TDS2004B Oscilloscope Accuracy Determination

In summary, the oscilloscope data was sampled at 0.00004 seconds intervals and the trigger point was set at 1250. The data was recorded in CH1 and CH2 with vertical and horizontal units of V and s, respectively. The vertical scale was set to 10V and 20V while the horizontal scale was set to 0.01V and 0.01s. The data was also plotted in Y and Pt Fmt, and the yzero was set to the average of the data points in CH1 and CH2.
Jamison Lahman
Hello,
I recently did the Franck-Hertz experiment (a short summary of the experiment can be found here http://inpp.ohiou.edu/~roche/3701_web/man-fh-a3b.pdf).
I am currently doing data analysis and am having a hard time determining the accuracy of the oscilloscope, the Tektronix TDS2004B. I am fairly certain it was a DC current and according to page 131 of the manual (found here: http://inpp.ohiou.edu/~roche/3701_web/tektronix-tds.pdf) the accuracy of a DC reading is ±(3% × reading + 0.1 div + 1 mV).
My voltages range from 12V-65V so the precision of the smaller measurements is about 5x that of higher measurements? Additionally, I'm plotting current as a function of voltage and I can't find any mention of accuracy of current measurements. Am I supposed to assume current measurements are also within 3% according to Ohm's Law? I don't know exactly how oscilloscopes work, but I was under the impression they have many capacitors and transistors to get very high impedances so I am skeptical the assumption is applicable. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks. (If any over information is important, let me know.)

Likes berkeman
Engineering news on Phys.org
Jamison Lahman said:
Hello,
I recently did the Franck-Hertz experiment (a short summary of the experiment can be found here http://inpp.ohiou.edu/~roche/3701_web/man-fh-a3b.pdf).
I am currently doing data analysis and am having a hard time determining the accuracy of the oscilloscope, the Tektronix TDS2004B. I am fairly certain it was a DC current and according to page 131 of the manual (found here: http://inpp.ohiou.edu/~roche/3701_web/tektronix-tds.pdf) the accuracy of a DC reading is ±(3% × reading + 0.1 div + 1 mV).
My voltages range from 12V-65V so the precision of the smaller measurements is about 5x that of higher measurements? Additionally, I'm plotting current as a function of voltage and I can't find any mention of accuracy of current measurements. Am I supposed to assume current measurements are also within 3% according to Ohm's Law? I don't know exactly how oscilloscopes work, but I was under the impression they have many capacitors and transistors to get very high impedances so I am skeptical the assumption is applicable. Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks. (If any over information is important, let me know.)
Welcome to the PF.

Sorry, I clicked into your links briefly, but my attention span is short at the moment, unfortunately. (I'm at work)

Could you please show us the math that you are asking about? Please show your calcs using the datasheet accuracy and precision specs. What are you using for the current measurements? A current probe on the 'scope? What are the current probe's specs?

Sorry again if I'm skimming too much.

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

Sorry, I clicked into your links briefly, but my attention span is short at the moment, unfortunately. (I'm at work)

Could you please show us the math that you are asking about? Please show your calcs using the datasheet accuracy and precision specs. What are you using for the current measurements? A current probe on the 'scope? What are the current probe's specs?

Sorry again if I'm skimming too much.
Thank you!
Basically, I have recorded data,
19vyibU.png
where the stars are the position of local maximum used in determining the period of atom excitation. Plotting the local maximum as a function of integers yields this graph,
mRRyYP9.png
to which the residual plot for linear regression looks like
xlDtjMJ.png
. As you can see on the residual plot, the precision of the later data points is much less pronounced which makes me somewhat uneasy. Basically, I am trying to figure out what the error bars associated with the residual plot should be. Right now, they're just a constant 3% of the voltage reading.
As for the current measurements, a cord, I am amusing a probe, was connected directly from the 3B Scientific™ Power Supply Unit for Franck-Hertz to the oscilloscope. I think the probe specifications can be found on page 137 (page 115 of the actual manual) http://inpp.ohiou.edu/~roche/3701_web/tektronix-tds.pdf. With this being said, I am not sure what this information means or how to use it to find accuracy of current readings. Additionally, the specs for the PSU can be found here: https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products/3b-scientific-power-supply-unit-franck-hertz-experiment-115v-3/p-4085788#tab2 and "Output A for collector current I: I = UA ™ 7nA/V (0 to 12V)." maybe be of some importance though I am unsure.

The raw CSV file from the oscilloscope had the following included:
Record Length 2500
Sample Interval 0.00004
Trigger Point 1250

Source: CH1 CH2
Vertical Units: V A
Vertical Scale: 10 20
Vertical Offset: -44.4 -48.8
Horizontal Units: s s
Horizontal Scale: 0.01 0.01
Pt Fmt: Y Y
Yzero: 0 0
Probe Atten: 10 10
Model Number TDS2004B TDS2004B
Serial Number C031499 C031499
Firmware Version FV:v22.16 FV:v22.16

Also, not sure if its important, but I am using Libre Calc 32-bit

1. What is the purpose of determining the accuracy of an oscilloscope?

The purpose of determining the accuracy of an oscilloscope is to ensure that the measurements and readings displayed on the device are precise and reliable. This is important for accurate data analysis and experimentation in scientific research.

2. How is accuracy determined for an oscilloscope?

Accuracy is determined for an oscilloscope by comparing the readings displayed on the device to a known and precise reference signal. This reference signal is usually generated by a calibrated signal generator.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of an oscilloscope?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of an oscilloscope. These include internal noise, external interference, bandwidth limitations, and improper calibration or adjustments.

4. How can the accuracy of an oscilloscope be improved?

The accuracy of an oscilloscope can be improved by regularly calibrating the device, using high-quality probes, minimizing external interference, and selecting a suitable measurement range for the signal being measured.

5. Are there any industry standards for oscilloscope accuracy?

Yes, there are industry standards for oscilloscope accuracy. The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) has set standards for the accuracy of oscilloscopes, specifically IEC 61010-1 and IEC 61010-2-030 for safety requirements and performance testing, respectively.