicely have a real and imaginary part there. But I've no clue what to do with the second part, where we have ##x+iy## in the denominator. Ultimately if I want pressure, I need to know what ##u## and ##v## are at the boundary (I'm assuming anywhere along the circle as no specific point has been given), and to know those I need to know what ##\psi## is.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this help?
$$\frac 1{x+iy} \cdot \frac{x-iy}{x-iy} = \frac{x-iy}{x^2+y^2}$$

vela said:
Does this help?
$$\frac 1{x+iy} \cdot \frac{x-iy}{x-iy} = \frac{x-iy}{x^2+y^2}$$

I... think so, yes! So skipping all the algebra, the expression I end up with is:

##F(z)=U_{\infty}x+\frac {U_{\infty}R^2x} {x^2+y^2}+(U_{\infty}y-\frac {U_{\infty}R^2y} {x^2+y^2})i##​

As:

##\psi=Im(F)##
Then it would follow that:

##\psi=U_{\infty}y-\frac {U_{\infty}R^2y} {x^2+y^2}##
Now knowing what ##\psi## is, I'm able to find what its value (should be) at the stagnation points.

If:

##F(z)=U_{\infty}(z)+\frac {U_{\infty}R^2}{z}##​

Then:

##\frac {dF}{dZ}=U_{\infty}-\frac {U_{\infty}R^2}{z^2}##
At stagnation points:

##\frac {dF}{dZ}=0##​

Hence:

##U_{\infty}-\frac {U_{\infty}R^2}{z^2}=0##
Solving for ##z##:

##z=\pm R##​

If ##x_{st}+iy_{st}=\pm R##, then ##x_{st}=\pm R## and ##y_{st}=0##. Until this point, can I correctly say that there are two stagnation points at ##x=-R## and ##x=R##? I've done a little more, but it's probably best to break it into pieces rather than putting it down all in one go.

What is a surface pressure coefficient?

A surface pressure coefficient is a dimensionless quantity used in fluid dynamics to describe the pressure distribution on a surface. It is defined as the difference between the local pressure and the free stream pressure, divided by the dynamic pressure of the free stream flow.

What is a doublet in a uniform flow?

A doublet is a mathematical model used to represent a source and a sink in a fluid flow. In a uniform flow, the flow velocity and direction are constant throughout the flow field.

How is the surface pressure coefficient distribution of a doublet in a uniform flow calculated?

The surface pressure coefficient distribution of a doublet in a uniform flow is calculated by using the mathematical equations for a doublet and a uniform flow. These equations are then used to determine the pressure distribution on the surface of the object.

What factors affect the surface pressure coefficient distribution of a doublet in a uniform flow?

The surface pressure coefficient distribution of a doublet in a uniform flow is affected by several factors, including the strength and location of the doublet, the velocity of the uniform flow, and the shape and orientation of the object. These factors can be adjusted to manipulate the pressure distribution on the surface.

What is the significance of studying the surface pressure coefficient distribution of a doublet in a uniform flow?

Studying the surface pressure coefficient distribution of a doublet in a uniform flow is important in understanding the aerodynamics of objects in a fluid flow. It can help in the design and optimization of aircraft wings, wind turbines, and other structures that are subject to fluid flow. It also has applications in other fields such as hydrodynamics and acoustics.