Technologies for creating a pointer

• Thread starter Avatrin
  • Start date
In summary, a laser pointer can be used to point at something distant during the day, but an AR headset or CCTV camera is better for pointing at something specific.
Avatrin
Hi

I am not sure if this is the right Place to ask this question, but there is no board here on exploratory engineering.

Laser pointers are great for pointing out something if the spectators know the general direction they should be looking at. Lasers are better when it's dark than light since then you can see the beam more easily. Heck, during night the viewers may not even need to be told beforehand in which direction they should be looking since the beam is visible.

However, let's say I want to point at something very far away, and it's during the day. Let's say I have to point out a specific mountain peak or a specific window on a building. Heck, my hand is probably not steady enough, so I'll need a machine to do it for me.

What can I use to make the pointer? A really strong laser is probably not a good solution in this case. An AR headset With something like a video game HUD could work. However, I want to know what else can be used. I am not asking about something that is available off the shelf right now; I am rather just curious about how physics and Technology can be used to solve this particular problem.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Take a photo or point a CCTV camera at it and point to the place on the image where you want to direct their attention.

Perhaps there should be an app for this. Perhaps someone knows of an app that can be used already.

Likes berkeman
@.Scott gave good advice. I'm reminded of a forest ranger's presentation at Zion National Park. The audience was seated outside looking at some mountain peaks in the background. The ranger used visual aids (I think printed, but it could have been a screen) to point out specific features close up. It was a very effective presentation technique.

Hmm, yeah, but that doesn't work well in all instances; While it works for the mountain peak, it doesn't really work for my example of a specific window; The window I was visualizing when I wrote that wasn't a distinctive one. I was thinking of a window of an apartment complex.

Also, what if the target is moving?

So, I am thinking of something that would be nearly as efficient as a laser with a visible beam or a video game HUD. Heck, even something that could shoot lightning With precision would work (With the disadvantage that it could damage the target).

Avatrin said:
or a video game HUD.
Yes, have your audience members wear Google Glass...

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/IMK....com/assets/2643479/glass_pm_feature_lead.jpg
glass_pm_feature_lead.jpg

Attachments

• glass_pm_feature_lead.jpg
    glass_pm_feature_lead.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 589
If you ionise the air, possibly with a UV laser, you might then launch a lightning strike pointer. It would be noisy, cause EMI, and be very dangerous in the wrong hands. Call it Thor after the Norse god.

Maybe replace all live rounds in an ammunition clip with a tracer that burns or melts in about one second. It could trail white smoke during the day or burn bright enough to be seen at night. Maybe dry ice with glycol that melts in flight.

You cannot “draw” on clear air unless you can fog it with smoke. For distant objects you must eliminate parallax by fogging in depth at some distance from the group. Fog will obstruct vision.

So it comes down to mobile phones with triaxial accelerometers and magnetic sensors that super impose a target on the camera image. The orientation of the demonstrator's phone with fixed cross hairs is broadcast, to the crowd's phones, who then centre the target by aiming their phone.

Likes Avatrin and anorlunda

1. How does a laser pointer work?

A laser pointer works by using a laser diode, which emits a beam of light through a small lens. The beam of light is then focused and directed through a series of mirrors, which creates a visible dot of light. The laser diode is powered by batteries, and a switch allows the user to turn the laser on and off.

2. What are the different types of pointers?

There are several types of pointers, including laser pointers, LED pointers, and traditional stick pointers. Each type has its own advantages and uses. Laser pointers are the most commonly used and have the farthest range, while LED pointers are more affordable and have a longer battery life.

3. How accurate are pointers?

The accuracy of a pointer depends on several factors, such as the type of pointer, the quality of the optics, and the distance from the pointer to the target. Laser pointers are generally the most accurate, with a margin of error of less than 1 millimeter.

4. Can pointers be harmful to eyes?

Yes, pointers can be harmful to eyes if used improperly. Laser pointers, in particular, can cause damage if pointed directly into someone's eyes. It is important to always use pointers responsibly and never point them at people or animals.

5. How have pointer technologies evolved over time?

Pointer technologies have evolved significantly over time, with the development of more powerful and precise laser diodes, smaller and more efficient batteries, and improved optics. Additionally, advancements in software and connectivity have allowed for the use of wireless and remote pointers, making presentations and lectures more convenient and interactive.