Taylor expansion of the relativistic Doppler effect?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in seeing the given equation for the relativistic Doppler effect as a function and giving a first order Taylor expansion. The equation is given and the variables are defined. The problem is then narrowed down to considering the relativistic Doppler effect in the case of a small relative speed but with a positive value. The two expressions for sound are also mentioned. The conversation then focuses on finding a first-order Taylor expansion for the relativistic Doppler effect by expanding the given function in powers of x, where x represents the relative speed over the speed of light. The process of using binomial expansion or taking derivatives to find the series is explained. Finally, it is suggested to compute the cases for square root of
Amara
[Note from mentor: this thread was originally posted in a non-homework forum, therefore it does not use the homework template.]

I have been given an equation for the relativistic doppler effect but I'm struggling to see this as a function and then give a first order Taylor expansion. Any help at all would be appreciated as I'm completely stuck.

fo/fs = √(1 + vrel/c) / √(1-vrel/c)

Where vrel is the relative speed of the source and the observer with respect to each other, c the speed of light, and vrel > 0 is here presumed to mean that the source and
the observer move towards each other. Consider the relativistic Doppler effect in the case of (vrel/c) ≪ 1, but (vrel/c) > 0. Write a first-order Taylor expansion for the relativistic Doppler effect, and show that the result is equivalent to either of the two expressions found for sound.

The expressions for sound are:

i) The source moves with speed vs towards stationary observer

fo/fs = 1 / (1-(vs/v))

ii) The observer moves with speed vo towards the stationary source

fo/fs = 1 + (vo/v)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Amara said:
I have been given an equation for the relativistic doppler effect but I'm struggling to see this as a function and then give a first order Taylor expansion. Any help at all would be appreciated as I'm completely stuck.

fo/fs = √(1 + vrel/c) / √(1-vrel/c)

Where vrel is the relative speed of the source and the observer with respect to each other, c the speed of light, and vrel > 0 is here presumed to mean that the source and
the observer move towards each other. Consider the relativistic Doppler effect in the case of (vrel/c) ≪ 1, but (vrel/c) > 0. Write a first-order Taylor expansion for the relativistic Doppler effect, and show that the result is equivalent to either of the two expressions found for sound.

The expressions for sound are:

i) The source moves with speed vs towards stationary observer

fo/fs = 1 / (1-(vs/v))

ii) The observer moves with speed vo towards the stationary source

fo/fs = 1 + (vo/v)

This should probably be in the Homework section, right? But just to put this into a more obvious form, let [itex]x = v_{rel}/c[/itex]. Then you want to expand the function

[itex]F(x) = \frac{\sqrt{1+x}}{\sqrt{1-x}}[/itex]

in powers of [itex]x[/itex]. Do you know how to do that?

Sorry this is my first question. Because it's university work I thought it would go here.

I started by doing that but I got confused with not having what would be a in a normal Taylor expansion question.

Amara said:
Sorry this is my first question. Because it's university work I thought it would go here.

I started by doing that but I got confused with not having what would be a in a normal Taylor expansion question.

I'm not sure what you mean by a "normal Taylor expansion question". The [itex]F(x)[/itex] that I gave is an ordinary function with an ordinary Taylor expansion.

Okay I think my Taylor expansion needs some work. But getting confirmation that it's in this form helps. Thanks

I still have a problem with this. In a Taylor expansion I have a value to expand about. I am not given a value for this. And the question does not ask for a Maclaurin series.

Amara said:
I still have a problem with this. In a Taylor expansion I have a value to expand about. I am not given a value for this. And the question does not ask for a Maclaurin series.

You're expanding [itex]F(x) = \frac{\sqrt{1+x}}{\sqrt{1-x}}[/itex] about [itex]x=0[/itex]. Do you know how to do that?

Is this a Maclaurin series?

I'm not sure because I don't know if I should use binomial expansion or differentiate withTaylor.

Well, they amount to the same thing. You can use the binomial expansion for a fractional exponent:

[itex](1+x)^\alpha = 1 + \alpha x + \frac{\alpha (\alpha -1)}{1 \cdot 2} x^2 + \frac{\alpha (\alpha -1)(\alpha - 2)}{1 \cdot 2\cdot 3} x^3 + ...[/itex]

If [itex]\alpha[/itex] is fractional, then the series never terminates, but that doesn't matter.

But that's the same series you would get if you took derivatives:

Letting [itex]G(x) = (1+x)^\alpha[/itex],

[itex]G'(x) = \alpha (1+x)^{\alpha - 1}[/itex]
[itex]G''(x) = \alpha (\alpha - 1) (1+x)^{\alpha - 2}[/itex]
[itex]G'''(x) = \alpha(\alpha - 1)(\alpha - 2) (1+x)^{\alpha - 3}[/itex]

So you can write: [itex]G(x) = G(0) + x G'(0) + \frac{x^2}{1 \cdot 2} G''(0) + \frac{x^3}{1 \cdot 2 \cdot 3} G'''(0) + ...[/itex]

You get the same series.

For this problem, if you're going to use binomial expansions, you have to compute the case [itex]\alpha = +\frac{1}{2}[/itex] for [itex]\sqrt{1+x}[/itex] and compute the case [itex]\alpha = -\frac{1}{2}[/itex] for [itex]\sqrt{1-x}[/itex] (using [itex]-x[/itex]) and then you have to multiply the two series, and group the terms by powers of [itex]x[/itex].

Likes Vibhor and Amara
Thank you, this is clear now and has helped a lot

1. What is the Taylor expansion of the relativistic Doppler effect?

The Taylor expansion of the relativistic Doppler effect is a mathematical approximation used to describe the effect of the relative motion between a source emitting electromagnetic radiation and an observer measuring that radiation. It is based on the principles of special relativity and involves expanding the equations for the Doppler effect in a series of terms.

2. How is the Taylor expansion of the relativistic Doppler effect used in scientific research?

The Taylor expansion of the relativistic Doppler effect is used in various fields of science, including astrophysics, cosmology, and high-energy physics. It is used to study the properties of objects moving at high speeds, such as stars, galaxies, and particles in accelerators. It also helps in understanding the expansion of the universe and the effects of gravitational waves.

3. What is the difference between the Taylor expansion and the traditional equation of the relativistic Doppler effect?

The traditional equation of the relativistic Doppler effect is a simplified version that only considers the first two terms of the Taylor expansion. This equation is accurate for objects moving at low speeds, but the Taylor expansion allows for more precise calculations for objects moving at high speeds, where the effects of relativity become significant.

4. Can the Taylor expansion of the relativistic Doppler effect be applied to all types of radiation?

Yes, the Taylor expansion of the relativistic Doppler effect can be applied to any type of electromagnetic radiation, including light, radio waves, and X-rays. It is also applicable to other types of waves, such as sound waves, as long as the relative motion between the source and observer is taken into account.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions involved in using the Taylor expansion of the relativistic Doppler effect?

The Taylor expansion of the relativistic Doppler effect assumes that the source and observer are moving in a straight line with constant velocities relative to each other. It also assumes that the speed of light is constant in all reference frames. Additionally, the higher-order terms in the expansion become more significant at higher speeds, so it may not be accurate for extremely fast-moving objects.