Technician getting an Engineering degree -- Will my work experience transfer?

In summary: You are probably looking at most of 3-6 credits towards a degree that typically requires 120 semester credits to graduate. You just won't get much even with valuable field experience..Another area you should explore is CLEP. Most state colleges / universities are obligated to accept CLEP exams for credit. Often these exams allow a student to get credit for elective courses so the student can focus their time on more classes in their field of study or make for a lighter semester load during their enrollment. .As far as pay scale, Technicians can often make more than entry level engineers. However, even a skilled technician hits the ceiling salary far
tensor0910
Gold Member
I work now as a technician on a military base. Looking to get my Bachelors in ME. The problem is I have zero experience in engineering ( as expected ). No internships, nothing.

I guess my question is will I have to start from the bottom of the pay scale when I graduate? By the time I am finished I estimate ill be making 60kish as a technician, so I would want something in that range or higher.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you may get some type of credit, but it will be minimal ie 3-6 credits via some type of program that will require proof of knowledge applicable to engineering. You are probably looking at most of 3-6 credits towards a degree that typically requires 120 semester credits to graduate. You just won't get much even with valuable field experience.
Another area you should explore is CLEP. Most state colleges / universities are obligated to accept CLEP exams for credit. Often these exams allow a student to get credit for elective courses so the student can focus their time on more classes in their field of study or make for a lighter semester load during their enrollment.
As far as pay scale, Technicians can often make more than entry level engineers. However, even a skilled technician hits the ceiling salary far quicker than the engineer. As a technician going for an engineering degree, you will quickly note how much more common sense you might have acquired vs engineers who haven't had any real world experience. That experience will set you apart from the entry level engineer once you do graduate.

Likes Dale
You are the sum of your experiences, so all of them matter. How much depends on how relevant the experience is.

Also, many if not mot companies don't have a "pay scale"; you get paid what you and they agree you are worth. Having a history of doing any job well enough to have received raises tells the employer that there is less risk in hiring you than a kid who just got out of college at 22 and has yet to demonstrate it. That has value.

Likes CWatters, Dr. Courtney and Dale
In my field having military tech experience is a very valuable thing. A degree may get you past HR, the tech experience would get you a job.

As mentioned above techs can make more than engineers. Many of the techs at my fab make more than me. I've seen engineers "promote" themselves to tech for better pay and work life balance. I've never seen it go the other way…

Likes russ_watters
CalcNerd said:
Perhaps you may get some type of credit, but it will be minimal ie 3-6 credits via some type of program that will require proof of knowledge applicable to engineering. You are probably looking at most of 3-6 credits towards a degree that typically requires 120 semester credits to graduate. You just won't get much even with valuable field experience.
Another area you should explore is CLEP. Most state colleges / universities are obligated to accept CLEP exams for credit. Often these exams allow a student to get credit for elective courses so the student can focus their time on more classes in their field of study or make for a lighter semester load during their enrollment.
As far as pay scale, Technicians can often make more than entry level engineers. However, even a skilled technician hits the ceiling salary far quicker than the engineer. As a technician going for an engineering degree, you will quickly note how much more common sense you might have acquired vs engineers who haven't had any real world experience. That experience will set you apart from the entry level engineer once you do graduate.

It depends on the employer.
Very true.
It also depends on the position for which you interview, how well you sell yourself, the job market at the time. Having a new BS in Engineering + actual technician experience is valuable. Presented correctly to future employers, you may find it advantageous & lucrative.

Then there is the "older, more mature" aspect: some employers seek that out and are willing to pay for it.

Worry not: typical published "starting salary survey" data is just that.

It depends on how hands/practical on ME job you want to eventually get. For many ME jobs, having lots of practical hands on experience setting up experiments, doing measurements, operating machines is not only a plus, it is crucial. Theory alone gets you nowhere, and I think this is where your technician experience can help a ton.

Likes symbolipoint and tensor0910
CalcNerd said:

THanks for the response CalcNerd. Thats what I'm learning so far. Our technicians' salary cap is a respectable wage, but I think plateauing will cause me to become complacent. Plus I have kids and inflation is showing no signs of stopping. I'm just hoping I don't have to take too much of a hit when I switch careers.

paralleltransport said:
It depends on how hands/practical on ME job you want to eventually get. For many ME jobs, having lots of practical hands on experience setting up experiments, doing measurements, operating machines is not only a plus, it is crucial. Theory alone gets you nowhere, and I think this is where your technician experience can help a ton.

I hope you're right. I haven't looked for jobs specifying those things, but I'll give it a glance. Thanks!

Large employers and government organisations tend to have pay grades and benefit schemes. Smaller/private companies tend to pay what they have to to get the right employees and have bonuses and possibly stock options. That's a bit of a generalisation though.

Lot depends on your outlook on life but I've worked for both large and small companies and found working for smaller companies much more enjoyable. Typically found they pay better, give you more responsibility and more flexible working hours.

Likes Tom.G

1. Can my work experience count towards obtaining an Engineering degree?

Yes, in most cases, work experience can count towards obtaining an Engineering degree. Many universities have programs that allow students to earn credit for their work experience, as long as it is relevant to the degree. However, this will vary depending on the specific university and program.

2. How many years of work experience do I need to transfer towards an Engineering degree?

The number of years of work experience needed to transfer towards an Engineering degree will vary depending on the university and program. Some universities may require a minimum of two years, while others may require more. It is important to check with the specific university to determine their requirements.

3. Do I need to have a specific type of work experience to transfer towards an Engineering degree?

The type of work experience needed to transfer towards an Engineering degree will vary depending on the university and program. Generally, the work experience should be relevant to the field of engineering and demonstrate technical skills and knowledge. Some universities may also require work experience in a specific subfield of engineering.

4. Will my work experience reduce the time needed to complete an Engineering degree?

Yes, transferring work experience towards an Engineering degree can potentially reduce the time needed to complete the degree. This is because the credits earned through work experience can count towards the required courses for the degree. However, the amount of time saved will depend on the number of credits transferred and the specific degree program.

5. How do I prove my work experience for it to be counted towards an Engineering degree?

The process of proving work experience for it to be counted towards an Engineering degree will vary depending on the university and program. Some may require documentation such as letters of recommendation, job descriptions, or a portfolio of work. It is important to check with the specific university for their requirements and procedures.