Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect

In summary: Was I right in thinking I'd need to use the abberation formula?Hint: A plane light wave is given in covariant form asA^{\mu}=A \epsilon^{\mu}(k) \exp(-\mathrm{i} k \cdot x).Here x=(c t,\vec{x}) is the space-time four vector and k the wave four vector k=\omega/c,\vec{k}.Now you can use the Lorentz transformation for a four vector to transform the k vector from one frame of reference to another one, which leads to the formulae you cited. Also note the
Buxton

Homework Statement

In Minkowski spacetime, two observers, A and B, are moving at uniform speeds u and v, respectively, along different trajectories, each parallel to the y-axis of some inertial frame S. Observer A emits a photon with frequency nu_A that travels in the x-direction in S and is received by observer B with frequency nu_B. Show that the Doppler shift nu_B/nu_A in the photon frequency is independent of whether A and B are traveling in the same direction or opposite directions.

Homework Equations

$$\lambda/\lambda' = \nu_B/\nu_A = \gamma(1-\beta\cos\theta)$$

Aberration formula: $$\cos\theta' = (\cos\theta - \beta)/(1-\beta\cos\theta) = -\beta$$
(for transverse case)

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is apparently that the Doppler shift is independent of the relative direction of motion. I have tried to transform to the frame S' where B is stationary, finding the velocity of A using the addition of velocities formula - to then get gamma. I have used the abberation formula to insert cos(theta') into the Doppler shift formula above to get $$\nu_B/\nu_A = \gamma(1+\beta^2)$$Plugging in the velocity of the emitter A in frame S' doesn't seem to get the required result.

Physics news on Phys.org
100 views and no replies?!

Hello, Buxton. Welcome to PF!

It's not unusual for it to take a day or so to get a response to a question.

Are you familiar with working with 4-vectors? Especially the energy-momentum 4-vector of a photon and the 4-velocity of a particle? If so, I think you can use them to get the answer without too much calculation.

If you know the 4-velocity of a particle and the energy-momentum 4-vector of a photon, do you know how to use them to get the frequency of the photon as "observed" by the particle?

TSny said:
Hello, Buxton. Welcome to PF!

It's not unusual for it to take a day or so to get a response to a question.

Are you familiar with working with 4-vectors? Especially the energy-momentum 4-vector of a photon and the 4-velocity of a particle? If so, I think you can use them to get the answer without too much calculation.

If you know the 4-velocity of a particle and the energy-momentum 4-vector of a photon, do you know how to use them to get the frequency of the photon as "observed" by the particle?

Hello TSny, Thank you very much for your help. I've had a look into the method you've suggested. Am I right in thinking you get:
$$\nu_B/\nu_A = \gamma_v/\gamma_u$$
This is achieved using the formula for Doppler shift and noting that the photon 4-momentum is constant along the worldline.
This is independent of the directions of the velocities since the velocities are squared in the gamma factors.
I hope that's right!

Just wondering... can you see where my initial method went wrong? I'm sure it's possible to do it in this way but I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

Buxton said:
Hello TSny, Thank you very much for your help. I've had a look into the method you've suggested. Am I right in thinking you get:
$$\nu_B/\nu_A = \gamma_v/\gamma_u$$

That's the answer I got, too.

Just wondering... can you see where my initial method went wrong? I'm sure it's possible to do it in this way but I'm not sure what I am doing wrong.

I would need to see more details of your calculation, but I think it should lead to the right answer. But it looks like it might get messy this way.

TSny said:
That's the answer I got, too.

I would need to see more details of your calculation, but I think it should lead to the right answer. But it looks like it might get messy this way.

Was I right in thinking I'd need to use the abberation formula?

Hint: A plane light wave is given in covariant form as
[tex]A^{\mu}=A \epsilon^{\mu}(k) \exp(-\mathrm{i} k \cdot x).[/tex]
Here [itex]x=(c t,\vec{x})[/itex] is the space-time four vector and [itex]k[/itex] the wave four vector [itex]k=\omega/c,\vec{k}[/itex].

Now you can use the Lorentz transformation for a four vector to transform the [itex]k[/itex] vector from one frame of reference to another one, which leads to the formulae you cited. Also note the dispersion relation for electromagnetic waves: [itex]k^0=\omega(\vec{k})=|\vec{k}|[/itex].

What is the Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect?

The Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect is a phenomenon in physics where the frequency of electromagnetic radiation (such as light) appears to change when observed from different reference frames that are moving at high speeds relative to each other.

How does the Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect differ from the Classical Doppler Effect?

The Classical Doppler Effect only takes into account the relative velocities of the source and observer, while the Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect also considers the effects of time dilation and length contraction due to the high speeds of the reference frames.

What is the formula for calculating the Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect?

The formula for the Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect is f' = f√[(c+v)/(c-v)], where f is the frequency of the electromagnetic radiation as observed by the source, f' is the frequency as observed by the observer, c is the speed of light, and v is the relative velocity between the source and observer.

Does the Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect have any real-world applications?

Yes, the Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect has been observed in many real-world scenarios, such as the redshift of light from distant galaxies, the frequency shift of satellite signals due to their high speeds, and the blue or red shift of light from objects moving at high speeds in our own galaxy.

Can the Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect be used to measure the speed of an object?

No, the Relativistic Transverse Doppler Effect cannot be used to measure the speed of an object directly. It can only be used to determine the relative velocity between two reference frames. Other methods, such as radar or laser ranging, are needed to determine the absolute speed of an object.